NBA 16-17 Thread

All Hail

i hope kerr is ok. he hinted today he could be out for the duration of the playoffs.

as for the blazers in game 4, nurk-less, lillard was down 3-0 to both memphis and san antonio in past years and refused to accept the sweep in the same way he refused to accept tanking this year. golden state may very well win tomorrow but i do expect pdx to put up a fight.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, glduck said:

** looks up at television, sees 28-5 warriors lead in 1st quarter **

well that's a great lasting impression to go out on.

The warriors picked a mean time to play their best basketball of the series.  When curry and Thompson are hitting shots from that far back, there's not a lot you can do.

since the blazers have *no* money, i'd like to make some suggestions for the offseason. no big trade ideas, because the likelihood of anything i suggest happening is not good, and at that point we're just drifting off into fantasy land.

the backcourt: please stop playing lillard, mccollum, and turner together. this was our playoff lineup and it was awful. turner is vastly overpaid, but he's not without some value on the court. my suggestion: go with what worked in boston. the c's successfully paired a score-first point guard (isiah thomas) with turner, and they were pretty good. turner is at his best with the ball in his hands, but so are lillard and mccollum. when playing together, you're either taking turner out of his element by playing off the ball, or putting the ball in his hands and making your two max contract guys into simple stand and pop shooters. it's too much all at once. i say you start lillard and turner and bring mccollum off the bench. this solves our size issue in regards to the starting five, and gives the bench some much needed pop. don't be afraid to use napier. he's getting better and better.

wings: moe harkless saw modest improvement across the board, making him the only blazers to get paid last offseason and actually get better. he shot over 50% from the floor, infamously shot 35% from three, his rebounding and assists went up. a wonderful low risk/high reward gamble from two years ago that's paid off, even if we probably overpaid to get him to stay. but he's only 23. i like harkless. i hope he continues to grow in his assertiveness going forward. what i didn't like was when allan crabbe had to come in and play the 3. crabbe simply doesn't have the wheels to do that, and after completely no-showing in the playoffs, i don't want to see or hear from him until next october. my suggestion here is to draft justin jackson (north carolina) w/ pick #26, if he's still available. i don't believe jackson is an nba star in the making, or even an above average nba starter. but again, we have moe harkless signed for three more years, so it's not like we need him to be. i think jackson has a nice, ready-made nba offensive game, with a nice outside shot and an impressive, unblockable array of floaters. harkless will be 26 when his deal is up, and it'll be about time to decide on who to extend: harkless or jackson. let's let them compete. 

the frontcourt: his name is nurkic, and He has Risen. of course we're the blazers so this simple fracture will undoubtedly turn into something chronic and career-threatening, but until that happens for sure let's count our blessings we were able to fleece the nuggets out of something special. now let's get him some help. i like aminu's contract and i kind of like his defense, but after he came back from injury this year it seemed like he only showed up to play one out of every five games. and sometimes i have a hard time figuring out what he offers that harkless can't do from the wing. i propose we trade meyers leonard, the 15 and the 20 to sacramento for the 10, the second divac's two top 10 picks, and select zach collins (gonzaga). we won't be able to start collins right away, but we can afford to bring him along. it's not like we're going to win 60+ games next year and fight it out with the warriors in the WCF. collins provides options at both the 4 and 5. in time he can start alongside nurk, and since nurkic does not seem (to me) to be an 82-games-a-year kind of center, he can spell him at the 5 on nights where he doesn't play. we also return vonleh, who took a step forward this year, and ed davis, a nice role player inside who will probably get traded.

Is there any way to get rid of Meyers Leonard and his contract?  It seems like Portland is stuck with him at least through the 2019 trade deadline when maybe his $11 million expiring contract in Summer 2020 looks attractive to a team?  It's been reported he's dealing with back and hip issues so I won't say it's totally his fault he sucked ass compared to previous spot duty in seasons' past but good lord I feel bad watching him on the court.  Plus it's known he puts in the work but he just has zero instinct as to where the ball is going or where to be on the court most of the time.

I don't even know what to say about Festus Ezili other than giving him anything more than the veteran minimum was a complete mistake by GM Bro.

Canzano is a real-life troll.  My favorite was when he dragged his wife Anna (local news anchor) to Pac 12 media day years ago and had her record him as John tried to bait Chip Kelly into getting angry about the Will Lyles non-story.  

That was some world-class glory boy look-at-me stuff from Crapzano.

Archived