NBA 16-17 Thread

All Hail

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as i've said i don't care much for james harden, but this lays out a pretty good case:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-case-for-james-harden-mvp/

he's basically a more efficient westbrook offensively. neither of them will be confused for kawahi leonard defensively, but harden actually tries a bit harder on defense this year.

houston's got a better team, so i guess it'll come down to whether or not one thinks westbrook should be rewarded for doing more on a far worse team.is the triple double cool? sure. enough to penalize harden because harden doesn't need to do that? eh.

and speaking of games in vacuums, last night was a great example of why westbrook probably shouldn't be the top contender. 51 points and a triple double sounds like a monster night, but he was *breathtakingly* awful in the 4th quarter and completely took his team out of the game.

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

Just call me Hailstradamus.

Seriously, good call.

Those back-to-back alley-oop dunks by McGee in the 1st quarter were bananas.  That was when I knew they were woefully outmatched last night.  Watched Rogue One instead.  #CasualFan

re: game 2. what follows is some personal nit picking from a blazer perspective. i think we all understand that nothing i mention here would change the outcome of the game or series should it be corrected.

we battled well in game one, at least until the 4th quarter. gsw's 4th quarter unit clamped down and they made a run. we closed to 6 with about 5 minutes to play, then the deficit ballooned out again. it was championship basketball versus 8th seed basketball, which i can live with considering that's the reality of the situation. overall, i thought we fought well.

the opposite of that happened yesterday. we came out strong initially and then the warriors used an 18-2 run to take a 1 point lead after 1. we fought back and only trailed by 1 with 3:30 to go in the half, then they closed strong and took a 9 point lead into halftime. the 3rd quarter went so poorly for us both teams had emptied the bench by the 10 minute mark of the 4th. again, championship basketball vs. 8th seed basketball.

and quite honestly, the team we took to golden state was not the 8th seed in the west. this is the team that was closer to a top 6 pick in the draft than the playoffs in february. the reason we got the 8th seed at all is nursing a foot injury. 

and hooooooolly shit did we miss him yesterday. zaza was 5/8 from the floor, javale mcgee was 7/7. javale mcgee does exactly one thing well, and that's dunking when someone gives him a breakaway or a perfect pass right at the hoop. our putrid interior defense, which plagued us all year until nurkic showed up, was in fine form yesterday.

speaking of guys who do one thing right, allan crabbe -- what's up? someone mentioned he's been dealing with a leg injury, and maybe he is. but he's cashing some pretty monster checks in order to go 0-fer from the three point line, which is normally his one contribution to this team. and again, would hitting 3 or 4 treys make a difference in this game? of course not, but you still want your guys to perform like they're paid to do.

lillard had it going early then didn't, mccollum never really had much to offer. 

On 4/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, PapaG said:

Nurkic out tonight for Portland.  Durant possibly out for GS.

I don't understand why the Nurkic news is even a question. A fast recovery for his injury is weeks. "they" said he'd be "re-evaluated" after 2 weeks and people just ran with it that he could be BACK in 2 weeks. He's done. 

On 4/16/2017 at 5:04 PM, All Hail said:

McCollum scores 41, Dame scores 34, turner has his 1st double double, curry/klay make 4 total 3's, warriors bench (especially Iggy) was uncharacteristicly bad and the warriors still win comfortably.  It might take a perfect storm for the blazers to win a game this series. 

Pretty much. GSW are on another level. Vegas knows. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:06 AM, glduck said:

re: game 2. what follows is some personal nit picking from a blazer perspective. i think we all understand that nothing i mention here would change the outcome of the game or series should it be corrected.

we battled well in game one, at least until the 4th quarter. gsw's 4th quarter unit clamped down and they made a run. we closed to 6 with about 5 minutes to play, then the deficit ballooned out again. it was championship basketball versus 8th seed basketball, which i can live with considering that's the reality of the situation. overall, i thought we fought well.

the opposite of that happened yesterday. we came out strong initially and then the warriors used an 18-2 run to take a 1 point lead after 1. we fought back and only trailed by 1 with 3:30 to go in the half, then they closed strong and took a 9 point lead into halftime. the 3rd quarter went so poorly for us both teams had emptied the bench by the 10 minute mark of the 4th. again, championship basketball vs. 8th seed basketball.

and quite honestly, the team we took to golden state was not the 8th seed in the west. this is the team that was closer to a top 6 pick in the draft than the playoffs in february. the reason we got the 8th seed at all is nursing a foot injury. 

and hooooooolly shit did we miss him yesterday. zaza was 5/8 from the floor, javale mcgee was 7/7. javale mcgee does exactly one thing well, and that's dunking when someone gives him a breakaway or a perfect pass right at the hoop. our putrid interior defense, which plagued us all year until nurkic showed up, was in fine form yesterday.

speaking of guys who do one thing right, allan crabbe -- what's up? someone mentioned he's been dealing with a leg injury, and maybe he is. but he's cashing some pretty monster checks in order to go 0-fer from the three point line, which is normally his one contribution to this team. and again, would hitting 3 or 4 treys make a difference in this game? of course not, but you still want your guys to perform like they're paid to do.

lillard had it going early then didn't, mccollum never really had much to offer. 

I don't understand why Portland went into the playoffs with their 4th string center without making a move. They couldn't waive uh Layman and bring in some dude from the d-league? Why not just tank instead of pushing for the playoffs but not really making an effort to win? When Meyers Leonard steps on the court in the 1st quarter against the Golden State Warriors, the game is over. 

21 hours ago, dtd said:

I don't understand why Portland went into the playoffs with their 4th string center without making a move. They couldn't waive uh Layman and bring in some dude from the d-league? Why not just tank instead of pushing for the playoffs but not really making an effort to win? When Meyers Leonard steps on the court in the 1st quarter against the Golden State Warriors, the game is over. 

I take it you're not a fan of Leonard's 10 mil a year contract.

On April 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM, dtd said:

I don't understand why the Nurkic news is even a question. A fast recovery for his injury is weeks. "they" said he'd be "re-evaluated" after 2 weeks and people just ran with it that he could be BACK in 2 weeks. He's done. 

Nurkic started tonight.

10 hours ago, glduck said:

probably shouldn't have. a step slow, could only manage 16 minutes. definitely meant to give a mental boost. and maybe it worked! they played well tonight. 

11 rebounds, 4 assists, and a block in 16 minutes and +8 while he was on the floor, which lead the team.

Im not sure what more he could have done to help.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

i certainly concede a hobbled nurk is infinitely more skilled than our barren wasteland of other big men (vonleh has his moments) i just meant it was damn risky to throw him out there when he was feeling pain the whole time. 

Got it and I agree but he wouldn't be out there without being fully cleared.  Sounds like he had a hairline fracture and no weight-bearing issues with it.  As a fan it's tough because of the history injury with Blazer centers, but physicians view each case separately and don't believe in curses to color their medical opinion, unlike me who would have Nurk in bubble wrap until next fall.   As a fan Km not sure I can accept another talented big who has a post game having his career ended early due to leg injuries.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Nurkic next year for 65-70 games as well as what is received for trading Meyers Leonard and one of Aminu/Harkless/Crabbe.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:45 AM, All Hail said:

I take it you're not a fan of Leonard's 10 mil a year contract.

It's not about the money, really. It's about him being the worst basketball player I've ever seen. 

Archived