Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

Rebholz told the donors in the message viewed by The Times that the search committee started with a list of more than 60 candidates that included some of the biggest names in coaching: Calipari, ******ns, Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Tony Bennett.

Enlisting Bob Myers, UCLA alumnus and Golden State Warriors general manager, to make calls on the school’s behalf made no difference; only Calipari, Rebholz wrote, showed any interest among the home-run candidates and allowed UCLA officials, including athletic director Dan Guerrero, to meet with him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miles Norris elects to transfer, which sucks as much as it is confusing. He played more and more as the season went on and he was going to get big minutes next year, possibly/probably even a starting spot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oregon has just three returning scholarship players as Kenny Wooten has now indicated he will remain in the draft and go pro.

That leaves them just with Will Richardson, Francis Okoro and Peyton Pritchard (assuming he withdraws from the draft) as their only returnees. They add a good recruiting class, but just four deep (including a highly rated JC transfer) with only one high school player figuring to be an immediate impact type.

They’ve added one sit-out transfer so far this off-season, but given how little depth they now have and how many available scholarships they have (at least five), figure Nike and Altman will get creative over the summer and add some late re-classifications from 2020 and/or international players (and more sit-out transfers). Either way though, they’ll be a brand new team and likely down from where they were a year ago.

Meanwhile, Washington has re-emerged as the leader for Jaden McDaniels, giving Washington a chance to break out next season despite heavy turnover as well.

Ducks are fuuuuucked. Gotta wonder what's going on with Bailey and Norris leaving even with the 3 early entries. If they wanted more PT, um, hello? They won't even be able to run a 5 on 5 practice. If it's not that then why the exodus? You don't normally see a ton of EEs and a ton of transfers at the same time. This is the ongoing and only knock on Altman. He just can't keep a roster together so far. It makes me wonder if there's some unseen(to us) writing on the wall when it comes to all the $tuff going around right now in NCAA BB. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Wilner’s power rankings:

I think OSU is low. I don’t see the Pac improving drastically next year (incrementally, sure) and having Tinkle and Thompson back is huge. They should be very tough at Gill and in a conference where so many teams are lumped together talent-wise OSU will benefit from Tinkle being the best player on the court *most* nights.

Oregon still only has six players, so that’s... neat. There’s a shooter from New Mexico and a forward from UNLV in the grad transfer market I know we’re hot after, but so are a lot of other teams, too. The grad transfer market is fierce these days. The New Mexico kid was high school teammates w/ Pritchard, so hopefully that helps.

It’s gonna be hard for me to hate the Huskies next year. I was at my store today and there was a tall as hell kid Getting a Slurpee. I apologized and asked him if you mind me asking how tall he was he said 7’4”.

I told him he was the tallest man I’ve stood next to since Sven Nader and James Donaldson.  Of course he’d never heard of Sven or James.  I told him Sven was Bill Walton’s backup at Ucla and the only man to lead the ABA and NBA in rebounding for a season.  He said he knew Bill Walton as he was a commentator for his team and he would ask him about Sven.  I asked what team he played for and he said he was a Husky.  I said oh fuck, if you had said you were a zag I could just ignore you and now I got to hate you. He laughed, I asked him his name. Riley Sorn.  

He was with some other kids some of whom I think played for the Huskies as well.  I didn’t ask all their names but they pointed to one and said he was the next Kobe.  I asked, “why does he want to rape someone.”  A lot of bantering followed and we had some fun. I gave them free drinks a free pizza and a couple of hotdogs. At the end I told him it’s going to be hard to hate the Huskies this year because they were such good kids and wished them luck.

Don is playing chess while we’re all playing checkers. Now I have to turn him in for improper benefits, which he knew a good upstanding citizen like me would do. Hope that pizza was worth it Huskies, welcome to NCAA hell.

• 1 month later...

Archived