Is Taggart leaving?

EastCoastFan

Kinda stunned, but I guess if you don't want mass transfers, you need to hire who the players want. 

I think Sumlin is the better long-term solution, but the AD is under huge pressure to not let this recruiting class slip away.

I'd say it's a good hire overall if they keep Leavitt. Not so much if he bounces to FSU with Taggart.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of the other names we were hearing (sumlin, harsin, wilcox) sumlin kind of scares me because i'm afraid he might have seen eugene as a stepping stone to rehabilitate his image and try to land a bigger job in 2-3 years. and, if he didn't re-emerge as a popular name nationally, that means we've been stuck with mediocre sumlin. 

harsin is mediocre and boise clearly isn't what they once were. 

and while i found myself pulling for wilcox, i don't know if he ever even agreed to an interview. it's entirely possible he had too much integrity to bail on his current school after a year. not everyone is willie taggart. 

so i guess i'm not stunned. as i've said before, i don't know how you can realistically even consider his FIU years. i don't know how you process that kind of data. 

28 minutes ago, glduck said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/5/3730966/mario-cristobal-fired-fiu-football-coach

A.) it looks like he did have an offer or two (rutgers, pitt)

B.) he looks like an incredibly sweaty individual

C.) since none of us know anything about FIU, we can guess and assume all we want, but it doesn't seem relevent. 

Cut him a break.  Miami is basically Hades with palm trees and Cubans.

re: the guy telling us to "go big!":

we couldn't even get an alum whose family bleeds green and yellow to interview. it's not about a few message board fans being debby downers, it was taking a realistic approach to our second coaching search in two years. we had run down all the big names just last year. pointless to do it again. 

3 minutes ago, glduck said:

we couldn't even get an alum whose family bleeds green and yellow to interview. it's not about a few message board fans being debby downers, it was taking a realistic approach to our second coaching search in two years. we had run down all the big names just last year. pointless to do it again. 

I'm the guy saying that going big was the way, that the Ducks had the name, the elbows, the colors, the money, the facilities, the excitement, the whatever.  If you're saying that nobody worth anything would come, it raises the obvious question.  What's so toxic about Eugene?

16 hours ago, PapaG said:

Solely because of his Oregon roots, which run deep.  I'd be shocked if it's him, though.  Plus it would be hypocritical for UO to poach Wilcox after one year at Cal considering how Mullens shit all over Taggart in the presser earlier this week.

It's a business.  Winning comes first.  Not being a hypocrite and looking like the good guy is a distant second.  Therefore, if Oregon feels Wilcox is the best option available, they will aggressive move on him, hypocritical or not. Looks like he's not interested though, which is surprising to me. 

13 minutes ago, glduck said:

Alum or not, you can only stiff a competitive guy so many times before he'd rather beat you than join you.  This is a rare  and much needed piece of good news for Cal sports right now haha. 

8 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

I'm the guy saying that going big was the way, that the Ducks had the name, the elbows, the colors, the money, the facilities, the excitement, the whatever.  If you're saying that nobody worth anything would come, it raises the obvious question.  What's so toxic about Eugene?

nothing. i think you just highly overrate the oregon job. we have never, nor likely will ever, be a school that can close it's eyes and pick out from a stack of resumes from anyone in the country. the fact that we're likely at the very end of the coaching carousel did not help matters. if this happened two weeks ago you'd likely see those inquiries out to chip kelly and scott frost. 

5 minutes ago, All Hail said:

It's a business.  Winning comes first.  Not being a hypocrite and looking like the good guy is a distant second.  Therefore, if Oregon feels Wilcox is the best option available, they will aggressive move on him, hypocritical or not. Looks like he's not interested though, which is surprising to me. 

Could also be he knows that if things go south on him at a UC school, he's locked in one or two years longer than he should be

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

Could also be he knows that if things go south on him at a UC school, he's locked in one or two years longer than he should be

Not only this, but he is likely to a nice contract extension even when it is not deserved (see Tedford and Dykes.)

Cristobal isn’t an exciting hire, but I think a solid one. Sounded like he really wanted the Oregon job specifically (on top of wanting to be a head coach). It’s been common knowledge that he and his wife moved out here because they loved Eugene. 

I think a lot of people are undervaluing his time at Alabama. He worked with Saban, was Assistant Head Coach, and the recruiting coordinator. All aspects he was involved with at Alabama were tops in the country as well. 

Then you add in hopefully keeping this stellar staff together, and we were at the end of the hiring round; I think this was a solid B grade of a hire. 

Archived