2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 11/4/2023 at 11:45 PM, dtd said:

It's easy to go from 12th place to 10th.  CU won 3 conference games in in 19, 20, and 21. How many are y'all gonna win this year? 

They were the worst P5 team, by a lot.  Last year this is a 30 point game.  Who knows where they end, but it’s still significant improvement in less than a year.  You can see it in the play.  

Layer in that this is the best the pac has been in my lifetime.  It’s really, really good.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, Buff_Fan said:

Layer in that this is the best the pac has been in my lifetime.  It’s really, really good.

I won’t argue this too much but we did end with 6 ranked teams last year. But Oregon and Washington are elite this year and should expect the CFP. 

On 11/4/2023 at 11:56 PM, utenation said:

I won’t argue this too much but we did end with 6 ranked teams last year. But Oregon and Washington are elite this year and should expect the CFP. 

100% agree.  Of there’s a year to get two this is it.  The second level of teams is also really good.  Bizarre it’s in the last year of the conference.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:50 AM, Buff_Fan said:

They were the worst P5 team, by a lot.  Last year this is a 30 point game.  Who knows where they end, but it’s still significant improvement in less than a year.  You can see it in the play.  

You're making things up and hoping they are true. CU is a poorly coached team, low on talent. 

On 11/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, dtd said:

You're making things up and hoping they are true. CU is a poorly coached team, low on talent. 

Not at all.  They were, by the numbers, the worst p5 team.  They are better now.  The talent is better, but absolutely has a ways to go.  And coaching has been hit and miss.  Of course talent makes coaches look good and vice versa.  

CU is still a year away from being good (not great).  But ignoring how awful they were last year is unfair. 

And of course things can change, just a fans opinion that has watched this team for a long time.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:47 AM, Buff_Fan said:

Not at all.  They were, by the numbers, the worst p5 team.  They are better now.  The talent is better, but absolutely has a ways to go.  And coaching has been hit and miss.  Of course talent makes coaches look good and vice versa.  

CU is still a year away from being good (not great).  But ignoring how awful they were last year is unfair. 

And of course things can change, just a fans opinion that has watched this team for a long time.

lol. Like I said, going from 12th to 9th is easy. 2 of your 3 best players are sons of the coach. That's not sustainable and shouldn't require explication. CU is going to have the worst or 2nd worst conference season they've had in almost half a decade. Enjoy your 1 conference win while staring into the sun. The future is bright!

On 11/5/2023 at 12:52 AM, dtd said:

lol. Like I said, going from 12th to 9th is easy. 2 of your 3 best players are sons of the coaches. That's not sustainable and shouldn't require explication. CU is going to have the worst or 2nd worst conference season they've had in almost half a decade. 

Again, context does matter.  Coming out of last year matters.  The cupboards were beyond bare.  I don’t recall the margin but the average loss was astounding.  They weren’t just 12th, but the worst p5.

I didn’t expect a top 6 finish with new systems and a new roster.  From my view they are much better.  The talent outside of the coaches kids (not much eligibility there) is better.  But there is still a lot to do, I expect another incremental improvement next year, after finishing year one.

time will tell on prime.  I like any fan have plenty of criticisms.  He has to be better, and at the same time seems like the right coach to me.  

On 11/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, utenation said:

You might be the dumbest person I’ve ever seen on a message board.  You’ve picked CU to win in 4 of their 5 losses. You got one loss right. To USC. 

But I guess that’s the thing stupid people do when they picked CU to go undefeated this year at the start of the season.

The only free fall is in Boulder and your lack of credibility. 

You still haven't shown me where I picked CU to go undefeated this year.  Because you can't.  Because I never said they would go undefeated.

If you look back at my PAC12 predictions in January, I said Colorado would finish 3-9.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:56 AM, utenation said:

Oregon and Washington are elite this year and should expect the CFP. 

They won't both be in the CFP.  And whether or not one makes the CFP remains to be seen.

That being said, I hope that they do.  That way you can see the disparity between the teams you think are elite, compared to teams that are indeed, elite.  Whether it's UGA, BAMA, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, FSU, etc. .... Either team would easily be disposed of.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, utenation said:

You might be the dumbest person I’ve ever seen on a message board.  You’ve picked CU to win in 4 of their 5 losses. You got one loss right. To USC. 

But I guess that’s the thing stupid people do when they picked CU to go undefeated this year at the start of the season.

The only free fall is in Boulder and your lack of credibility. 

It amazes me at how important it is to you, for me to be right or wrong, when I couldn't care either way.  I'm just having fun with making picks.  Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter to me.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, HLB said:

This week ....

Utah holds of a strong-willed ASU team, 38-28

Oregon destructs Cal, 47-13

Washington runs over USC, 45-30

Stanford upsets Wazzu, 29-27

Colorado takes down freefalling Oregon State, 41-26

And while UCLA keeps proving me wrong and winning games that I didn't expect them to win, Arizona is playing too well and has found a QB.  If a tough fight, AZ over UCLA 30-27.

@utenationand @Orange .... This week, 5-1 (83%).  My only miss was Colorado not showing up like they are capable of doing.

@utenation wants to call me "stupid" because I missed Colorado.  But he fails to point out that I accurately predicted the Stanford upset of Wazzu and the Arizona upset win over UCLA.  @utenation continues to claim that I predicted Colorado to go undefeated, when no such prediction from me was ever made.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, HLB said:

You still haven't shown me where I picked CU to go undefeated this year.  Because you can't.  Because I never said they would go undefeated.

If you look back at my PAC12 predictions in January, I said Colorado would finish 3-9.

Like I said, you’re dumber than a box of rocks. Last time I called you out, @glduck posted your exact words on you saying CU will go undefeated. 

Try using your good eye numbnuts. 

On 11/5/2023 at 1:01 AM, Buff_Fan said:

Again, context does matter.  Coming out of last year matters.  The cupboards were beyond bare.  I don’t recall the margin but the average loss was astounding.  They weren’t just 12th, but the worst p5.

I didn’t expect a top 6 finish with new systems and a new roster.  From my view they are much better.  The talent outside of the coaches kids (not much eligibility there) is better.  But there is still a lot to do, I expect another incremental improvement next year, after finishing year one.

time will tell on prime.  I like any fan have plenty of criticisms.  He has to be better, and at the same time seems like the right coach to me.  

Sanders was bragging about all the elite transfers he brought in before the season.  And CU has some nice players for sure but I guess he forgot to look in the portal for a good OL?

Even a high school coach knows you need a good OL to accomplish anything. 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, HLB said:

They won't both be in the CFP.  And whether or not one makes the CFP remains to be seen.

That being said, I hope that they do.  That way you can see the disparity between the teams you think are elite, compared to teams that are indeed, elite.  Whether it's UGA, BAMA, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, FSU, etc. .... Either team would easily be disposed of.

This is the same stuff said before tcu played Michigan.  But I love how people look past the warts of some of the “elites”.

CU has shown they can bring in guys through the portal to improve their players rapidly. I have not seen any evidence of players being "coached up" or flaws exposed in earlier weeks being fixed. Seems they have a good recruiting staff, but evidence of a good coaching staff yet to emerge. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 8:02 AM, HLB said:

Wisconsin sucks; Nebraska is not very good and faced a CU team that might go undefeated and win the PAC12; UCLA beat up on a G5 opponent (as a P5 team should - not sure why that's impressive), and OSU crushed a FCS team (why is that impressive?)

If any of those wins were "impressive" then Auburn's win over Cal was impressive; OK State's win over ASU was impressive; and MS State's win over AZ was impressive .... Here's reality:  None of those three wins were impressive.

Overall, Utah was lucky to escape defeat against a bad Baylor team, and Oregon was fortunate to pull out a win at TXTech.

Those two games make me believe that Colorado could defeat both Utah and Oregon, and ultimately win the PAC12, because Baylor and TXTech are not strong teams.

Just quoting and bolding

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:16 AM, Buff_Fan said:

This is the same stuff said before tcu played Michigan.  But I love how people look past the warts of some of the “elites”.

He just talks out of his ass. If you look at UGA, Ohio State, Texas and FSU, they’ve all had close calls to average to bad competition this year. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, utenation said:

He just talks out of his ass. If you look at UGA, Ohio State, Texas and FSU, they’ve all had close calls to average to bad competition this year. 

100%.  If anything this year, there are no great teams…..they all have issues.  The pac is easily the deepest conference and has a legit chance to win it all.  

On 11/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, utenation said:

Sanders was bragging about all the elite transfers he brought in before the season.  And CU has some nice players for sure but I guess he forgot to look in the portal for a good OL?

Even a high school coach knows you need a good OL to accomplish anything. 

It’s one of the hardest positions to bring in.  Before the season started I said the interior DL and OL were the biggest concerns.  Hoping the portal is good for the buffs this year.