ncaa tournament thread

glduck

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, glduck said:

well, i came up with a duke/north carolina final, so shoot me in the fucking face. 

MIDWEST: i have kansas coming out of the midwest because they have a cakewalk up to the elite 8, and while i did find the stones to pick oregon to "upset" louisville, decades of harsh fandom preclude me from taking the ducks over rock, chalk, jayhawk in god damn kansas city. i normally don't like taking kansas far in the dance, but there are a handful of schools i like picking in the ncaa tourney even less, and purdue just happens to be one of them. so this whole region will likely go nuclear on me in round two when tom izzo and sparty knocks kansas off and i'm left sitting there holding my dick.

SOUTH: i'm a pussy, so here's me taking another #1 seed. this is more about playing the odds: good gravy what an easy walk to the regional final carolina has, whereas the bottom of the bracket looks like a messy blood bath. i've got wichita state knocking off kentucky, but ucla/cinci won't be a picnic. cinci can get after it defensively. i'm still taking ucla to the elite 8 before carolina knocks them off, but really, there are four different teams that look capable of meeting carolina there. i want no part of it, i'll take the odds.

WEST: yeah i took arizona. it won't be easy -- really looking forward to that florida state showdown in the S16 -- but i just don't see gonzaga making it to the regional final (i've got west virginia taking them out) and what little pac-12 pride i have is enough to boost the wildcats to the F4. 

EAST: ugh, duke. they trailed by double digits in all four ACC tourney games so i know this is a stupid pick but i love me some jayson tatum and after a loooooong dry spell you just can't argue that duke doesn't bring it in the tourney these days. plus they play garbage until 'nova in the E8. smart money should probably be on 'nova there but i'm not a well man.

so that's duke vs arizona and carolina vs kansas. arizona blows it, carolina beats kansas kinda/sorta easily, then we all wind up forced to play out a jay bilas wet dream. 

note: i'm dumb and often wrong.

You are the best.

Going chalk/blue chip/acc is usually the best choice in these things. Also, understated perhaps is the route one must take. Duke and Arizona, for example, have favorable paths to the Elite 8. The bottom portion of the Midwest and South (sorry Oregon and UCLA) are rough.

My F4 is Duke, Arizona, Oregon, UNC. I'm the least confident about Oregon, but I didn't feel comfortable picking 3 ACC teams into the final. And as a general rule these past few years I don't pick the Big XII- they're 23-26 in the tourney the last 4 years.

UNC over Arizona for the title. Thought about swapping Kentucky with UNC, but their path is just insane- Wichita, UCLA, UNC, Midwest winner, then Zags/Duke/Zona/Nova for the final. I didn't like those odds.

prior to last year, they were one of the game's great choke artists. i have them reaching the E8 because i don't think much of their half of the bracket, but i ultimately picked duke over them hoping nova reverts to form. 

sc's going to complete the comeback and knock off providence. once they figured the friars out they did whatever they wanted to. good work trojans.

i'm hoping the nit games were just a case of martin having one foot out the door (to say nothing of not having bird/rabb) and utah being hot/cold the last month. 

35 fouls in st mary's vs vcu.... IN THE SECOND HALF ALONE. that was the worst basketball game I've ever seen. every possession the last 7 minutes ended at the FT line.

i'm now so turned off by basketball i'm going to go outside and discover nature or some shit.

Archived