P12 Hoops 23/24

utenation

Good win for Utah over Oregon. The Ducks have abused Utah in unspeakable ways since we joined.  They had won 11 in a row until today. 

Dante is a god damned handful and just starting to get back in shape after surgery in Nov.  Excellent footwork. 

Oregon is going to be a tough out on any court. 

Utah has a great opportunity to redeem themselves on the road this week with winnable games. Not a lot of confidence on my end. Prove me wrong fellas. 

Well, here we are Utah. Game week on the road.  Utah likely still down 2 starters in Worster and Lovering.  Lovering is the biggest loss as he is our best paint protector. Keita is a great defender with amazing hops but he struggles against much taller players like Dante. He's always in foul trouble and has some silly unneeded ones each games it seems.  Keita is only 6'8". Worster leads the conference in assist/turnover ratio. Good leader and a big guard. But Deivon Smith has been a nice surprise. He's been averaging near a triple double as the starter.  Only 6 foot, he has amazing hops and speed. 46' vertical and loves to rebound and dunk. A nice change of pace and offensive tempo.

I'm hoping for 1-1 on this trip but wouldn't be shocked at 0-2.  Vegas has finally figured out that we are road cupcakes. We are simply a better team than WSU but they are favored by 1.5.  

On 1/24/2024 at 12:25 PM, utenation said:

Well, here we are Utah. Game week on the road.  Utah likely still down 2 starters in Worster and Lovering.  Lovering is the biggest loss as he is our best paint protector. Keita is a great defender with amazing hops but he struggles against much taller players like Dante. He's always in foul trouble and has some silly unneeded ones each games it seems.  Keita is only 6'8". Worster leads the conference in assist/turnover ratio. Good leader and a big guard. But Deivon Smith has been a nice surprise. He's been averaging near a triple double as the starter.  Only 6 foot, he has amazing hops and speed. 46' vertical and loves to rebound and dunk. A nice change of pace and offensive tempo.

I'm hoping for 1-1 on this trip but wouldn't be shocked at 0-2.  Vegas has finally figured out that we are road cupcakes. We are simply a better team than WSU but they are favored by 1.5.  

Softest bigs in the land.  Fucksakes

On 1/24/2024 at 9:56 PM, Chile_Ute said:

Yup, utter shit.

This year is shaping up to be like last year. Injuries followed by excuses and losses. It’s amazing players sit out a month for twisted ankles. 

I’m done watching this marshmallow soft team for awhile. I started believing in Craig Smith this year but I’m pulling back a bit.  I can’t stand lack of effort and softness.  We got killed on the boards, offensive rebounds and second chance points.  That’s all effort. 

Smith shouldn't be surprised that The Huntsman Center is almost a ghost town. Ute basketball fans aren't stupid and know good basketball when they see it. There's just too many other entertainment options going on in SLC to waste money on basketball tickets for an average at best product. 

Whittingham has a packed house each and every week. He earned it. 

On 1/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, utenation said:

This year is shaping up to be like last year. Injuries followed by excuses and losses. It’s amazing players sit out a month for twisted ankles. 

I’m done watching this marshmallow soft team for awhile. I started believing in Craig Smith this year but I’m pulling back a bit.  I can’t stand lack of effort and softness.  We got killed on the boards, offensive rebounds and second chance points.  That’s all effort. 

Smith shouldn't be surprised that The Huntsman Center is almost a ghost town. Ute basketball fans aren't stupid and know good basketball when they see it. There's just too many other entertainment options going on in SLC to waste money on basketball tickets for an average at best product. 

Whittingham has a packed house each and every week. He earned it. 

Depending on degree of sprain 4-8 weeks isn’t unheard of.  Nothing you can do.

My biggest frustration is Carlson….if he could even go 1/2 Doleac I would be happy.

Worster, Lovering out, then Smith goes down….I just need to not have expectations that after 5 years, Carlson is a tall 3 or 4, never going to body up.  Forces to be a live and die by the outside if we can’t keep another “big” in there.  Keita’s a beast but gonna get called more than not when he’s physical.

Further, I shouldn’t post mad after a few pints.  Overall their play is better than last season, but still slow (sans Smith), and soft.   Giac, Boylen buried us. Krystkowiak put out some of the fire but flatlined (lost some good young players during his time).  I don’t know what the recipe is timewise for a coach to turn it around.