Week 4

Mano

5 hours ago, HLB said:

In college, beat writers attend when allowed.  Sometimes practices are closed to the media.  At the NFL level, practices are not closed, because league offices require that media has access.

In college, Mondays are typically when the HC meets with the media in a structured setting.  At midweek, there is a media conference all, where media from various locations sit in on the Q&A.  Most questions are "not" answered.  At the college level, there is not a lot of "contact" at practice.  Most practices are not in full gear.  You don't always know who's nursing an injury or not, because they're in shorts, shoulder pads and helmet; and they're not scrimmaging.  Even still, there are players who won't suit up and go through the practices, yet they play on Saturday.

You have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Oh, okay, so beat writers were barred from the practice on Monday the 16th or Wed. the 18th?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, HLB said:

I'm sorry - I misunderstood.  Because in my neck of the woods, we don't hold the conference championship in such high glory.  When we talk about a championship, we're talking about a National Championship.  Anything less is - well, less - and not as important.

Well that's a profound fucking statement.  A national championship is more important than a conference championship?  So glad you're here to impart this critical wisdom.

5 hours ago, HLB said:

I don't care if the game was played at Ole Miss and in September.  When I saw how Ole Miss played versus Memphis, I realized that they had not improved much from last season, and that they weren't going to win many games.  They are 6th in the SEC West, behind BAMA, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M and Mississippi State (five losses).  They're already lost to Memphis (6th loss).  They won't beat Missouri (7th loss) and they might not beat Vanderbilt (8th loss).  And that doesn't include the loss to Cal.

Yeah, about your predictions...

5 hours ago, HLB said:

As for Cal, when I saw that they beat UW on the road, I realized that they were better than I anticipated.  And between that realization and the realization of how bad Ole Miss was going to be, it was hard to see Cal losing, and this game as a "pick 'em".  Cal is going to win 8 games, for sure.  Between Utah, USC, Oregon and Wazzu, they will win two more, for a total of 10 wins.  With a couple of breaks, they might win 11 games, their division and play for the PAC12 Championship.

And because you don't follow the Pac-12, you assumed that this was some kind of outlier, when in fact Cal beat UW last season, by virtually the same margin, but only finished with 7 wins.

And, lol, about your predictions once more...

6 hours ago, HLB said:

Typographical errors happen all the time, and it is the editor's job to catch those mistakes and correct them.  Writers typically write fast, and occasionally make mistakes.

As an editor, I can tell you this is complete hogwash. Editors are not proofreaders. Your job is write accurately and in a grammatically correct fashion.  My job is to make sure the facts and other content is accurate, and I'll catch typos when I see them. As I tell my writers, turn in your best work. If you get it right in the first place, I don't have to try to find it and fix it.

2 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

As an editor, I can tell you this is complete hogwash. Editors are not proofreaders. You job is write accurately and in a grammatically direct fashion.  My job is to make sure the facts and other content is accurate, and I'll catch typos when i see them. As I tell my writers, turn in your best work. If you get it right in the first place, I don't have try to find it and fix it.

Not to mention MS Word software has, for a generation now, captured all grammatical and spelling errors for everyone who uses it.  You have to literally be TRYING to commit errors if you commit them on a regular basis.

P.S. I was a journalism major at UO, were you?

57 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

It was essentially the same, but without the nickname or the buttons. Remember, we had to go to the library, and then we had to type that shit out. - on paper!

Bro, I'm not a Gen-Z baby.  In 1998 I was going to the library for books, periodicals, and also making actual telephone calls (not e-mails!) for the required interviews.  I think there's probably about a 1% difference in our college experience, but about a 70% difference between ours and anyone in college now.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, MussMan said:

A person doesn't misuse "click" for "clique" because they're typing too fast. Especially since you took the time to put the word in quotes. You misuse the word "your" for "you're" nearly every time you use it.

Half of what you claim as fact is false and made up by you. Don't come in here touting your credentials as a writer and educating us on how weak the Pac-12 is along with your revisionist history of our own football programs and expect anyone to take what you say seriously.

It's amazing this clown is still going. What's his handle again? STD or HLB? I get confused.  He's been proven wrong on so many levels, yet he has a dump truck full of excuses for everything.

And the story just keeps changing with every lie or mistake.. I haven't seen a beat down like this since @Chile_Ute turned a monkey loose with a banana in his pants..

5 hours ago, utenation said:

It's amazing this clown is still going. What's his handle again? STD or HLB? I get confused.  He's been proven wrong on so many levels, yet he has a dump truck full of excuses for everything.

And the story just keeps changing with every lie or mistake.. I haven't seen a beat down like this since @Chile_Ute turned a monkey loose with a banana in his pants..

Ahhh...good times, and that was no banana

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:14 PM, HLB said:

Actually, the SEC is not very predictable this season.  In the West, there are four teams with a viable chance of winning the division.  I think this year BAMA's defense is porous and they may lose a game or two, to the trio of TXA&M, LSU and Auburn

@Jalapeno …. Nailed it.

Archived