Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2019 at 8:02 AM, glduck said:

Arizona State has played themselves back into the bubble. They'll be 19-8 after Sunday (they host Cal), and are currently #66 in the NET rankings. Not great, but they do finish with three Top 100 opponents on the road: @ Oregon, @ Oregon state, @ Arizona. There's opportunities to move up.

Their resume isn't bad, either, and could further bump them up. Kansas is #15, Mississippi State #26, and Washington #30. Strong finishes by their top three W's could put them over the edge.

UPDATE: getting the shit kicked out of you in eugene is not going to help. back to being a one bid league...

18 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

That's a bad loss.  I don't watch Cal, but wonder why haven't they played this well in other games.

I watched the last 3/4 of the game and was thinking the same thing. Cal earned this win with smart offensive basketball, avoiding turnovers and good defense. They played much better than their record. 

9 hours ago, row Z said:

I watched the last 3/4 of the game and was thinking the same thing. Cal earned this win with smart offensive basketball, avoiding turnovers and good defense. They played much better than their record. 

Lol no.  This conference is just awful.  Cal had no defensive principles and runs the blandest offensive sets you will ever see.  The team quit on the coach last week and apparently started running their own sets in practice.  

50 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Lol no.  This conference is just awful.  Cal had no defensive principles and runs the blandest offensive sets you will ever see.  The team quit on the coach last week and apparently started running their own sets in practice.  

Typical Cal action. Next the players will march on the gym in protest.

4 hours ago, All Hail said:

Did you watch it? They got consistent good looks for mid-range jumpers for Vanover on the baseline down the stretch which other teams have not really gotten consistently. They were smart about working for open shots against the zone. Suing was also quite good with offensive rebounds and put-backs. I was expecting a lifeless/clueless opponent, but Cal was better than that.  

8 hours ago, row Z said:

Did you watch it? They got consistent good looks for mid-range jumpers for Vanover on the baseline down the stretch which other teams have not really gotten consistently. They were smart about working for open shots against the zone. Suing was also quite good with offensive rebounds and put-backs. I was expecting a lifeless/clueless opponent, but Cal was better than that.  

You say they got mid ranged looks for Vanover. Feel free to notice that he’s averaging less than 7 points a game.  How could UW possibly defend against such an opponent.

The fact is, UW could have smoked this lifeless, winless, coachless team.  But they were classically unmotivated to play a winless team. UW actually runs a decent zone when motivated.  Cal’s shooting percentage is not good normally but UW made it easy yesterday. 

19 hours ago, All Hail said:

You say they got mid ranged looks for Vanover. Feel free to notice that he’s averaging less than 7 points a game.  How could UW possibly defend against such an opponent.

The fact is, UW could have smoked this lifeless, winless, coachless team.  But they were classically unmotivated to play a winless team. UW actually runs a decent zone when motivated.  Cal’s shooting percentage is not good normally but UW made it easy yesterday. 

Haha, sounds like you didn’t watch it. Vanover is going to be decent.

3 hours ago, row Z said:

Haha, sounds like you didn’t watch it. Vanover is going to be decent.

So Cal’s strategy of getting mid-range looks to a 7 footer who is “going to be (future tense) decent” was too much for UW.  Man, this conference is even worse than I thought. 

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

So Cal’s strategy of getting mid-range looks to a 7 footer who is “going to be (future tense) decent” was too much for UW.  Man, this conference is even worse than I thought. 

Well, maybe I should upgrade him to decent in the present tense. Numbers were good again tonight against WSU. Also, these Cal fans seem to think you have something in Vanover.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/87247

But don’t let me stop you from shitting all over your team and the conference. I know you have had a rough few years.

12 hours ago, row Z said:

Well, maybe I should upgrade him to decent in the present tense. Numbers were good again tonight against WSU. Also, these Cal fans seem to think you have something in Vanover.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/87247

But don’t let me stop you from shitting all over your team and the conference. I know you have had a rough few years.

You found a couple of Cal fans on the homer site (bearinsider) that think he’s improving and one of them compared him to Imhoff.  Okay, I’m convinced.  This evidence is just too overwhelming for me to continue living in my fantasy world where guys who average 7 points a game on shitty teams aren’t compared to hall of famers.  Well done, I didn’t think you were capable of presenting such overwhelming evidence in your favor but this is me standing corrected.  Well played.

Just to reiterate. According to you, Cal won this game because they were smart and got open looks for a decent player.  Man, you must have astonishingly low expectations of your team if you think they played well and just couldn’t get by a smart Cal team led by a decent player in crunch time.

Archived