Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 9/12/2023 at 7:49 AM, MrBug708 said:

Can they just put literally anything on the table and vote on it, including CURRENT stuff that would still impact all 12 schools while they are still part of the Pac-12. I assume they can't just put a vote today on taking everyone's media revenue effective 9/12/2023 and then allocate it to just two schools.

Everything that is going to happen must happen according to the conference's bylaws. With financial agreements that have already been agreed upon, I'd be shocked if those bylaws would be affected for this current year.

Anything that happens requires unanimous consent, and considering 10 of the conference members are leaving, and 2 are not, there will be SIGNIFICANT differences of opinion in how to allocate/spend resources.  In other words, like Russia and China in the UN Security Council, OSU and WSU may have veto power if this decision holds up.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, MrBug708 said:

Even if they manage to lock everyone else out they don’t have enough votes for a quorum, because the P12 wrote, into their by-laws, that in order to reach a quorum, they need 7 schools.

Right, this is about stopping the non-Pac-10 from distributing funds.  It's not about enacting new policies in favor of ONLY WSU and OSU.

Bug: it is obvious that OSU & WSU are stopping the effort to meet because that would be one to dissolve the conference and all tourney credits would be split 12 ways instead of two ways between OSU & WSU if the P12 remains intact via a reverse merger with the MWC.

Beavs and Cougs deserve all of the Pac's remaining assets and money.  Every cent.  They should hold on for a year as the "Pac-2" (allowed by the NCAA) and then pick up the best of the G-5's in a newly expanded Pac/America conference.  Interesting additions would be SD State, AFA, Tulane, Rice, Navy, Army , Memphis and a couple of other MWC teams.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:11 AM, row Z said:

Would the Cougs want BSU, given that they are so close geographically?

Edit: actually, aftering consulting a map, they are not really that close. Probably not a big deal at all. 

I mean...Eugene is 45 miles from Corvallis.  What's this even mean?

On 9/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, Orange said:

I mean...Eugene is 45 miles from Corvallis.  What's this even mean?

Well, if Boise was super close to Pullman (like Moscow ID for instance), I think the Cougs might be concerned that it could draw neutral fans away from their games (from Spokane for instance).  But that is a non-issue with where Boise is. 

Boulder to Ft. Collins is about the same distance as Eugene to Corvallis but takes 1 1/4 hours due to roads & traffic.  What's interesting is that from Ft. Collins to Laramie (where Wyoming is located), the time is about five minutes shorter but 22 miles longer.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, PAC MAN said:

Boulder to Ft. Collins is about the same distance as Eugene to Corvallis but takes 1 1/4 hours due to roads & traffic.  What's interesting is that from Ft. Collins to Laramie (where Wyoming is located), the time is about five minutes shorter but 22 miles longer.

Nope.  Not interesting. 😏

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, PAC MAN said:

Interesting if my uncle were having this discussion with you after a drunken thanksgiving.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:24 AM, Orange said:

Interesting if my uncle were having this discussion with you after a drunken thanksgiving.

Not sure if you saw the other thread and the part where the B12 offered CU a $2.5 million bribe to leave the P12 in July. It was labeled a "signing bonus". In your world, it's all about proving damages and losses. @KUGRDON mentioned there is a possible Anti-Trust suit coming from this?

Based on timelines, I'm wondering if this will have any teeth? Obviously schools already packed up their moving vans and that won't change.

Thoughts?

On 9/26/2023 at 10:59 AM, utenation said:

Not sure if you saw the other thread and the part where the B12 offered CU a $2.5 million bribe to leave the P12 in July. It was labeled a "signing bonus". In your world, it's all about proving damages and losses. @KUGRDON mentioned there is a possible Anti-Trust suit coming from this?

Based on timelines, I'm wondering if this will have any teeth? Obviously schools already packed up their moving vans and that won't change.

Thoughts?

Only monetary damages will be sought.  No idea of how to analyze the likelihood of success.

I do think WSU/OSU will end up with the PAC 12 assets in the lawsuit that’s already active.

Good ESPN article about whether the PAC survives or not.

The Pac-12 leftovers - What will be Washington State's and Oregon State's ultimate fate? - ESPN

The schools expect to have some sort of clarity in the next month. In the end, the decision figures to be somewhat simple: If the assets outweigh the liabilities, the schools will likely attempt to maintain control and attempt some kind of rebuild. If the liabilities are determined to be too great, then they would likely be forced to walk away.

Preliminary injunction hearing is next month as well.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:19 PM, KUGRDON said:

Only monetary damages will be sought.  No idea of how to analyze the likelihood of success.

I do think WSU/OSU will end up with the PAC 12 assets in the lawsuit that’s already active.

What would make so much sense would be to add WSU and OSU to the Big-12.  They easily have as much or more value as Cincy, UCF, Houston, and BYU.  (Or Cal, for that matter.)  I'd let the two of them stick around for 2024 and take 100% the Pac-12's residual cash, and then after a year add them to the Big-12 at a temporarily reduced share.

• Like 1