Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

UW hires john Donovan as OC.  He gets some glowing reviews from his last job as an OC.

Penn St fans on reddit:

"Not to doom and gloom things but he's our worst OC of the past two decades."

"He ran a read option with Christian Hackenberg"

"Bubble screens, jet sweeps, and getting sacked on a two man rush."

"The Jimmy Lake era has ended before it even began."

"I hope y'all like jet sweeps to the short side of the field."

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HLB said:

At MS State, Leach won't raise the bar above 6, 7 or 8 wins per season, and certainly won't win the SEC West.  I don't expect this to last beyond 3 years.

At Texas Tech, Leach had to deal with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma every season.  In the Pac-12, Leach dealt with UW, UO, and Stanford.  You really are underselling Leach as a coach.

16 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

At Texas Tech, Leach had to deal with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma every season.  In the Pac-12, Leach dealt with UW, UO, and Stanford.  You really are underselling Leach as a coach.

At Texas Tech, Leach had season win totals of 7, 7, 9, 8, 8, 9, 8, 11 and 8.  He beat Oklahoma once, Texas twice, OK State four times and TXA&M four times.

At WSU, Leach had season win totals of 3, 6, 3, 9, 8, 11 and 6 - and twice lost to FCS OOC opponents and three times he lost to G5 OOC opponents.

Just because he had to deal with teams you mention doesn't mean he was a highly successful coach and regularly beat the teams you mention (he lost more times than not against those teams).  Anyone can coach a team against the teams you mentioned (and lose).  That doesn't make that individual a great coach.

As for who is under estimating what, at MS STATE he will have to face AUBURN, LSU, BAMA and TAMU every season - which already makes him 0-4 in each of the four seasons he is under contract for, and that doesn't include the 2-2 split he will have with Ole Miss and Kentucky - two other annual opponents.

As I said, (as he did at TXTECH and Wazzu) he will win between 6 and 8 games every season.  A 9-win season would be the high water mark, and that would mean a win over either AUBURN, LSU, BAMA or TAMU, which isn't going to happen.  YOU, are grossly under estimating the strength of the SEC opponents he will face every year.

19 hours ago, Chile_Ute said:

Oh thank god you’re back...I was afraid the basketball season would have driven you off.

I'm assuming you're talking to me - and "back"?  I never left.

And unlike the football team, Utah's basketball team is actually pretty good.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:15 PM, Scorcho said:

pump the brakes Miss. St fans, wait till New Mexico beats Mike Leach's Bulldogs 54-51 in next years opener and never beats Ole Miss

I don't think anyone at MS STATE is standing on the gas …. And if New Mexico beats MSU, Leach might not make it through his first season.

As for who he won't beat in four years:  LSU, AUBURN, BAMA and TAMU.  His best season will be 8-4, and that's if he wins his P5 OOC games, as well as defeats Ole Miss and Kentucky - not to mention games against Georgia, South Carolina and Missouri.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, azgreg said:

Very excited about this.  He’s a bit of a NFL retread but that instantly makes him the best OC cal has ever hired haha.  Just look at who he’s replacing, beau fucking Baldwin.  Huge upgrade.

If we get the Musgrave that turned an awful Raiders team into the best offense in 2016 and somehow went 12-4 with the worst defense in the NFL, Cal will be in great shape.  Excited to see what he can do with all 11 starters returning as well as a talented LT (assuming he’s doesn’t get injured again.)

This is a big year for Cal, which you can only say so often.

5 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Arizona completes it's staff. Some of you will recognize him.

He was the worst DC in the history of Cal football and that is quite a statement.  The guy was a terrible recruiter, tactician, public speaker, he sucked at just about everything.  Good luck with him, maybe he learned some tough lessons and has learned him his mistakes but I doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, glduck said:

Before Mariota settled the debate, there was a decent number of Duck fans who considered Musgrave the best quarterback in school history. 

The best qb in Ducks history got outclassed by Ryan Tannehill.  Sorry, that was uncalled for but the Ducks have had too much success in all sports as of late. 

in all seriousness, I’m very excited to see how he works with Garbers, who took a big step forward last year under the awful Beau Baldwin.  

3 hours ago, All Hail said:

He was the worst DC in the history of Cal football and that is quite a statement.  The guy was a terrible recruiter, tactician, public speaker, he sucked at just about everything.  Good luck with him, maybe he learned some tough lessons and has learned him his mistakes but I doubt it. 

Thanks, he'll be perfect for Arizona football.

12 hours ago, glduck said:

Before Mariota settled the debate, there was a decent number of Duck fans who considered Musgrave the best quarterback in school history. 

I must have missed that.  While I can appreciate what he did for UO, he'd be lucky to be a top 10 QB at UO.  

11 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I must have missed that.  While I can appreciate what he did for UO, he'd be lucky to be a top 10 QB at UO.  

The Ducks have signed a very good QB out of Hoover High, in Birmingham, Alabama.  He's very talented dual threat and I would expect some exciting things from him.  He might very well end up being the best QB that Oregon has ever had.

He and his HS teammate (WR Pickens - who is a year older) were once heading to Auburn together.  Then Pickens flipped on signing day, and went to Georgia, where he was the MOP of the Sugar Bowl this year.  After Pickens flipped, Ashford backed off from Auburn and was heading to Ole Miss.  Then Ole Miss fired their HC in November and he turned to Oregon.

1 minute ago, HLB said:

The Ducks have signed a very good QB out of Hoover High, in Birmingham, Alabama.  He's very talented and I would expect some exciting things from him.  He might very well end up being the best QB that Oregon has ever had.

Funny, there is a HS coach from Alabama who all the time on Duck boards.  And he thinks he ends up at WR, and isn't a very good QB.  We will see.  That said UO does have 2 NFL HOF QBs.  So ending up better than those 2, is a tall task.  

Archived