Who is the Best Coach in the P12?

utenation

9 minutes ago, Orange said:

I'm partial either to Mendenhall or Beau Baldwin.

Jonathon Smith doesn't excite me terribly.  I thought he was overrated as a QB, and I don't know enough about him as a coach.  It seems to me that a high-energy, fired-up coach is critical to winning, and I don't get that vibe from JS.

Hasn't really done much at Cal yet.  We are something like 120th in the country in total offense, which is pretty crazy because last year we were in the top 20.  To fall that far, that fast is pretty eye-opening.  Granted, our QB is mediocre at best and we've lost out two best RBs, our best overall player/star WR, and some key linemen but if the dude is really good, I expect better than 120th. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, All Hail said:

Hasn't really done much at Cal yet.  We are something like 120th in the country in total offense, which is pretty crazy because last year we were in the top 20.  To fall that far, that fast is pretty eye-opening.  Granted, our QB is mediocre at best and we've lost out two best RBs, our best overall player/star WR, and some key linemen but if the dude is really good, I expect better than 120th. 

Balance that against 10 consecutive winning seasons (including a national title) as a head coach at the FCS level, and I feel like he'd be a solid hire.  

25 minutes ago, Orange said:

Balance that against 10 consecutive winning seasons (including a national title) as a head coach at the FCS level, and I feel like he'd be a solid hire.  

I think Baldwin would be a very good hire for OS. 

6 hours ago, All Hail said:

This is also after one of the more difficult stretches in the country, at least according to Sagarin. But it goes deeper than the top WR. No Singleton, no Stovall either. And of course our injured starting TE. The skill position players he actually has to work with, in conjunction with the stretch we just played, AND a mediocre QB, and general year 1 unevenness, it's hard to overcome imo. We honestly have one (maybe) two total players available to catch balls that would start on most other p12 teams. 

The talent on offense right now is prob 2nd worst in the conference. 

37 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Two truths:

Helton has never lost to an unranked team.

He can do himself a HUGE favor this week by beating ASU.

Ive said for 20 years now, SC is the one blue blood who can't hire an established HC.  I don't know if they don't want to, or are unwilling to pay the money, but if they would have just thrown the money at the guy I said they should have two years ago they'd be undefeated right now. Mark Richt, or Urban (I only care about $) Meyer.  

8 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Ive said for 20 years now, SC is the one blue blood who can't hire an established HC.  I don't know if they don't want to, or are unwilling to pay the money, but if they would have just thrown the money at the guy I said they should have two years ago they'd be undefeated right now. Mark Richt, or Urban (I only care about $) Meyer.  

I have made the same observation, it seems obvious that if USC in football or UCLA in basketball were to get an elite coach, they would dominate the league and there would be little the other schools could do to keep up. I am happy that neither school seems to care to pursue an elite guy. 

Archived