2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 11/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, PAC MAN said:

Agree with Mano above...the hope is to go back to regional conferences.

I'm still trying to digest the CU football schedule but at the same time, the bright side is that the Big 12 cares more about football & basketball than the Pac-12 does.  I'm more interested in how the Big 12 will handle basketball scheduling if the Big 12 decides to stay at 18 conference games.

Where is your proof of the B12 caring more? Hate to break it to you buddy but all conferences have their warts. But you should know that, CU has been a wart for 2 decades. 

1 year of good attendance because of a clown coach( not the program) doesn’t erase decades of failure. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, PAC MAN said:

Agree with Mano above...the hope is to go back to regional conferences.

In the summer, weren't you jumping for joy that the P12 was being destroyed?

Belittling this conference over and over talking about how badass CU was because they were the first 4 corner school to jump ship? Mocking Utah and our fans that they would be left out in the cold and go back to the MWC? Going on and on about how wonderful the B12 is? Also telling us "you're out of here" from the board?

LOL at your school taking dirty ESPN bribes to go to the B12.

But now you're hoping things go back to regional conferences? LMAO. You continue to talk out of your ass. 

@Scscsc89 and @Trojan209,

What are your thoughts on Riley moving forward into the B10? The defensive criticisms are more heavy this year. But have Riely's teams ever had a defense going back to bloated B12 numbers? Last year I thought he was an elite coach and clearly the high powered offense covered up some defensive flaws but it just doesn't seem like USC is as hungry this year?

Or would you say the P12 is just better this year?

As you guys know, the B10 is a physical brand of football, more so than the P12. Will the defenses improve or is Riely's time limited?

Clearly he needs to get rid of Grinch, but I look at it still as year 2 of a rebuild.  Last year they out-performed expectations.  Remember when we used to give coaches four years to get their guys in & transform the program?

the transfer portal changes that some but not completely.  Next year they’ll obv take a step back having to replace Caleb Williams, but they’ll also have some young defensive players get better with a year under their belt.  Will be interesting how many juniors come back vs go to the NFL

big ten has michigan, Ohio State & Penn state but they also have Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue. Is that all that scary? 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 11/2/2023 at 3:12 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Clearly he needs to get rid of Grinch, but I look at it still as year 2 of a rebuild.  Last year they out-performed expectations.  Remember when we used to give coaches four years to get their guys in & transform the program?

the transfer portal changes that some but not completely.  Next year they’ll obv take a step back having to replace Caleb Williams, but they’ll also have some young defensive players get better with a year under their belt.  Will be interesting how many juniors come back vs go to the NFL

big ten has michigan, Ohio State & Penn state but they also have Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue. Is that all that scary? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Riley is one of the top paid coaches in the country.  Clearly you’re being patient in year two. I just wonder if the rest of Camp USC, specifically the decision makers/ boosters will be as patient?

I don’t think any team without a good defense will be the cream of the crop in the B10. USC can basically recruit whoever they want so the potential is always there. 

On 11/2/2023 at 3:51 PM, KUGRDON said:

The issue is: Can you go undefeated or 3-1 against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Oregon.  The others don’t matter.

I’d add Washington to this list. Also, the Rutgers, Wiskys, Northwesterns etc will bite you in the ass if you’re not paying attention. Just like the P12.

In the new world, you’re probably going to only play half or a third of those top teams — so can you get through those with only one loss and beat everyone else? That will probably get you a playoff spot even if you don’t make the CCG (and it may be better not to have to.)

As for Riley, yes everyone would like to win a NC every season.  I think the president and new AD probably have patience.   Who would a rich booster want to hire after firing Riley?   Insanity

we were 4-8 two seasons ago, everyone needs to relax.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 4:09 PM, Scscsc89 said:

we were 4-8 two seasons ago, everyone needs to relax.

I think everyone here is relaxed.  The USC/Riley story continues to grow nationally. 

We don’t live in a patient society.  I hope  your fans also give him time to adjust to the B10. 

Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all in the top 5 in defense this year. 

On 11/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, utenation said:

@Scscsc89 and @Trojan209,

What are your thoughts on Riley moving forward into the B10? The defensive criticisms are more heavy this year. But have Riely's teams ever had a defense going back to bloated B12 numbers? Last year I thought he was an elite coach and clearly the high powered offense covered up some defensive flaws but it just doesn't seem like USC is as hungry this year?

Or would you say the P12 is just better this year?

As you guys know, the B10 is a physical brand of football, more so than the P12. Will the defenses improve or is Riely's time limited?

Last year we way over performed on expectations which I think set ourselves up to think way too highly of the team this year. Having a player like Caleb makes people have wilder expectations too, but I do think something is off about his game this year. Not sure if it's an injury, the Oline, or something else. 

I'm still on the side of the fence where the B10 isn't used to seeing teams with good/great QBs and WRs unless it's tOSU, and we've seen how things go for the rest of the conference 99% of the time when they play them. Part of that is having a great defense too, which I think USC can have again it's just gonna take time. Helton left the cupboard bare, and I think we are paying the price for that terribly small 2020 recruiting class. A lot of people thought Riley would come in and flip a bunch of California kids right away, but those kids going to Oregon and other places built up a lot of connections there, so getting those kids again is still gonna take some time too. I don't think Riley will be given much of a leash though and may be forced to fire Grinch. 

On 11/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, KUGRDON said:

The issue is: Can you go undefeated or 3-1 against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Oregon.  The others don’t matter.

The problem is with 18 teams you're rarely gonna see all of these teams in the same season if ever. Next year we go to Michigan and get Penn State at home. In 2025 we go to Oregon and get Michigan at home. In 2026 we go to Penn State and get Oregon and tOSU at home. In 2027 we go to tOSU. 2028 is probably the toughest season with Michigan & Oregon on the road and home against Penn State. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 4:27 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Clay Helton got 5+ years — Chip Kelly is in his sixth. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When they brought in Riley, they paid elite coach money for elite results. Helton was an unknown.  USC could win out this year. But I don’t think they will. 

Really just trying to get a temp of your fanbase.  Personally I lean on the side of patience. 

On 11/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, utenation said:

When they brought in Riley, they paid elite coach money for elite results. Helton was an unknown.  USC could win out this year. But I don’t think they will. 

Really just trying to get a temp of your fanbase.  Personally I lean on the side of patience. 

The message boards and Twitter right now are pretty toxic. I've had to unplug from a lot of it. People forget just how bad things were 2 years ago and think everything is doom and gloom right now. Patience is a virtue and right now a lot in the fanbase don't have it. 🤣

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:09 PM, Trojan209 said:

Last year we way over performed on expectations which I think set ourselves up to think way too highly of the team this year. Having a player like Caleb makes people have wilder expectations too, but I do think something is off about his game this year. Not sure if it's an injury, the Oline, or something else. 

I'm still on the side of the fence where the B10 isn't used to seeing teams with good/great QBs and WRs unless it's tOSU, and we've seen how things go for the rest of the conference 99% of the time when they play them. Part of that is having a great defense too, which I think USC can have again it's just gonna take time. Helton left the cupboard bare, and I think we are paying the price for that terribly small 2020 recruiting class. A lot of people thought Riley would come in and flip a bunch of California kids right away, but those kids going to Oregon and other places built up a lot of connections there, so getting those kids again is still gonna take some time too. I don't think Riley will be given much of a leash though and may be forced to fire Grinch. 

On Caleb, one thing I’ve noticed is he sits alone on the sideline bench quite often. Not sure if that’s a big nothing burger on something off with team chemistry. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:20 PM, Trojan209 said:

The message boards and Twitter right now are pretty toxic. I've had to unplug from a lot of it. People forget just how bad things were 2 years ago and think everything is doom and gloom right now. Patience is a virtue and right now a lot in the fanbase don't have it. 🤣

100% this.  Fans are the worst and demand immediate returns.  You get rid of Riley and get who to replace him?  It’s absolute madness.  They are a lot better, but not perfect.  In a sane world that is enough.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, utenation said:

On Caleb, one thing I’ve noticed is he sits alone on the sideline bench quite often. Not sure if that’s a big nothing burger on something off with team chemistry. 

Coaches actually addressed it a little earlier in the season. Last year there was a big piece about teammates spending a bunch of time together including getting the freshman and transfers integrated in stuff and coaches mentioned some of that didn't happen this year or there was less of it. I do recall Caleb sitting by himself a bit last year too so idk.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Buff_Fan said:

100% this.  Fans are the worst and demand immediate returns.  You get rid of Riley and get who to replace him?  It’s absolute madness.  They are a lot better, but not perfect.  In a sane world that is enough.

I saw some of the Buff fanbase turning in Deion already the last few weeks. But idk how many of that are long time fans or just the ones that followed Deion. 

On 11/2/2023 at 4:56 PM, utenation said:

I’d add Washington to this list. Also, the Rutgers, Wiskys, Northwesterns etc will bite you in the ass if you’re not paying attention. Just like the P12.

You obviously know nothing about the B1G.

The PAC12 teams will fair as well as Nebraska has, after they moved to the B1G - which hasn't been very good.

I see 10-plus years of misery and frustration for the B1G newcomers.  None of the PAC12 transplants will ever win a division or the conference.  It just points to how blind PAC12 fans are, with understanding the talent disparity of other conferences.