P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

On 12/31/2023 at 6:18 PM, Chile_Ute said:

If you told me Utah would be 11-2 at this point I’d have eaten my hat

We just need to win more than a few on the road. I think this year, we finally established that SLC is a hard place to get a win for the road team. 

This has been missing for the last 6 years or so.  Wasn’t too hard to beat Utah in the Huntsman. 

Last year, we got to 17 wins, then lost our last 6 mostly due to injury.  We have to stay remotely healthy. 

CU looking very solid as well. 

On 1/1/2024 at 1:16 PM, utenation said:

We just need to win more than a few on the road. I think this year, we finally established that SLC is a hard place to get a win for the road team. 

This has been missing for the last 6 years or so.  Wasn’t too hard to beat Utah in the Huntsman. 

Last year, we got to 17 wins, then lost our last 6 mostly due to injury.  We have to stay remotely healthy. 

CU looking very solid as well. 

We are more balanced as a team than I can remember.  May have a positive trajectory working here.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:18 PM, utenation said:

Some good games on tonight. UW/OR tight. 

CU/AZ blowout so far. CU down a few horses. I fear Utah will also face a pissed off Wildcat team on Saturday. 

Hope we go 1-1 on this trip. 

Less likely….

On 1/5/2024 at 3:49 PM, Chile_Ute said:

Less likely….

Utah embarrassed themselves last night.  We should be able to beat a team like a very average ASU team on the road. 

BYU and Northwestern both crushed this ASU team on a neutral court and in Phoenix by 20+ points. 

If you’ve taken the next step as a program these are the games you need to win. ASU shot way above their averages on 3 pointers and were on fire.  We did little to adjust from a zone that wasn’t working.  Piss poor defensive effort. We played at their pace, not ours. 

Really good chance we go home 0-2 on this trip. AZ was a monster last night even with CU missing some horses.  

If you can only win home games, you aren’t going anywhere in post season. 

This was our worst outing to date. We played much better against Houston and St. John’s. 

On 1/5/2024 at 5:07 PM, utenation said:

Utah embarrassed themselves last night.  We should be able to beat a team like a very average ASU team on the road. 

BYU and Northwestern both crushed this ASU team on a neutral court and in Phoenix by 20+ points. 

If you’ve taken the next step as a program these are the games you need to win. ASU shot way above their averages on 3 pointers and were on fire.  We did little to adjust from a zone that wasn’t working.  Piss poor defensive effort. We played at their pace, not ours. 

Really good chance we go home 0-2 on this trip. AZ was a monster last night even with CU missing some horses.  

If you can only win home games, you aren’t going anywhere in post season. 

This was our worst outing to date. We played much better against Houston and St. John’s. 

Agree.  Lot of season left but that finish lacked any fire or inspiration 

On 1/5/2024 at 7:22 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Is this a fair article about UCLA?  (Quote: "No team in America smiles less than UCLA while on the floor.")

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2024/1/4/24025749/ucla-college-basketball-mick-cronin-head-coach-record-pac-12-standings-recruiting

UCLA might be the worse team in the P12 right now. It's rough and Cronin needs to own it and he's blaming everyone but himself.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, Chile_Ute said:

Pussies.  Our help d is weak.  Our bigs are weak when guarding physical big men.  Outclassed.  Good home win Cats.

It’s early but what a shitty performance overall this last weekend. I expected to lose to AZ.  I think ASU is a little lucky right now. But their perfect conference record so far is unmistakable. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, MrBug708 said:

UCLA might be the worse team in the P12 right now. It's rough and Cronin needs to own it and he's blaming everyone but himself.

UCLA made the final 4 in 2021. The S16 in 2022 and 2023.  Doesn’t Cronin get a pass this year? It’s hard to be elite every year. 

On 1/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, utenation said:

UCLA made the final 4 in 2021. The S16 in 2022 and 2023.  Doesn’t Cronin get a pass this year? It’s hard to be elite every year. 

No reason why he should be this bad though and these players are his guys. He's blaming the players. The guy he is relying on is Lazaz and he was a role player last year on a middling P12 team last year (no offense). That's a problem. The guys he brought in from Europe aren't playing. Why bring in a bunch of them if you sit them and them blame them.

On 1/8/2024 at 1:33 PM, utenation said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all of Cronin's top players who got him there inherited?

On 1/8/2024 at 11:46 AM, MrBug708 said:

No reason why he should be this bad though and these players are his guys. He's blaming the players. The guy he is relying on is Lazaz and he was a role player last year on a middling P12 team last year (no offense). That's a problem. The guys he brought in from Europe aren't playing. Why bring in a bunch of them if you sit them and them blame them.

True. I still think Cronin is a good coach. But the proof will be in the pudding with his own players. As to the blaming and lineups, no clue on that one but doesn't look good.  But half a season might be too early to bring out the shotguns. 

No offense on what you said about Lazar. Utah was average at best last year.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:27 AM, utenation said:

Alford didn't do shit with the players in reference. 

They were young mostly. But I have no doubt he was going nowhere with them, though I suspect Jaquez would have been good but probably not a NBA player.

The final four run was because of Juzang, a Mick recruit.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:29 PM, MrBug708 said:

They were young mostly. But I have no doubt he was going nowhere with them, though I suspect Jaquez would have been good but probably not a NBA player.

The final four run was because of Juzang, a Mick recruit.

You guys are in SLC on Thursday. I'd imagine Utah will be favored by about 7.  After last week, I don't think I'll be betting on Utah on any sure wins going forward. Keita went out with a leg injury in the first half against AZ, which did make a difference. I think this guy is the most improved player in the P12 this year and definitely an impact player.

Hope he plays and we get a good game.

Utah thumped UCLA by an unspeakable amount tonight. I’ll take any win over the Bruins especially since we haven’t beaten them since 2019. 

That said, this is the worst UCLA team I’ve seen in a long time. Cronin has the look of giving up on his face. And yeah Bug, I agree. Running the offense through a brick shooting Lazar is a head scratcher. 

Utah needs to show me something on the road. I’m not buying this stock until I see it.