ASU @ Utah

Chad Sexington

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

ASU is the dirtiest team in the conference, maybe in the nation. 

136 yards total offense. 122 yards in penalties. 

ASU may have a few dirty players, and it may have been tolerated in the past, but I think Herm will coach it out of them. I know a lot of Ute fans don't like him because he has beat Utah on some recruits, but he seems like a class act to me.

3 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

ASU is the dirtiest team in the conference, maybe in the nation. 

136 yards total offense. 122 yards in penalties. 

It's one of the characteristics of an aggressive team. You're going to get a couple of those flags in a game because you're trying to be aggressive. This isn't a gentleman's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football. It's a physical game.

1 minute ago, MrBug708 said:

Sounds like the Cardinals orgainzation trying to teach us how to play the game the right way. 

Say what you will. There’s no excuse for four personal fouls, including a targeting after the play was dead. That’s the wrong way. When their coach has to apologize for the way they played, that’s the wrong way. 

4 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Say what you will. There’s no excuse for four personal fouls, including a targeting after the play was dead. That’s the wrong way. When their coach has to apologize for the way they played, that’s the wrong way. 

I've just been quoting a Utah football player coming to the defense of a teammate who was accused of being dirty last year. It happens a lot, teams defend their own, I get it.

Food for thought. Utah leads the league in penalties and had an o lineman ejected for targeting last week. I think Blair was ejected a few times last year for targeting.

While I agree some of the plays were dirty in this game, we have little room to talk. 

Herm apologized which is rare for a coach.  

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Food for thought. Utah leads the league in penalties and had an o lineman ejected for targeting last week. 

While I agree some of the plays were dirty in this game, we have little room to talk. 

Herm apologized which is rare for a coach.  

There’s always some extra curricular when Utah and ASU get together. Frankly, I was surprised that the Utes didn’t return the gesture a little more. 

By the way, Utah’s league leading penalties have overwhelmingly been false starts and offensive holding. Not fer nuthin’ (as some might say). 

1 hour ago, Mano said:

I stand by what I said about Herm above, but this was a dirty play:

I don't think all of them were cheap shots with intent to injure, but I 100% think this one was.

Here is some context to the play from the Utah 247 site that I think is ok to share here. The hit is on Solomon Enis (WR from Arizona), who knows the ASU coaches well and chose Utah over ASU among other schools. After the prior Utah TD, the 247 analyst saw ASU's DC yelling at Enis. He then yelled something to the player who made the hit on Enis before he ran in for the kickoff. The two players who went after Enis weren't in on any of ASU's other kick coverage teams before or after the hit. The main guy who laid the hit was their starting LB, who also got injured on the play.

The first three kickoffs shown in the video are for reference to their normal formations and players. The last one is the hit.

Again, I don't think the majority of the other fouls by ASU had the intent to injure, but I do have a problem with this one after seeing some context behind it.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Quack 12 said:

I don't see ASU winning this game.

The Devils have squeaked past a couple of solid defensive teams that have mostly terrible offenses, and split close games with two teams that have decent offenses and little to no defense. 

The Utes are an entirely different animal, especially at home. They'll take advantage of the holes in ASU's defense (and there are many) and its inexperienced quarterback.

Utah bigly.

Nailed it. 

1 minute ago, dtd said:

A healthy Utah should win that game. 

A long ways to go, especially for Utah, before we get there. Utah will still be an underdog on the road to Washington, and if they lose that, USC would have to lose 2 more times for the Utes to get back to CCG. If Huntley misses much time, I am afraid the Utes will be in trouble.

Archived