ncaa tournament thread

glduck

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/13/2017 at 0:52 PM, All Hail said:

They are taken into account but games towards the end of the season are weighed more heavily than games at the beginning.  This is exactly why Vanderbuilt got into the tournament.  They had 15 losses (a record for any team that got invited), many of them early and to mediocre teams.  However, by the end of the season, they had defeated Florida twice, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia.  Even with their 15 losses and only 19 wins, they received a 9-seed.  The entire season matters, but games in December don't matter nearly as much as games in February or March.  Cal being 4-6 in their last 10 games kept them from being in the tournament despite finishing with the same conference record as USC, playing a more difficult schedule than USC, winning more pac 12 tournament games than USC, and beating USC at USC.  

Or maybe the system is completely flawed, because the ACC was vastly overrated.  As I've been saying the entire time.  Bye bye dook 

9 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Yeah, I'd personally take Jackson over Ball.

I don't know about Jackson -- he is too inconsistent for me.  I would take Swanigan.  That guy has the best PER in the tournament and he can do it all.  Rebound, shoot, pass, defend, the guy is fantastic.  28 double doubles, he is 3 shy of the NCAA all-time record held by David Robinson.  He also averages 3 assists per game, shoots a ridiculous 43% from 3 as a PF, and hits 78% of his free throws.   

2 hours ago, All Hail said:

I don't know about Jackson -- he is too inconsistent for me.  I would take Swanigan.  That guy has the best PER in the tournament and he can do it all.  Rebound, shoot, pass, defend, the guy is fantastic.  28 double doubles, he is 3 shy of the NCAA all-time record held by David Robinson.  He also averages 3 assists per game, shoots a ridiculous 43% from 3 as a PF, and hits 78% of his free throws.   

Swanigan is this year's John Wallace or Sean May.  Great college player who isn't going to be a big factor in the NBA.  As for defending, Burton for Iowa State was abusing Swanigan, who doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with elite athletes.

15 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Lonzo Ball is the best player in college basketball and it isn't close.

I'm not sure about the "not even close" part, but he's the best player I saw all year and I think he'll be the #1 pick even if Boston wins the pick.

27 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Swanigan is this year's John Wallace or Sean May.  Great college player who isn't going to be a big factor in the NBA.  As for defending, Burton for Iowa State was abusing Swanigan, who doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with elite athletes.

Yes, Burton is a quick but pudgy 6'5 guard who was playing forward for Iowa State.  It's hardly a sin for a PF to have difficulty guarding a 6'5 guard who happens to be hitting step-back 3's.   Burton also finished 9/20 so he wasn't that efficient at all.  

I don't disagree that Ball will be the better pro.  

Lost 3 of my sweet 16 and I had Duke in the Final 4 but watching them lose was worth it ruining the east region of my bracket, helps that everyone had either them or Villanova coming out of it.  

outside of Arizona not winning the worst thing that could have happened in this tournament was a Duke-UNC title game, half the college basketball staff over at ESPN must be on suicide watch right now.

Archived