Game of Thrones/TV thread

MrBug708

I've retained full custody and nearly 100% parenting time with my son.  What does that have to do with movies?  It means I never watch them.  But I did catch a few....

Dunkirk.  No war movie has ever given me more hand-sweats than Dunkirk.  That was an exhausting film, in all the best ways.  Tom Hardy is an amazing actor.  His face is almost entirely covered throughout the film, but he still dominates the screen while on it despite this, as we learned he's capable of in Dark Knight Rises.

Get Out shows that comedians can be intellectuals, and in fact they're probably THE intellectuals of our time.  Jordan Peele needs to make a LOT of movies, and be sure he doesn't sexually harass women in the process.  (that tagline goes for all my heroes please)

The John Wick series is so maddeningly ridiculous.  The end of John Wick 2 had me howling with laughter.  It was haltingly, breathtakingly stupid.  But the movie as a whole?  I'm probably going to buy the DVD.  It's that good.  Such is the wonderful dichotomy of the Wick series.  Can't wait for the next corny, awesome, ridiculous, fun-as-hell installment.

I did watch the Lost City of Z until about the last 40 minutes when I finally ran out of steam.  Maybe watching it on my phone and while distracted with my kid hurt its chances with me, but I was just bored.  And I disagree on Hunnam.  He's okay screen candy for the ladies, and he can hold a scene with presence, but I never believe a word he says.

I'll add a few that Glduck missed:

Baby Driver was entertaining as hell.  It's the first time Jon Hamm has been watchable in a movie role.  

It: it's Stranger Things for adults.  Fucking fantastic.  OF COURSE you spin a Metallica riff during a rock fight at a river in an 80s movie.  Fuckin' great.

I plan to rent Wind River and watch Three Billboards as well.  Anyone seen either yet?  Maybe Billboards isn't out yet...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I’d like Punisher a lot more if they’d chose a actor who better embodies what the punisher is suppose to look like.  Frank Castle is supposed to be a bad ass who’s 6’3 230 not some little guy who’s 5’9 170lbs.  

They're just continuing the theme of action tough-guys being midgets in real life (Cruise, Gibson, Stallone, Statham).  But I think Bernthal is a little bit taller than that, right? Either way, the dude looks like he's been in fights all his life, so I have to disagree.  My objection to his casting is that he's just not that great a lead.  He plays a better foil than a hero.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched The Handmaid's Tale last week based on glduck's recommendation.

Really well made, great acting and interesting story. It is really hard to watch parts of it due to the brutal nature of the show, so I think a lot of people will be turned off by it. At first I thought it was a narrative on where the country is headed due to the politics of the past couple of years, then I noticed that the book came out in 1985 during the Reagan administration. Scary how far along the imagined course of the United States turning into Gilead we have come.

I am guessing most on the far right will hate it due to it hitting too close to home, and many on the left won't care for it because much is difficult to watch, so I am a little surprised at how celebrated it was at the Emmy's, but it is really well done.

5 hours ago, azgreg said:

Anything you don't like about it?

I haven't personally had any of the other boxes, but it has been fine. Occasionally have had to re-pair remote, which can be a pain. Remote pretty simple, but can now use voice commands for most everything, and Alexa comes with it if you like that. They recently added Silk browser through Amazon store, the browser is clunky, but at least it is there. Can use other browsers by side loading, which is easy to do. I have Prime anyway, so  nice to be able to get all that content legitimately. Also run Kodi and some other stuff, so can stream pretty much anything. Overall, good value for the price. I have the bigger FireTV box, but I think Firestick will do pretty much everything it does, so probably not worth extra cost.

Punisher is boring me.  I'm only on the third episode.  Does it get better?

Godless is promising.  I'm 1.33 episodes in and fully enjoying it thus far.  

Walking Dead took a turn for the better in its mid-season finale.  We'll see how it cruises to the finish.  I feel like this should be the last season, perhaps with the mysterious helicopter Rick saw a couple episodes back cruising in during the final episode, landing, and declaring an end to the apocalypse.  Like, maybe they found a cure, and NYC is back online and cleared out, and the powers that be are trying to get word out.  Perhaps they see all these lunatics fighting it out with the funny-talking trash people, and the hilltop, and barbed-wire baseball bats and Rick's beard, and they ask "Good GOD, what have you done?!"  Sorta like Lord of the Flies.  That'd be awesome.

• 2 months later...

Latest 2-part Frontline episode on Saudi Arabia and Iran is fascinating, for those ( like me ) who have merely a vague sense of the middle east rivalry between those two countries.

Sunni Muslims (SA) object to the Shia Muslims' (Iran) interpretation of the Koran such that the Sunnis believe any Muslim can have direct access to god.  The Shia believe it must go through a holy man.

Sound familiar?  #AllReligionIsTheSame #ProtestantsVsCatholics

• 2 months later...

We're full-swing back into the spring TV season (such that there are seasons anymore) and I feel compelled to provide a top-5 list of my favorite shows (netflix included).  You will no doubt ignore my list and move onto making yours, if indeed you visit this increasingly sad thread at all:

1. Atlanta: If you're missing this show, you're missing some of the most sublime television of all time.  Bryan Tyree Henry has totally stolen every episode he's in.  They've ceased to be the #1 show on tv in terms of depicting the complexities of race relations, and they've become that and flat-out the best fucking comedy on TV.

2. The Americans: This is may be the only show I've seen since Breaking Bad that has never had a lull season.  They've had this shit on full-throttle from the beginning and this might be the best season yet.  You can really see the implosion of the family coming, and yet you have no real idea how it will happen.  They manage to do all this even with the worst wigs in the history of set design.

3. Fear the Walking Dead: This wouldn't even make my top 20 last year, but the crossover with Lennie was a stroke of genius.  He's the best character on either show, and it's looking like he'll be the main character on Fear the way it's going.  The franchise needed this thanks to Walking Dead turning into a giant turd.

4. Legion: I have absolutely no fucking clue what is going on but I kind of like it...I think.  Sort of the way I felt about Mulholland Drive. 

5.  Westworld: Only one episode into the 2nd season and it's my Sunday main event. 

Honorable mention:

• Wild Wild Country is the most compelling docuseries right now.  Oregon people probably remember the Rajneesh in Antelope, but I had no idea it was this bananas.  Most entertaining 5 or 6 hours of documentary you'll watch all year.
  • Trust (Paul Getty kidnapping).  Somehow it made Brendan Fraser watchable.  But only just so.
  • If you haven't watched The End of the Fucking World, it's worth a look.  Each episode is like 20 minutes, and you'll finish it in one sitting, guaranteed.
  • Barry -- Bill Hader is great, but Stephen Root may be the most underrated actor alive today.  I'm serious.  This guy has been killing it since News Radio and Office Space, and Boardwalk Empire, and god knows what else.  Watch this show, it's only a half-hour.

11 minutes ago, Orange said:

We're full-swing back into the spring TV season (such that there are seasons anymore) and I feel compelled to provide a top-5 list of my favorite shows (netflix included).  You will no doubt ignore my list and move onto making yours, if indeed you visit this increasingly sad thread at all:

1. Atlanta: If you're missing this show, you're missing some of the most sublime television of all time.  Bryan Tyree Henry has totally stolen every episode he's in.  They've ceased to be the #1 show on tv in terms of depicting the complexities of race relations, and they've become that and flat-out the best fucking comedy on TV.

2. The Americans: This is may be the only show I've seen since Breaking Bad that has never had a lull season.  They've had this shit on full-throttle from the beginning and this might be the best season yet.  You can really see the implosion of the family coming, and yet you have no real idea how it will happen.  They manage to do all this even with the worst wigs in the history of set design.

3. Fear the Walking Dead: This wouldn't even make my top 20 last year, but the crossover with Lennie was a stroke of genius.  He's the best character on either show, and it's looking like he'll be the main character on Fear the way it's going.  The franchise needed this thanks to Walking Dead turning into a giant turd.

4. Legion: I have absolutely no fucking clue what is going on but I kind of like it...I think.  Sort of the way I felt about Mulholland Drive. 

5.  Westworld: Only one episode into the 2nd season and it's my Sunday main event. 

Honorable mention:

• Wild Wild Country is the most compelling docuseries right now.  Oregon people probably remember the Rajneesh in Antelope, but I had no idea it was this bananas.  Most entertaining 5 or 6 hours of documentary you'll watch all year.
  • Trust (Paul Getty kidnapping).  Somehow it made Brendan Fraser watchable.  But only just so.
  • If you haven't watched The End of the Fucking World, it's worth a look.  Each episode is like 20 minutes, and you'll finish it in one sitting, guaranteed.
  • Barry -- Bill Hader is great, but Stephen Root may be the most underrated actor alive today.  I'm serious.  This guy has been killing it since News Radio and Office Space, and Boardwalk Empire, and god knows what else.  Watch this show, it's only a half-hour.

My List:

1. The Chi - Org, I'm not sure how you're not watching this show but I know you would love it.  Great great drama about life in an urban Chicago neighborhood.  Intense, uplifting, sad, I promise you I haven't shed a tear while watching no matter what my wife might say.  What does she know anyway. 

2.  Sneaky Pete - Giovanni Ribisi just flat out kills it in this series.  The acting in general is just really good and the writing isn't far behind.  This is a very thoughtful, fresh, and fun show.  

3. Crashing - Pete Holmes is so self-depricating but someone he weaves together comedy and romance in a unique and fun way.  The seemingly endless A-list comedians who make guest appearances on this show is worth the watch even if you don't like the writing -- but you will like it dammit. 

4. Atlanta - I think they've lost some luster from the 1st season but I am admittedly only 3 episodes deep.  

5. Barry - HBO series with Bill Hader as a hit-man who falls in love with acting but is really bad at it.  It's funny, serious, and something you wouldn't quite expect form Bill Hader. 

Honorable Mention

Wild Wild Country - Crazy story but it's long and kind of hard to get through the whole thing.   Sheli is by far the most interesting character.  When she said "tough Titty" I nearly spit out my wine. 

Westworld - I loved season 1 but the opener for season 2 left a lot to be desired.  Is this another Walking Dead series, aka I will lose interest by season 3.  

i’m not watching much of anything at the moment. waiting for the handmaid’s tale, westworld, legion, and atlanta to wrap up their second seasons so i can binge them over a few days. streaming services have WRECKED me on waiting week-to-week for an episode. 

the only shows i watch weekly anymore are comedies (silicon valley and crashing) or see-it-or-have-it-spoiled shows like game of thrones.

why the hell is better call saul S4 not airing? it’s a spring show but it’s only now filming, so we are going to have to wait until the end of 2018 to get our fill. this is another show i watch weekly, come to think of it. what a sad delay. S3 ended on a great cliffhanger.

i did just finish jessica jones S2. it was......... ok. it was no daredevil. or punisher.

Enjoyed Sneaky Pete when it came out, marathoned through it in a few days.

Currently watching Westworld. the Expanse, Billions and the Handmaids tale.

Looking forward to Better Call Saul, Man in the Hightower, Goliath, Fargo and GOT.

13 hours ago, glduck said:

i’m not watching much of anything at the moment. waiting for the handmaid’s tale, westworld, legion, and atlanta to wrap up their second seasons so i can binge them over a few days. streaming services have WRECKED me on waiting week-to-week for an episode. 

the only shows i watch weekly anymore are comedies (silicon valley and crashing) or see-it-or-have-it-spoiled shows like game of thrones.

why the hell is better call saul S4 not airing? it’s a spring show but it’s only now filming, so we are going to have to wait until the end of 2018 to get our fill. this is another show i watch weekly, come to think of it. what a sad delay. S3 ended on a great cliffhanger.

i did just finish jessica jones S2. it was......... ok. it was no daredevil. or punisher.

I am watching Jessica Jones Season 2 now, and I think I hate it.  I can't stand Krystin Ritter.  I get that she's supposed to be the gothy, depressed, take-no-shit anti-hero but it's just fucking relentless and tiring.

Didn't know that about better call saul.  Fuck!  It'd easily be 2 or 3 on my list and compete for #1 if it was on.

Is Luke Cage any good?  That actor has all the charisma of a doorstop in JJ.

15 hours ago, All Hail said:

My List:

1. The Chi - Org, I'm not sure how you're not watching this show but I know you would love it.  Great great drama about life in an urban Chicago neighborhood.  Intense, uplifting, sad, I promise you I haven't shed a tear while watching no matter what my wife might say.  What does she know anyway. 

2.  Sneaky Pete - Giovanni Ribisi just flat out kills it in this series.  The acting in general is just really good and the writing isn't far behind.  This is a very thoughtful, fresh, and fun show.  

3. Crashing - Pete Holmes is so self-depricating but someone he weaves together comedy and romance in a unique and fun way.  The seemingly endless A-list comedians who make guest appearances on this show is worth the watch even if you don't like the writing -- but you will like it dammit. 

4. Atlanta - I think they've lost some luster from the 1st season but I am admittedly only 3 episodes deep.  

5. Barry - HBO series with Bill Hader as a hit-man who falls in love with acting but is really bad at it.  It's funny, serious, and something you wouldn't quite expect form Bill Hader. 

Honorable Mention

Wild Wild Country - Crazy story but it's long and kind of hard to get through the whole thing.   Sheli is by far the most interesting character.  When she said "tough Titty" I nearly spit out my wine. 

Westworld - I loved season 1 but the opener for season 2 left a lot to be desired.  Is this another Walking Dead series, aka I will lose interest by season 3.  

I'll have to check out the Chi, thanks.  

I've watched maybe 4 episodes of Sneaky Pete and it suffers from a lack of Bryan Cranston in every scene.  I do love the "grandma" (she's amazing in The Americans and she was legendary in Justified) even if she's barely old enough to be a teenage mom to Ribisi in real life. My major problem with the show is all the serendipitous coincidences that help Pete keep the con going.

Archived