gary andersen and osu part ways

glduck

7 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

He'll get a HC job, I wouldn't hold my breath if I was a WSU fan waiting for him to stay in Pullman after the masterful job he's done.

That sai Jonathan Smith would have to make more sense for OSU.  Or Rocky Long. 

I’m sure he will.  Joe Salave’a makes more sense right now.  Asst Head Coach experience.  If the Beavs go for an asst. an offensive coordinator makes more sense.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I’m sure he will.  Joe Salave’a makes more sense right now.  Asst Head Coach experience.  If the Beavs go for an asst. an offensive coordinator makes more sense.

Love big Joe, but he's not getting a power 5 HC job anytime soon.

Jesus.

This does not bode well for potential hires if a guy said "$2.5 mill a year to stay here?  No thanks,  I'm out."

Can't tell if this is pride (not wanting to wait to be fired) or just frustration and misery.  This is a decision he may soon regret.  Nobody comes out smelling like perfume.

49 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Yeah, I think Grinch is even further from it.

The other thing you have to remember is UO just gave Leavitt $1.15mil a year.  Grinch will be offered somewhere in the same neighborhood by a school either in the confrence or someone like Texas A&M, if he's not offered a HC job, and I doubt WSU can compete.  

I know he will leave.  I’ve been around awhile.  I think he will probably have to have a little more success and I dont think he will need to expose himself to a program as bad as OSU is now when he does leave.  I would think he moves up the DC ladder, and that could happen anytime now, before he goes head coach.

4 hours ago, Mano said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/9/16449298/oregon-state-parting-ways-gary-andersen

Gary is a standup guy. Don't think many coaches would leave that money on the table. I don't know if he has any personal issues that impacted his decision, I hope it all works out for him.

Liked the comment in the comments section about the Beavers being unique by going back to the triple option.

Look man, no one is so noble to walk from $12million guaranteed. I don't buy that as far as I can throw it. My thoughts are twofold, either:

1. He was going to be forced to fire one of if not most of his assistants, and didn't want to face that decision, or
  2. The rumors of impropriety with the staff and coeds had legitimate teeth and he is saving his family values face. 

I don't believe he hated coaching at OSU or losing to the tune of $12 million. I just don't. 

11 hours ago, Nakedmolerat said:

Look man, no one is so noble to walk from $12million guaranteed. I don't buy that as far as I can throw it. My thoughts are twofold, either:

1. He was going to be forced to fire one of if not most of his assistants, and didn't want to face that decision, or
  2. The rumors of impropriety with the staff and coeds had legitimate teeth and he is saving his family values face. 

I don't believe he hated coaching at OSU or losing to the tune of $12 million. I just don't. 

I agree with this.  There had to be some sort of personal issue, or something else that may or may not come to light later.   Perhaps we'll see.  

Sure, it's tough at OSU.  Not the best facilities, but also not the worst.  They've invested more than in Pullman.  They've been able to draw recruits on par with past years under Riley.  There is a recent history of some success.  More than half the time over the past 18 years the team has gone to bowl games.  This isn't Cal Bakersfield for crissakes.  Maybe 3 ADs in 3 years was too much?  Dunno.  It's mystifying, for sure.

Archived