2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Bug has heard the rumors by now as they have been rampent for awhile but 5-star Center and top 3 player in the 2019 class, Charles Bassey is rumored to be seriously considering reclassifying to 2018.  Futhermore, Bassey and his family are extremely close to Cal commit Jacobi Gordon and his family as well as Cal Assistant Coach Chris Walker, the guy who landed Gordon.   I'm hearing that there is a strong likelyhood that Bassey will commit to Cal and join his AAU teammate Gordon.  I'm also hearing that Bassey and Jordan Brown have been talking.  Finally, some positive developments for Cal basketball.  Now let's sit back and watch it all go to shit. 

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Haven't seen much on the 2019 class. I'd imagine firing Alford might have repercussions on this class anyways, so anyone who commits to the Bruins isn't a lock either way.

I don't believe in package deals.

The only time Cal gets a good class is through package deals.  Rabb/Brown, Powe/Ubaka.  

I don't really believe Rabb and Brown were packaged deals, not in the true sense. They just decided to play together. Rabb's mother was never letting him out of the Bay area. Rabb and Brown connected late in recruitment so I don't buy it. Powe was so long ago I don't count it :)

But package deals with coaches tens to be a thing

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

I don't really believe Rabb and Brown were packaged deals, not in the true sense. They just decided to play together. Rabb's mother was never letting him out of the Bay area. Rabb and Brown connected late in recruitment so I don't buy it. Powe was so long ago I don't count it :)

But package deals with coaches tens to be a thing

Rabb and brown connected their junior years and almost got Swannigan to come to.  Brown said he wouldn’t have come to Cal without meeting Rabb.  

Perhaps im misusing your definition of package deals but those guys talked about playing together and did so.  

Also, Rabb would have left Cal if Mike Montgomery was the coach.  He did not want to play for Monty at all. 

It's probably semantics on my end but Rabb wasn't going to follow Jordon Brown anywhere, though Brown did want to play with Rabb in the end.

I asked a friend about Bassey, this is what he said.

---------------------

You probably already know but in case you don't. Bassey is a pretty controversial kid right now he transferred from Texas to some Aspire Academy in Kentucky, brought 3 Nigerian teammates with him, and sparked all kinds of rumors he was being paid to transfer closer to UK who is of course one of the schools heavily recruiting him. The school is in Louisville which given the timing and what Louisville has since been revealed to have done makes you wonder if maybe Bassey was brought there by someone representing Louisville not UK.

I haven't really followed the story but he was ruled ineligible in HS last year over transfer and transcript issues and there was speculation he might not be eligible at Aspire either.

So he certainly doesn't sound like the normal Cal student. Too bad the kid is really athletic the footage I've seen he reminds you of a young Amare Stoudemire.

3 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

It's probably semantics on my end but Rabb wasn't going to follow Jordon Brown anywhere, though Brown did want to play with Rabb in the end.

---------------------

You probably already know but in case you don't. Bassey is a pretty controversial kid right now he transferred from Texas to some Aspire Academy in Kentucky, brought 3 Nigerian teammates with him, and sparked all kinds of rumors he was being paid to transfer closer to UK who is of course one of the schools heavily recruiting him. The school is in Louisville which given the timing and what Louisville has since been revealed to have done makes you wonder if maybe Bassey was brought there by someone representing Louisville not UK.

I haven't really followed the story but he was ruled ineligible in HS last year over transfer and transcript issues and there was speculation he might not be eligible at Aspire either.

So he certainly doesn't sound like the normal Cal student. Too bad the kid is really athletic the footage I've seen he reminds you of a young Amare Stoudemire.

Yeah, apparently someone messed up his paperwork when he transferred schools but the Cal staff is confident they can get him through admissions even with the relatively new tougher standards.  I'm not going to hold my breath but I'm hearing Cal has a good shot.  I guess we will see how it plays out. 

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

---------------------

Just saw the post you quoted.  You can send this information his way if you like.

Per MySanAntonio.com, Bryan Bunselmeyer, executive director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, made it clear that Bassey's ineligibility at St. Anthony had nothing to do with age or academics. The concern was that Bassey was being recruited to St. Anthony, which would give them an unfair advantage over other opponents.

According to the Pangos All-American Camp, Bassey is a terrific student with a 3.9 GPA, so there really doesn't seem to be much reason for concern about his academic qualifications. Whether or not he can reclassify remains to be seen as he has moved around a lot, but that notwithstanding, his suspension from St. Anthony wasn't for academic reasons.

I suppose he doesn't sound like a normal Cal student because he's a 5-star Center but academically, he sounds very much like a Cal student. 

Also, both Bassey and Gordon will be visiting Cal on Friday.  I hope it goes well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Apparently Cal is going to receive some good news as O'Neal will likely commit to UCLA. The good news is a lack of scholarship for Jordon Brown

Cal received some good news about 4 days regarding Jordan Brown but this certainly puts the nail in the coffin.  

2 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Nah, none of these guys are going there because of ******

But with the team UCLA is bringing in next year, they will likely win -- especially with no Arizona to compete with -- and ****** will get the credit.  So by proxy, Mano is right. 

Archived