Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

Given the Buff success of the 1990's especially the 1990 National Championship with that legendary OOC schedule,

You went 2-1-1 during that "legendary OOC schedule". Not to mention, everyone on earth knows you lost to Missouri.

No championship program EVER brags about "legendary schedules."  This is why.  You look stupid.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Given the Buff success of the 1990's especially the 1990 National Championship with that legendary OOC schedule, it's fair to think that CU was aiming higher especially given the money poured into the Champions Center with more Folsom Field projects in the pipeline (west side probably is next).  I did not have the benefit of watching the Buffs from the early 1980's to 1988 where maybe my expectations for CU could be more tempered.  1989 was when I got started as a CU fan especially that Nebraska-CU game and 1990 was the first full season for me.  That was quite the start to rooting for a new team just a few years after moving to the state from Texas.  

But getting to 6-7 wins per season over the next decade would be fine with me after just one winning season in 14 years.  It might wear out its welcome but I believe CU fans are just beyond tired of just two bowl games in that same time span.  I'd be happy even if CU just wins one conference title this decade (I'm hoping for two to make up for the 2010s debacle).  My family consists of Boise State and Oklahoma fans and it would have been so easy to ditch CU by now due to the last 14 seasons but I haven't and I'm pretty die hard when it comes to the Buffs.  My in-laws knows that I'm hardcore CU and gets me CU gear for Christmas instead of Denver Broncos gear.

If the Buffs simply made a bowl game back in 2016 instead of winning the South, perhaps the Buffs pick up a couple of more winning seasons along the way and would be working on contending for the South maybe this season or next.

I never ever want to see CU revert back to 2011 and 2012 levels of suckitude.

So, try to respond coherently: 

Are you good with 6-7 wins a year, or will you need a conference title or two to satisfy you?

I am confident that 6-7 wins is not going to get you a Rose Bowl ( conference title ). 

Also ( I know I am going to regret this ), explain to me how sneaking into a bowl game in 2016 would have made it easier to have more winning seasons after that as opposed to winning the South as CU did.

11 minutes ago, Mano said:

Are you good with 6-7 wins a year, or will you need a conference title or two to satisfy you?

I am confident that 6-7 wins is not going to get you a Rose Bowl ( conference title ). 

Also ( I know I am going to regret this ), explain to me how sneaking into a bowl game in 2016 would have made it easier to have more winning seasons after that as opposed to winning the South as CU did.

Lol, I’ll answer, obviously not for jalapeno.  

CU has been so bad, in frankly a bad south, that at the moment I’ll take 6-7 wins.  At some point expectations will rise, but the fact that people reference success from 30 years ago shows you where we are.

And I have no idea how to explain the last part.

31 minutes ago, Mano said:

Bowl game is the expectation for CU football from me this decade.  Getting a conference title or even two would be great but I'm going to stick with bowl games at this point.  Nothing more.

CU's 2017 team was not quite as hungry as the previous season and after a spectacular 2016 season, you can tell the guys didn't put in the work during the following off season.  If CU simply made a bowl game in 2016, I believe CU's players would have put forth better work in the off season which would have led to a better 2017 season along with a bowl game and more program momentum entering 2018 and last year.  It was very telling in the 2017 home game against Northern Colorado that this team didn't put in the work during the offseason.  They visit Boulder again next season.

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

CU's 2017 team was not quite as hungry as the previous season and after a spectacular 2016 season, you can tell the guys didn't put in the work during the following off season.  If CU simply made a bowl game in 2016, I believe CU's players would have put forth better work in the off season which would have led to a better 2017 season along with a bowl game and more program momentum entering 2018 and last year.  It was very telling in the 2017 home game against Northern Colorado that this team didn't put in the work during the offseason.  They visit Boulder again next season.

If this were the case, I would say CU had the worst coaching staff in the country, and that their players should be playing powder puff non-competitive rec league football.

I can think of no greater insult that I could launch against my Utes this year than insinuating they aren't trying as hard because they are content with getting to the Alamo Bowl last year.

12 minutes ago, Mano said:

If this were the case, I would say CU had the worst coaching staff in the country, and that their players should be playing powder puff non-competitive rec league football.

I can think of no greater insult that I could launch against my Utes this year than insinuating they aren't trying as hard because they are content with getting to the Alamo Bowl last year.

It’s super easy to say a team, an entire team, wasn’t as hungry and it’s on the coach.

Too easy imo.  It’s considerably more complicated and frankly worse than that.

6 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

It’s super easy to say a team, an entire team, wasn’t as hungry and it’s on the coach.

Too easy imo.  It’s considerably more complicated and frankly worse than that.

I don't think it was the case at all. The CU team that won the south was senior laden, and they basically lost all the talent and experience that led to their success. They either did not have, or did not develop, the depth to continue success near that level.

My guess is the vast majority of athletes on any major college football team want very much to win and work their asses off to try and accomplish that, and inferring otherwise is a pretty big slap in the face.

12 minutes ago, Mano said:

I don't think it was the case at all. The CU team that won the south was senior laden, and they basically lost all the talent and experience that led to their success. They either did not have, or did not develop, the depth to continue success near that level.

My guess is the vast majority of athletes on any major college football team want very much to win and work their asses off to try and accomplish that, and inferring otherwise is a pretty big slap in the face.

Agreed.

part of CUs problem has been a lack of depth.  Has been for quite a while.  The kids, and coaches for that matter bust their ass.  They just were not that good.  It’s that simple.  

This is a below average program at the moment, so it doesn’t take much to fall apart.

oh, and the south was pretty bad.

7 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

Agreed.

part of CUs problem has been a lack of depth.  Has been for quite a while.  The kids, and coaches for that matter bust their ass.  They just were not that good.  It’s that simple.  

This is a below average program at the moment, so it doesn’t take much to fall apart.

I agree, but I thought they would have gotten a recruiting boost when they won the south ( which is why I thought saying they would have been better off in the future squeaking into a bowl game was asinine ).

When you can't get the top recruits, coaching staff really needs to be dialed in to the types of players they can recruit and coach up to compete with teams that have a natural recruiting advantage. While Utah will never be able to consistently compete with the elite of college football, the coaching staff has done a great job identifying lower rated players, particularly for the defensive line and secondary, that still have attributes and potential to be compete at a high level with hard work and coaching.

10 minutes ago, Mano said:

Yet CU returned some key players such as Montez and I don't think there was one CU fan saying CU would contend for the South again that season.  More like a bowl game at most and CU lost by three at UCLA and then at home against UA which ended up being the first of three straight 5-7 seasons.

2018 had that 5-0 start then that OT loss at home to Oregon State.  Last year had those painful home losses to Air Force, Arizona, and USC.  Man...CU was ahead of USC for crying out loud!

CU certainly had the talent to go to bowl games the last three seasons but failed to do so.  It's possible coaching played a factor given MacIntyre's 0-for bowl clinching games during that span.

It looks like it would be a miracle if CU went bowling this season due to the unusual timing of a coaching change.

Maybe getting that Arizona DBs coach would be worth getting that sixth win after all. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Mano said:

I agree, but I thought they would have gotten a recruiting boost when they won the south ( which is why I thought saying they would have been better off in the future squeaking into a bowl game was asinine ).

When you can't get the top recruits, coaching staff really needs to be dialed in to the types of players they can recruit and coach up to compete with teams that have a natural recruiting advantage. While Utah will never be able to consistently compete with the elite of college football, the coaching staff has done a great job identifying lower rated players, particularly for the defensive line and secondary, that still have attributes and potential to be compete at a high level with hard work and coaching.

CU got the likes of Viska Shenault Jr, Jake Moretlli (who was committed to Ohio State and medically retired), Lance Landman (good LB who returns this season), Alex Fontenot (CU's leading rusher last season), and Carson Wells (another good LB for the Buffs who returns this season) from that 2017 class which was 8th in the Pac-12 and 35th in the nation.  Not too bad.  2018 was 53, 2019 was 44, and this year was 36.  2013, 2014, and 2015 were in the 60's so there is some truth for what you are saying about the 2017 team but I will still say they had the talent to play in a bowl game.  Based on that fact and CU's most recent recruiting classes, there should be better days for the Buffs ahead which includes bowl games.

26 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Yet CU returned some key players such as Montez and I don't think there was one CU fan saying CU would contend for the South again that season. 

I'm not nearly interested enough to actually do the digging, but someone should.  Because I guarantee you predicted this.

4 minutes ago, Orange said:

I'm not nearly interested enough to actually do the digging, but someone should.  Because I guarantee you predicted this.

I hope not.  While they ending up worse than I thought, it wasn’t a particularly good team.

lol, I know, breaking news.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:42 PM, Jalapeno said:

Bowl game is the expectation for CU football from me this decade.  Getting a conference title or even two would be great but I'm going to stick with bowl games at this point.  Nothing more.

The 2017 team didn't have as much talent (due to attrition), as the 2016 team - hunger had nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, the 2016 team lost to any and every team that was decent:  Michigan, USC, Washington and OKState.  With a tougher schedule, CU wouldn't have won 10 games that season.

2 hours ago, HLB said:

Interesting.

Everyone knocks the SEC as "overrated" and refuses to acknowledge that the P12 isn't on the same level, yet it's "great news" and a sign of "good things to happen", when an SEC coach joins a P12 coaching staff.

Aren't you a Mississippi fan?  

Archived