2020 Season

Scscsc89

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Liberty couldn't go to Coastal Carolina so BYU volunteers to go since ESPN GameDay is visiting Coastal Carolina.  Yes that same BYU team who chickened out of playing Washington.  That's why Utah really has only one P5 team.

They didn't chicken out to play Washington. They wanted a guarantee that Washington couldn't provide.

Yeah, UW's offer was ridiculous. They insisted on BYU traveling to Seattle with no payout for the game, and UW would keep their 48 hr. cancellation right, which as it turned out they would have used in order to play the Utes instead.

And Utah DOES have only one P5 team. According to Sagarin, BYU's SOS is #106. Interestingly, he ranks Coastal's SOS at #107.  

8 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Yeah, UW's offer was ridiculous. They insisted on BYU traveling to Seattle with no payout for the game, and UW would keep their 48 hr. cancellation right, which as it turned out they would have used in order to play the Utes instead.

And Utah DOES have only one P5 team. According to Sagarin, BYU's SOS is #106. Interestingly, he ranks Coastal's SOS at #107.  

It wasn't UW's offer, it was the PAC12's stipulations.  BYU didn't want to be the backup to Utah, but they were the backup to Liberty this week.

Yep — the pac-12 wants conference games to be the highest priority— clearly they make more tv money that way. (Although BYU may have garnered more eyeballs)

It’s almost as if it makes sense and is no one’s “fault”.   How’s  the Internet supposed to handle that?

7 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Is the no payout actually true? I would wager visiting team gets paid something, but I have heard this claim ( without substantiation ).

I assumed the Deseret News was believable.

In reality, the Pac-12 is looking to put Utah against Washington. It was just fun to nick No. 8 BYU in the process by offering a road game with no payout, being forced to swallow Pac-12 health protocols and maybe cancel the game on Thursday.

24 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I assumed the Deseret News was believable.

In reality, the Pac-12 is looking to put Utah against Washington. It was just fun to nick No. 8 BYU in the process by offering a road game with no payout, being forced to swallow Pac-12 health protocols and maybe cancel the game on Thursday.

I do not, particularly when it comes to BYU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_News

3 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Fair enough, but at least I provided a source to the information I read. I've seen no substantiation the other way. I just don't think there's any evidence that BYU "chickened out." It's all water under the bridge anyway. 

Don't take my "Never trust a duck" too seriously, was just kidding. Definitely wouldn't trust the LDS mouthpiece on the subject though and yes saw that article previously. Don't think anyone chickened out, was difficult to get done for variety of reasons. Was ill timed though given their "anyone, anytime, anyplace" bravado basically same day. Was ripe for the pickin'.

5 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Fair enough, but at least I provided a source to the information I read. I've seen no substantiation the other way. I just don't think there's any evidence that BYU "chickened out." It's all water under the bridge anyway. 

I don't think they "chickened out", however I do not doubt reports that they wanted to see where they stood in the CFP rankings before agreeing to any game. If they looked like they were a lock for a NY6 bowl, I doubt they would be scheduling any additional games. The LDS church considers their program as a missionary tool, and would not risk the large platform a NY6 bowl gives them. I don't doubt their players, coaches and even AD would want to play, but that decision would come from their board of regents.

Archived