Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

15 minutes ago, Orange said:

Oklahoma is not a national power in hoops?  They were in the final 4 three years ago, and the Elite 8 the year before that.  They've finished ranked 10 of the past 20 years.  

C'mon.  The Sooners and their great blue chip tradition are going to turn heads in Indianapolis or NYC?  You can do better than that.  Most publications have them ranked 8th for this coming year out of ten in the Big XII.  Beating them will turn heads with the media, the Committee, and the national TV audience?  Sure, it will be nice if the Beavers top them, good for the Pac-12, and we all hope it happens.  But this isn't a prime red-circle game for the conference that will echo from Carolina to Lexington.  The team the Pac-12 beats has to really move the needle.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Downthefield said:

C'mon.  The Sooners and their great blue chip tradition are going to turn heads in Indianapolis or NYC?  You can do better than that.  Most publications have them ranked 8th for this coming year out of ten in the Big XII.  Beating them will turn heads with the media, the Committee, and the national TV audience?  Sure, it will be nice if the Beavers top them, good for the Pac-12, and we all hope it happens.  But this isn't a prime red-circle game for the conference that will echo from Carolina to Lexington.  The team the Pac-12 beats has to really move the needle.

Uh, it's not about "turning heads in NYC", dipshit, it's about the RPI.  Among Iowa State, aTm and Oklahoma as opponents, Oregon State will have the ability to put its RPI in the top 25.  

You're just showing more of your retarded, bitter anti-Oregon State bias.  It's really comical at this point.

Oklahoma has seen its last three Big XII conference records as 7-11, 8-10, and 5-13.  I guess we're to assume that a Pac-12 win over that team will gain our conference national credibility.  I enjoy rooting for the Beavers ... just not one insecure "fan" who literally defines paranoia.  As for your comment on "retarded," I'd assume you might not be aware of its politically incorrect aspects.  Up in Bend, maybe that's not an issue.

To the real issue, though, there are a handful of key games against serious national powers where the Pac-12 could change the national opinion of our conference (and also that of many of our own fans.)  Win some big-time muscle games, and it won't only be McHale and Huntsman that fill their seats.

7 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

With most of the starting team gone, that may be a gift worth having while Miller attempts to make a team out of the newcomers.  This is the year for slowly building a team that peaks in mid-winter.

True. Miller admitted yesterday that the begginning of the season will be bumpy as he integrate 8 new players into the lineup. By conference play I think we're going to be pretty good.

5 minutes ago, azgreg said:

True. Miller admitted yesterday that the begginning of the season will be bumpy as he integrate 8 new players into the lineup. By conference play I think we're going to be pretty good.

This is basically Oregon, too. We’re going to have some slip-ups in November/December, but I have high hopes for the team in March.

2 hours ago, Downthefield said:

Oklahoma has seen its last three Big XII conference records as 7-11, 8-10, and 5-13.  I guess we're to assume that a Pac-12 win over that team will gain our conference national credibility.  I enjoy rooting for the Beavers ... just not one insecure "fan" who literally defines paranoia.  As for your comment on "retarded," I'd assume you might not be aware of its politically incorrect aspects.  Up in Bend, maybe that's not an issue.

To the real issue, though, there are a handful of key games against serious national powers where the Pac-12 could change the national opinion of our conference (and also that of many of our own fans.)  Win some big-time muscle games, and it won't only be McHale and Huntsman that fill their seats.

lol wut

Yes, I'm sure you're a SLAVE to political correctness.  :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Orange said:

lol wut

Yes, I'm sure you're a SLAVE to political correctness.  :rolleyes:

No slave here (especially with the sensitivity to that word,) as participation in a sports forum is considered by some (particularly in Eugene, Berkeley, and Boulder) to be politically incorrect all by itself.  However, I am aware, as most are, that we're in year two of the RPI being tossed in the scrapheap of history.  The Committee no longer uses it.

17 hours ago, Downthefield said:

No slave here (especially with the sensitivity to that word,) as participation in a sports forum is considered by some (particularly in Eugene, Berkeley, and Boulder) to be politically incorrect all by itself.  However, I am aware, as most are, that we're in year two of the RPI being tossed in the scrapheap of history.  The Committee no longer uses it.

:rolleyes: And the NET is essentially the same thing, dipshit.  Strength of schedule, value of wins/losses, etc.  Semantics.  The only things they changed were over-valuing early- or late-season games, and teams who run up the score.  

Again, I already know you're a conservative, probably a trumper, so save the virtue signaling over PC terms and the word "slavery", etc.  It's just a bad look for you.

37 minutes ago, Orange said:

:rolleyes: And the NET is essentially the same thing, dipshit.  Strength of schedule, value of wins/losses, etc.  Semantics.  The only things they changed were over-valuing early- or late-season games, and teams who run up the score.  

Again, I already know you're a conservative, probably a trumper, so save the virtue signaling over PC terms and the word "slavery", etc.  It's just a bad look for you.

It's sad to have to tell you this, but the RPI never used score differential as a factor -- it used a team's winning percentage (25%), its opponents' winning percentage (50%), and the winning percentage of those opponents' opponents (25%).  It also didn't factor in the time during the season a game was played -- the Committee itself did that, but the formula never did.  It's hard to tell whether what you say is bullshit or just plain stupidity.  But it probably doesn't matter.

The political comment is amusing, at best.  I've made it a practice to not talk politics on this board.  However, even a blind squirrel would have run into an acorn here or there when I joke about 4:00 a.m. tweets.

24 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

It's sad to have to tell you this, but the RPI never used score differential as a factor -- it used a team's winning percentage (25%), its opponents' winning percentage (50%), and the winning percentage of those opponents' opponents (25%).  It also didn't factor in the time during the season a game was played -- the Committee itself did that, but the formula never did.  It's hard to tell whether what you say is bullshit or just plain stupidity.  But it probably doesn't matter.

The political comment is amusing, at best.  I've made it a practice to not talk politics on this board.  However, even a blind squirrel would have run into an acorn here or there when I joke about 4:00 a.m. tweets.

Whether the RPI used that or not isn't the point; the point is what the committee DOES use right now, and that still includes strength of schedule.  Oregon State is playing aTm, Oklahoma, and Iowa State, and you think it's not going to "move the needle", for whatever reason, purely because you don't like me.

It's just fun to watch infantile behavior at work, that's all.

Archived