Gaming Thread

PAC MAN

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazon just unveiled the Amazon Fire TV which will retail for $99.99.  You can buy a controller for $39.99.

Info on Fire TV's controller: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazon-fire-tv-game-controller/

Fire TV announcement: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazon-announces-android-powered-streaming-stick/

You can use a Fire tablet as controller as well. 

I hope this forces Sony to release the Vita TV sooner but I think it's coming soon as well with the Playstation Now thing.  Same for Apple and Google.

This is going to be an insane year for videogames.

M$ just had Build 2014 and some very significant stuff that flew under the radar.

Universal Apps: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2138625/microsoft-introduces-universal-apps-that-scale-across-phones-tablets-and-pcs.html

My iPad is a first generation one and it's still going strong nearly four years after it went home with me from Best Buy.  You were able to play your iPhone games on the iPad right away but they also sold iPad versions of the same game that couldn't be played on your phone which meant if you wanted to get the most out of your game on the iPad, you would need to buy both games.  I was smart enough to avoid doing that and I saw the same problems with Windows 8.  Now that appears to be resolved.

This could mean Madden NFL makes a return to the PC but it would not be the same version as the XB1 or 360 version.  It would be interesting to see how companies like EA Sports and 2K Sports handle their sports titles for the XB1 and any other Windows related devices.

EDIT: M$ also waived the Windows 8 fees for any tablet/phone under 9".  That means cheaper Windows 8 tablets could be around the corner.

Also the Start Button makes a return in Windows 8.2.  Looks like M$ is starting to get its act together with Windows 8.  I know tablet or phone games pale in comparsion compared to their game consoles but having all those games on a big screen TV would be a neat thing.

The XB1 controller pc driver is still on its way.  I loved how the triggers had their own virbation motors built in when I tried out that controller at a GameStop.

EDIT 2: RBI Baseball 14 will be out TOMORROW for the 360, PS3, and iOS.  PS4, XB1, and Android will follow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped playing awhile ago -- too repetitive and The game starts taking way too long to advance through once you get to level 9 and your troops have 5 upgrades. The 6th upgrade for giants costs 6 million elixir. Meanwhile, resources get more difficult to find.

Finally got Madden 08 running...all I had to do was switch the compatability to XP SP3 and it was good to go.  :wacko:   Now I just need to locate the 360 gamepad and it will be great playing on the laptop.  It's the same version as the PS2/XBox so it should easily run on any computers bought within the last five years or so.  The nice thing is that you can go to a website and get the current rosters and uniforms if I'm not mistaken.

I'm done with game consoles and it will be PC, smartphone, and tablet gaming from now on for me. B)

Gaming PC that I plan to build will include the AMD Athlon 5350 APU.  I know it's four Jaguar cores at 2.05GHz each with integrated video but someone managed to play Titanfall on that APU alone without a discrete GPU.  There are two APUs like that in the XBox One (clocked at 1.75GHz.  And there was no overclocking in this case.  Pretty good for a 25W TDP computer.  Should be good for the electric bill. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Y9WBv5-R-Y

Thought of the day: Did anyone see the PC requirements for that new Wolfstein game?  Core i7 cpu is the minimum...I wonder if the PS4 and XB1 will have a short generation this time around.  Watch Dogs's recommended specs include eight core CPUs just like the PS4 or XB1.  Those two consoles have not even been out for one year and it's possible they are getting maxed out this soon.  The PS3 and 360 didn't have very demanding games early in their lifecycles.

At least we have an idea of the requirements for Doom 4.  Speaking of Doom, I got my i3 laptop cleaned up  and now I can play Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 3 with the 360 controller.  Doom 3 is best played with the lights turned out and headphones with the bass turned up.  If anyone knows the new Shadow Warrior has the classic Shadow Warrior that can be controlled by a 360 controller, please let me know!

Perhaps the XBox Two would be out within a few years at the earliest followed by the Playstation 5.

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is several weeks away and Apple's WWDC conference is next week.  I'm thankful I was born in June since it also means anticipation for college football is starting soon.

Don't care. Mario kart 8 is dope. I bought the bundle, registered, got a free game. Been playing like crazy. Tell me someone else has it and wants to get smashed.

How old are you?  lol.  Sounds like you are having fun.

Since I am usually absent from the board on the weekends, I will go ahead and get started on E3 coverage which is slated to start next week. 

Electronic Arts will have their presser at noon on Monday June 9th.  Microsoft kicks things off at 9:30 am.

Since I am usually absent from the board on the weekends, I will go ahead and get started on E3 coverage which is slated to start next week. 

Electronic Arts will have their presser at noon on Monday June 9th.  Microsoft kicks things off at 9:30 am.

There's a LOT of games that are pushing til 2015. I jumped on the next gen console bandwagon too soon.

We all know you don't post unless the government is paying you.  It seems like you didn't read the "don't take money from government for doing nothing" chapter in the conservative manual.

Shh...that conservative manual also says you shouldn't rely on government for any type of income. :)

There's a LOT of games that are pushing til 2015. I jumped on the next gen console bandwagon too soon.

Ouch...but there are a lot of good stuff coming for sure if you have the patience.  The Steam Machines got postponed into 2015 as well.  I suspect that since the DDR4 memory sticks are coming out to the public next year, that might explain the delay.  I'm so glad I haven't bought the motherboard for the computer I'm going to build just yet.  The experts are saying that the wait time between the PS4 and PS5 will be much shorter than the PS3 and PS4 wait time...I wouldn't be shocked if the PS5 is unveiled before the PS4 is even five years old.  Given the fact that people upgrade their tablets frequently, the question could be asked, why not game consoles as well?  Sensing all of this, that is why I left console gaming behind very recently.

Doom 4 (or the new Doom game) will be revealed at QuakeCon 2014.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6zwOLCBIecQ

The Nvidia Shield 2 which contains the Tegra K1 chip should be out soon.  Being able to stream your PC games anywhere would just be awesome.  The FCC just approved that device and 4GB RAM as well.  Defintely on my radar.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-shield-2-spotted-antutu-tegra-k1-4-gb-ram/76495.html

Going to receive my iPad 2 64GB with AT&T 3G connectivity soon...hopefully wireless gamepads can work with it since it's iOS 7 (I'm not as pumped up for iOS 8).

Archived