Religion is poison

Orange

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Agree with Quack 12 on the Catholics building the infrastructure for sick moments like that.  This is also a bigger problem than religion alone...let's not forget the criminals that do not follow the law do this as well.  Same for the movies & sports we watch because this happens behind the scenes too often.

Org, I'm sorry about what the Catholics might have done to you in the past but there are many Christian groups out there that do not agree with the teaching of the Catholic Church.  Painting all religions as poison due to the actions of one church is beyond stupid.

One definition of religion on Google: "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance."

If you say you are not part of a religion, you are fooling yourself and you are proof that religions can be poisoned with hate.

I should probably heed Bug's warning, but hey, I like the topic.

23 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Painting all religions as poison due to the actions of one church is beyond stupid.

Actually it isn't stupid at all. Name a faith, and you're likely to find horrifying deeds done in its name. Christianity is probably the worst, historically speaking.

29 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

If you say you are not part of a religion, you are fooling yourself and you are proof that religions can be poisoned with hate.

Aside from the fact that this doesn't make any sense, I can assure you that I am not fooling myself when I say that I'm not a theist. Atheism is not a belief system. I don't "believe" that there is no god, I simply deny that a god exists.

3 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Agree with Quack 12 on the Catholics building the infrastructure for sick moments like that.  This is also a bigger problem than religion alone...let's not forget the criminals that do not follow the law do this as well.  Same for the movies & sports we watch because this happens behind the scenes too often.

Org, I'm sorry about what the Catholics might have done to you in the past but there are many Christian groups out there that do not agree with the teaching of the Catholic Church.  Painting all religions as poison due to the actions of one church is beyond stupid.

One definition of religion on Google: "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance."

The Catholic church did nothing to me.  (Tho the OP was about the Baptist Church, not the Catholic Church.  Color me not surprised in the least you didn't read that.)

I think convincing billions of hordes to believe fairy tales and subscribe to dogma predicated on those fairy tales being real is poisonous, yes.  We should be a fact-based society, not a faith-based society.  

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe fairies live at the bottom of it, too?" - Douglas Adams

No, I'm not religious.  I don't consider anything of "supreme" importance.  

• 7 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, Orange said:

Ain't just catholics anymore, folks:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/southern-baptist-abuse/index.html

380 Southern Baptist leaders and volunteers accused of sexual misconduct

This is what happens when you prohibit normal sexual behavior among your flock.  They become fucking perverts.

What are you constituting as "normal sexual behavior"?  Engaging in acts of adultery?  Having sex at will, with anyone and everyone, anytime you spring a woody?  If that's what you call "normal behavior", then you are the pervert.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:42 PM, Orange said:

No, I'm not religious

I think we all know this without you having to announce it.

I think convincing billions of hordes to believe fairy tales and subscribe to dogma predicated on those fairy tales being real is poisonous, yes.

Fairy tales?  You think that the bible is a bunch of fairy tales?

17 hours ago, HLB said:

What are you constituting as "normal sexual behavior"?  Engaging in acts of adultery?  Having sex at will, with anyone and everyone, anytime you spring a woody?  If that's what you call "normal behavior", then you are the pervert.

if you really don't know what "normal sexual behavior" is, then it's clear the problem is you.

Any 2 non-related (that was for you, Bama) consenting adults engaging in sex is normal, and legal.

And of course the bible is a bunch of fairy tales.  People don't come back to life.  Human beings aren't gods.  Flaming chariots don't fly up to heaven with prophets.  Human beings can't keep the sun in the air and effectively stop the earth from spinning so they can win a battle. 

Unless you're 6 years old, you know this is nonsense.

4 hours ago, Orange said:

if you really don't know what "normal sexual behavior" is, then it's clear the problem is you.

Any 2 non-related (that was for you, Bama) consenting adults engaging in sex is normal, and legal.

And of course the bible is a bunch of fairy tales.  People don't come back to life.  Human beings aren't gods.  Flaming chariots don't fly up to heaven with prophets.  Human beings can't keep the sun in the air and effectively stop the earth from spinning so they can win a battle. 

Unless you're 6 years old, you know this is nonsense.

It's obvious that you've never read - lead alone - studied the Bible.  It's also obvious that you miss the entire theme and point of what the Bible is about.

What the Bible mentions - over and over and over and over - is love.  The word "love" is expressed more than any word in the Bible.  The Bible isn't about "fairy tales", it's about love for fellow man, love they neighbor, love for one's mother and father, love kids, love God and God's love for others.  You're completely missing the point of what the Bible is about.

"Normal sex" - as intended by God and expressed in the Bible - is for a man and a woman who love each other to express their love by being "fruitful", and multiplying.  "Normal sex" - as intended by God and expressed in the Bible - is not for consenting adults to engage in an acts of adultery, be promiscuous, and aim to satisfy their lust just to get their rocks off.

Do you know who wrote the Bible?

4 hours ago, Orange said:

Jalapano asked me, you stupid fuckwit.

Forgive me for not reading every single thing that has been written in this thread.  Whether anyone asked you or not, I think that 99% of those who come in contact with you already know your not religious.  It's the easier path, rahter than to have values and morals that hold one to a more accountable behavior.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Quack 12 said:

I should probably heed Bug's warning, but hey, I like the topic.

Actually it isn't stupid at all. Name a faith, and you're likely to find horrifying deeds done in its name. Christianity is probably the worst, historically speaking.

Aside from the fact that this doesn't make any sense, I can assure you that I am not fooling myself when I say that I'm not a theist. Atheism is not a belief system. I don't "believe" that there is no god, I simply deny that a god exists.

People can make many things their "God" and thus engage in a religion to that God.

For some - it's money.  For others, it's sex.  For some, it's power.

Anything that an individual holds as the most important facet in their life, is the thing that that individual is treating as a God.  And their mission in life is to satisfy that facet becomes a religion towards that element.

You might not think you have a God, but guaranteed, there is something in life that you hold up as the ultimate "thing", and when you do so, that "thing" becomes your God, while your devotion that that "thing" becomes your religion.

The Catholic church did nothing to me.  (Tho the OP was about the Baptist Church, not the Catholic Church.  Color me not surprised in the least you didn't read that.)

I think convincing billions of hordes to believe fairy tales and subscribe to dogma predicated on those fairy tales being real is poisonous, yes.  We should be a fact-based society, not a faith-based society.  

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe fairies live at the bottom of it, too?" - Douglas Adams

No, I'm not religious.  I don't consider anything of "supreme" importance.  

I'm pretty sure that you hold sex as a supreme importance - and for all the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, HLB said:

You might not think you have a God, but guaranteed, there is something in life that you hold up as the ultimate "thing", and when you do so, that "thing" becomes your God,

Well then according to you my god is the love and security of my family, including my gods, er, dogs.

1 hour ago, HLB said:

The word "love" is expressed more than any word in the Bible. 

No it isn't. It's not even in the top ten. http://www.vizwiz.com/2010/02/most-common-bible-words.html

1 hour ago, HLB said:

It's the easier path, rahter than to have values and morals that hold one to a more accountable behavior.

Having values and morals has nothing to do with believing in a god. I don't need the bible to tell me right from wrong. 

9 hours ago, HLB said:

It's obvious that you've never read - lead alone - studied the Bible.  It's also obvious that you miss the entire theme and point of what the Bible is about.

What the Bible mentions - over and over and over and over - is love.  The word "love" is expressed more than any word in the Bible.  The Bible isn't about "fairy tales", it's about love for fellow man, love they neighbor, love for one's mother and father, love kids, love God and God's love for others.  You're completely missing the point of what the Bible is about.

"Normal sex" - as intended by God and expressed in the Bible - is for a man and a woman who love each other to express their love by being "fruitful", and multiplying.  "Normal sex" - as intended by God and expressed in the Bible - is not for consenting adults to engage in an acts of adultery, be promiscuous, and aim to satisfy their lust just to get their rocks off.

Do you know who wrote the Bible?

Which is it? Should I read, study and interpret themes and points of the bible, or should I read/study and follow the expressed written word of the bible. 

Those things conflict regularly in the bible. Should I just use which ever method fits my narrative, like finding a passage about normal sex is not about getting rocks off (note: I couldn't find that passage anywhere...). Because parts of the bible taken as expressed word leaves me confused when I read about camels going through needles and people living in a whale. 

The movie Up is about love. 

Archived