Gaming Thread

PAC MAN

For anyone looking at possibly getting next-gen, my suggestion : hold off until at least TitanFall hits. Hasn't been anything noteworthy to say "ZOMG, I have to get the next gen system". Even though NBA2k14 does look pretty sweet.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my friends have formed a "clan" on clash of clans and successfully convinced me to play with them. Has anyone heard of this game? What am I getting myself into?

Interesting, I gave my Ipad to a grand nephew and asked him to load some apps that he thought were cool, and he loaded that one.  So, it must be getting some play.

2K Sports has scanned NFL players with the same technology they scan NBA players for the NBA 2K series.  Can someone say NFL 2K15?

EA Sports' exclusive license is done at this point (Madden 25 was the last game under that deal).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LLCqhso_KSw

If 2K Sports can make NFL games again (I'm more of an EA Sports guy myself), I will seriously consider the PS4 which would happen around this fall.

My first week playing Clash of Clans:

I fear I've made a terrible mistake as this game is rediculously addicting. Reminds me of Warcraft 3 except your base is permanent and only grows as time goes on.

The game is free but it attempts to entice you to advance more rapidly by using gems to speed up the building process and gems cost money. They can also be obtained by completing achievements. Fortunately, my decades of Cal fandom has taught me how to be patient and I refuse to sink money into the game.

The challenging aspect of the game is that other players can loot your base which can slow down your progress. The places extra importance in investing in a solid defense by upgrading towers and walls.

However, this works both ways as you can accellerate your advancement by raiding and looting other peoples bases.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/5278206/nvidia-debuts-tegra-k1-192-core-processor

Nvidia unveils the next Tegra chip which is the K1.  That thing is more powerful than a XBox 360 or PS3.  That means only the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful when it comes to gaming but the question is how long will that last?

I wonder what the next iPhone and iPad will be capable of.

My first week playing Clash of Clans:

I fear I've made a terrible mistake as this game is rediculously addicting. Reminds me of Warcraft 3 except your base is permanent and only grows as time goes on.

The game is free but it attempts to entice you to advance more rapidly by using gems to speed up the building process and gems cost money. They can also be obtained by completing achievements. Fortunately, my decades of Cal fandom has taught me how to be patient and I refuse to sink money into the game.

The challenging aspect of the game is that other players can loot your base which can slow down your progress. The places extra importance in investing in a solid defense by upgrading towers and walls.

However, this works both ways as you can accellerate your advancement by raiding and looting other peoples bases.

Candy Crush got stale?

Tried Clans it's like most of the games for droid we will see...I'm still protected by the original shield

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/5278206/nvidia-debuts-tegra-k1-192-core-processor

Nvidia unveils the next Tegra chip which is the K1.  That thing is more powerful than a XBox 360 or PS3.  That means only the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful when it comes to gaming but the question is how long will that last?

I wonder what the next iPhone and iPad will be capable of.

High end PC video cards have been more powerfull than the 360 and PS3 for years. It is likely these new cards will be more powerfull than the XB1 and PS4.  High end video cards for the PC will pretty much always be more powerfull than what is in consoles at any given time.

You have to realize that the video cards for the consoles are usually using technoligy that is least a year or two old for the consoles when they first ship, and they do not change over the lifespan of that generation of console, while with a PC you can upgrade to the latest greatest technoligy at any time. The consoles try to set up some other things so that games run more optimally, but a high end PC in general can blow away a console as far as performance goes. The problem for game developers, is that when you make a video game for the PC, you generally need to develop so that your game plays well on the LOWEST end PC's and video cards that are out there if you want to maximize your market, whereas the consoles are a fixed platform. So, you can make cooler, higher performing games for a high end PC, but you would be selling to a tiny user base and make no money.

Still impressive on what Nvidia has managed to do in this case.  Yes I agree PC gaming will still beat the consoles but even PC games are held back by the consoles' specs especially if the company makes it for the consoles and PC games.  Given how Playstation Now is on its way and as a former OnLive customer, I believe that eventually games will be no longer held back by the specs of consoles as long as hackers don't take down the streaming websites as they have done with PSN and even the Nintendo Network has had problems.

It's insane to spend that kind of $$$ but some people do certainly have more than enough money for themselves.

The article was a bit unclear on this. 

"EVE Online" utilizes its own in-game currency, and Carl expects the damage from Monday's conflict to equal about $200,000 in real-world cash. The skirmish first erupted after a member of Carl's coalition missed a payment to protect an area that's been used as a staging ground for a war raging between Carl's Pandemic and N3 coalition versus CFC and Russian forces.

Maybe some of this is calculated in geek hours of labor equivalencies.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.webpronews.com/ps-vita-slim-announced-for-north-america-2014-02

New PS Vita Slim is on its way. That whole package is good enough for me to pick up an Vita plus remote play with the PS4 if I decide to go down that path with Sony.

Going to wait until E3 to see if 2KSports has a football game for the PC or not before I go ahead with the PS4 but it's more unlikely since there are more than enough sports games such as MLB 2K12, NBA 2K14 (I want 2K15), Madden 08, NHL 09, a rugby game, and NASCAR '14.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/02/ever-wanted-your-logo-and-uniform-design-in-madden-here-is-your-chance/#

Very cool thing about next Madden NFL game.

EA Sports is really stepping it up...perhaps since NFL 2K15 by 2KSports is indeed on its way. I'm hoping for PC releases and given the financial state that Sony & Nintendo are in these days along with rumors of M$ wanting to sell its XBox division, I think it's very likely.

2KSports or any other company could make a NCAA FB game, but I think it's unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone looking at possibly getting next-gen, my suggestion : hold off until at least TitanFall hits. Hasn't been anything noteworthy to say "ZOMG, I have to get the next gen system". Even though NBA2k14 does look pretty sweet.

Titanfall is running at 792p at 60fps on the XBox One according to reports I have seen online.

That game is not coming to South Africa due to poor internet performance in that country.  This game is being made by Electronic Arts and I think you would remember the Sim City game issues when it came to cloud gaming.  The servers crashed last night and people are unable to play Titanfall.  Just imagine the furor when a future Madden NFL game requires usuage of the cloud.  I believe EA just allowed Sim City users to not be required to save games to the cloud or be connected to the cloud.

Microsoft's buisness structure is going to be based on the cloud going forward.  This could be bad for the XBox One and PC gaming.

I won't be shocked if M$ pulls the plug on the XB1 if Titanfall flatters and plus the new head of the division that overlooks the XBox is a person who has said that he would get rid of the XB1.  I believe M$'s goal is to get people into PC gaming.

I believe PS4 is going to dominate this generation.  XB1 might not even launch in Japan at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone keeping up with RBI Baseball 2014? Just read that games should average 20 min each. This game could be epic...just played Ken Griffery Jr Baseball for the SNES. It's time for a really good simple game of baseball.

Titanfall is running at 792p at 60fps on the XBox One according to reports I have seen online.

That game is not coming to South Africa due to poor internet performance in that country.  This game is being made by Electronic Arts and I think you would remember the Sim City game issues when it came to cloud gaming.  The servers crashed last night and people are unable to play Titanfall.  Just imagine the furor when a future Madden NFL game requires usuage of the cloud.  I believe EA just allowed Sim City users to not be required to save games to the cloud or be connected to the cloud.

Microsoft's buisness structure is going to be based on the cloud going forward.  This could be bad for the XBox One and PC gaming.

I won't be shocked if M$ pulls the plug on the XB1 if Titanfall flatters and plus the new head of the division that overlooks the XBox is a person who has said that he would get rid of the XB1.  I believe M$'s goal is to get people into PC gaming.

I believe PS4 is going to dominate this generation.  XB1 might not even launch in Japan at all.

Yeah, it's not even running at true 1080p yet. They screwed the pooch when they made that announcement.

Archived