2022 Bowls

Scscsc89

On 12/17/2022 at 2:54 PM, Orange said:

Florida looks like hot mayonnaise.  

I told you a few weeks ago they were a hot mess. 

Congrats on a fantastic season. Highly ranked and 10 wins in a good conference. Your fans deserve this. 

Not sure what Smith’s contract looks like but OSU should keep the checkbook open with this guy. 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:20 AM, trickydlck said:

Of the two teams, curious as to how Texas is the one that is considered to be "trending up"

Texas' 2022 recruiting class came in at #5.  Washington's recruiting class came in at #94.

Texas' 2023 recruiting class sits at #5.  Washington's recruiting class sits at #19.

In the 2022 transfer portal rankings, Texas came in at #5, including the #1 QB, while UW is at #25.

Texas also has the #1 QB in the nation coming in, in the 2023 class.

And last, I never said that UW wasn't improving, but I think (and it's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it) Texas is a year or two from making an impact on the national scene.  UW (IMO) is not trending towards being an impact on the national scene of CFB.

No one said you had to agree.  It's just my opinion in making my pick for the game.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:44 PM, utenation said:

I told you a few weeks ago they were a hot mess. 

Congrats on a fantastic season. Highly ranked and 10 wins in a good conference. Your fans deserve this. 

Not sure what Smith’s contract looks like but OSU should keep the checkbook open with this guy. 

Just signed him for a 5-year contract extension.  Trent Bray may be a tough guy to keep after next season.  

On 12/17/2022 at 2:50 PM, HLB said:

Texas' 2022 recruiting class came in at #5.  Washington's recruiting class came in at #94.

Texas' 2023 recruiting class sits at #5.  Washington's recruiting class sits at #19.

In the 2022 transfer portal rankings, Texas came in at #5, including the #1 QB, while UW is at #25.

And last, I never said that UW wasn't improving, but I think (and it's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it) Texas is a year or two from making an impact on the national scene.  UW (IMO) is not trending towards being an impact on the national scene of CFB.

No one said you had to agree.  It's just my opinion in making my pick for the game.

Yeah, we just saw what recruiting rankings are worth.  30-3, bitch.  

On 12/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, Orange said:

UF finished the regular season 3rd in the SEC in rushing.  

They have 26 rushing yards with 10 mins to go.     

If you noticed in my picks (where I picked OSU to win decidedly).

Florida's leading rusher (QB Richardson) opted out of the bowl and declared for the draft.  Their second leading rusher didn't play.  Ten players opted out, including two starting O-linemen.  Since the start of the season, Florida has lost 40 players due to injury, transfer, or opting out and going to the NFL.

Today OSU had a great win.  They're the best OSU team I've seen in a very long time.  But understand, they didn't defeat "Florida".  The defeated "Florida-lite".

On 12/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, HLB said:

Oh I see. You are going off unknown recruiting results rather than the games themselves. That makes complete sense. 

Because Texas has never historically pissed away tons of talent on their campus with shitty records. 

Once again, more proof that your logic is outstanding. 

On 12/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, Orange said:

Yeah, we just saw what recruiting rankings are worth.  30-3, bitch.  

Again - as I just posted:  OSU didn't beat "Florida", they beat Florida-lite.  Ask Utah and @utenation about the difference between the Florida team that OSU just played, compared to the Florida team that Utah played in week one.

Two completely different teams, in large part because of player's opting out, including their leading rusher and QB.

On 12/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, utenation said:

Oh I see. You are going off unknown recruiting results rather than the games themselves. That makes complete sense. 

Because Texas has never historically pissed away tons of talent on their campus with shitty records. 

Once again, more proof that your logic is outstanding. 

Look at the teams that "repeatedly" make the Final Four in the playoffs.  What's the common denominator?  They all have high recruiting results.  Texas hasn't recruited this high since Mack Brown left.  When Mack Brown was at Texas, they had the talent and they played for the NC.

You have to have the horses to run the race, if the race is to win a NC.  UW doesn't have those horses, nor at those horses lining up to go to UW.  But Texas has started getting those horses since Sark has gone to Texas, and after he learned from Saban.

Look at Lincoln Riley .... He knows what it takes to win a NC.  He knows that having the right talent is key.  That's why he brought in 30-plus players from the transfer portal, including several from OU (including Williams).  He recognized that the talent wasn't there.  That's why I made my prediction of an undefeated season, conference championship, and double-digit wins.  He flipped the script at USC, in one season, by bringing in better talent.  And if Williams doesn't pull a hamstring in the CCG, they win the conference and go to the CFP.

What Riley didn't do was bring in enough to provide a strong defense.  Most of what he brought it was on the offensive side of the ball.

It all depends on your goals.  You take pride in having a team loaded with 3-star recruits that are "coached up".  Whittingham does a great job of getting the most out of his players.  And if your goal is to win the division and win your CCG and play in the Rose Bowl, then congratulations - those goals have been achieved.  But if your goal is to play for a NC, you're not going to get there with 3-start recruits.  No one in the PAC12 has won a CFP game, and no PAC12 team has won an outright NC since Pete Carroll bought his teams.  And what kind of players did Carroll bring in?  They weren't 3-star recruits.  They were 4 and 5-star recruits.

So, if you're wanting to play for a NC, you have to have the better recruits.  And the goal for Texas is to be in a position to play for a NC.  And they are moving in that direction by drawing in better recruits, which is why I say they are trending up.

As for their records .... The records mean nothing when the two teams haven't faced the same competition.  And in my opinion, Texas has faced better competition in 2022, compared to UW.

In short (and I could have said this in my prediction, but I knew it would set off a wave of crying from the likes of individuals such as yourself) Texas has faced a tougher schedule, has better players (thanks to recruiting and the transfer portal) and will consequently win the game.

And I "love" Michael Penix.  I love Cam Rising.  They among several some very good players in the PAC12.  But individual teams, in the PAC12, do not have as many of these players as do teams from other conferences.

Put Utah in the SEC or Big Ten, and Utah doesn't win the conference, doesn't play in the CCG, and annually finishes between 6 and 8 wins (two of which would be OOC games against a FCS opponent, and a G5 opponent).  Because schools in those conferences have more talent (via recruiting).

So, you can't compare "records" over the course of a season, because they're not playing the same teams and in the same conference.  For those reasons, I think Texas is a team trending up (with better recruiting and with goals of playing for a NC) as well as having played a stronger slate of teams over the course of the season.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, HLB said:

Again - as I just posted:  OSU didn't beat "Florida", they beat Florida-lite.  Ask Utah and @utenation about the difference between the Florida team that OSU just played, compared to the Florida team that Utah played in week one.

Two completely different teams, in large part because of player's opting out, including their leading rusher and QB.

Have you published your book yet? 

I’m sure all the 4 people that buy it will be dazzled, mystified and feel confident that they could run an entire athletic department with your knowledge and expertise in college sports.

Fresno State was talented, disciplined, proud (in the best sense of the word) well-prepared and confident.  They closed out the season in an amazing fashion.  Jim Sweeney would have been proud.

WSU was none of those things.  Embarrassing effort.

That being said nothing I have ever seen in sports is as cheesy and cheap as this Jimmy Kimmel Bowl.  The guys ego and lack of self Awareness rivals that of Trump and Musk.  The ability to Self promote without caring about the dignity or value of the context is almost unthinkable.

On 12/17/2022 at 6:22 PM, win2bfree said:

2. I thought back-ups in the SEC would be first string if not all conference in any other conference.

Where is @HLB to break down Florida's recruiting rankings compared to Oregon State? It's a slaughter when fans look at this rather than the game.  So Florida still won, I think. 

On 12/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, HLB said:

Beavs missing their top RB and top two WRs.  had a QB go down midway in the season.   Injuries are a fact and UF’s talent pool is 3x as deep w/ 4-stars while OSU’s are largely 2- and 3-stars.     

sounds more like SEC-lite.  

On 12/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, HLB said:

Look at the teams that "repeatedly" make the Final Four in the playoffs.  What's the common denominator?  They all have high recruiting results.  Texas hasn't recruited this high since Mack Brown left.  When Mack Brown was at Texas, they had the talent and they played for the NC.

You have to have the horses to run the race, if the race is to win a NC.  UW doesn't have those horses, nor at those horses lining up to go to UW.  But Texas has started getting those horses since Sark has gone to Texas, and after he learned from Saban.

Look at Lincoln Riley .... He knows what it takes to win a NC.  He knows that having the right talent is key.  That's why he brought in 30-plus players from the transfer portal, including several from OU (including Williams).  He recognized that the talent wasn't there.  That's why I made my prediction of an undefeated season, conference championship, and double-digit wins.  He flipped the script at USC, in one season, by bringing in better talent.  And if Williams doesn't pull a hamstring in the CCG, they win the conference and go to the CFP.

What Riley didn't do was bring in enough to provide a strong defense.  Most of what he brought it was on the offensive side of the ball.

It all depends on your goals.  You take pride in having a team loaded with 3-star recruits that are "coached up".  Whittingham does a great job of getting the most out of his players.  And if your goal is to win the division and win your CCG and play in the Rose Bowl, then congratulations - those goals have been achieved.  But if your goal is to play for a NC, you're not going to get there with 3-start recruits.  No one in the PAC12 has won a CFP game, and no PAC12 team has won an outright NC since Pete Carroll bought his teams.  And what kind of players did Carroll bring in?  They weren't 3-star recruits.  They were 4 and 5-star recruits.

So, if you're wanting to play for a NC, you have to have the better recruits.  And the goal for Texas is to be in a position to play for a NC.  And they are moving in that direction by drawing in better recruits, which is why I say they are trending up.

As for their records .... The records mean nothing when the two teams haven't faced the same competition.  And in my opinion, Texas has faced better competition in 2022, compared to UW.

In short (and I could have said this in my prediction, but I knew it would set off a wave of crying from the likes of individuals such as yourself) Texas has faced a tougher schedule, has better players (thanks to recruiting and the transfer portal) and will consequently win the game.

And I "love" Michael Penix.  I love Cam Rising.  They among several some very good players in the PAC12.  But individual teams, in the PAC12, do not have as many of these players as do teams from other conferences.

Put Utah in the SEC or Big Ten, and Utah doesn't win the conference, doesn't play in the CCG, and annually finishes between 6 and 8 wins (two of which would be OOC games against a FCS opponent, and a G5 opponent).  Because schools in those conferences have more talent (via recruiting).

So, you can't compare "records" over the course of a season, because they're not playing the same teams and in the same conference.  For those reasons, I think Texas is a team trending up (with better recruiting and with goals of playing for a NC) as well as having played a stronger slate of teams over the course of the season.

Are you like a poor-man’s Malcolm Gladwell with this banal shit?  I try to imagine a human being saying the words you type and it literally hurts my brain. 

On 12/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, KUGRDON said:

Fresno State was talented, disciplined, proud (in the best sense of the word) well-prepared and confident.  They closed out the season in an amazing fashion.  Jim Sweeney would have been proud.

WSU was none of those things.  Embarrassing effort.

That being said nothing I have ever seen in sports is as cheesy and cheap as this Jimmy Kimmel Bowl.  The guys ego and lack of self Awareness rivals that of Trump and Musk.  The ability to Self promote without caring about the dignity or value of the context is almost unthinkable.

One guy is the richest man in the world, one guy was president, one guy is a Hollywood comedian.   Way to punch up against power, Don!

On 12/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, Orange said:

Beavs missing their top RB and top two WRs.  had a QB go down midway in the season.   Injuries are a fact and UF’s talent pool is 3x as deep w/ 4-stars while OSU’s are largely 2- and 3-stars.     

sounds more like SEC-lite.  

You have to remember. HLB doesn’t know anything or anyone on ANY P12 Rosters. He has no idea who is or isn’t playing this year. 

But he did watch Sports Center once and knows who Caleb Williams is.  And he knew USC would go undefeated and beat everyone by double digits. He told us it’s because the P12 finally hired a real coach. 

• Haha 1