Seen any good movies lately?

Orange

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that there is an overwhelming sense of attraction for someone like Selena Gomez, but I honestly would much rather watch Margot Robbie explaining to me the most mundane thing in the world, than watching Selena Gomez for longer than 5 seconds. Though of course, this opinion is completely subject to change depending on how/what she does in the upcoming Neighbors 2 movie. 

But seriously, that bathtub scene with Margot....yikes.

I had to use the Internet to research whatever Margot was explaining. For some reason I just couldn't absorb what she was saying.

Late to the party, but I finally caught Deadpool.  That's the most I've been entertained in a theater in a VERY long time.  Hilarious, unique, and profane.

On the other end of the brain spectrum, I finally rented Spotlight.  It's interesting to me that it won best picture.  I was fully engaged, and I loved it, but it also seemed like a reboot of All the President's Men.  I guess go with what works...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Hardcore Henry last night and would give it a B-. It was interesting in its exclusive use of single POV camera shots and reminded one of playing a video game in that respect, i.e., being in the position of one of the combatants. On the negative side it was gratuitously violent which I don't enjoy but some obviously do. As for the plot it was somewhat interesting but seemed a bit contrived when it finally unfolded. My nephew who does not share my tendency to recoil from violence in film was also somewhat lukewarm in his assessment of the movie. He could only manage that it was better than Bad Grandpa and Antman as praise. If you're a fan of action flicks it's probably worth seeing but don't expect greatness.

Went on a Redbox binge this weekend:

The Night Before: This is the xmas movie with Joe Gordon Leavitt and Seth Rogan. As I typically do with Seth Rogan movies, I got high as shit for this one.  Consequently I don't remember much except Rogan spending most of the movie taking way too many drugs and acting high throughout it.  I was glad I rented it, and even more glad I didn't shell out 11 bucks at a theater for it.

Spectre: For the first time in watching a Bond movie, I agreed with Bond's superiors.  WTF does he think he's doing blowing up a block in Mexico City without official authorization?  And all they did was bench him?  He should be put up for war crimes!  Apart from that, it was kind of a blur of aerial shots of beautiful European cities and hand-to-hand combat, like usual.  Did I mention I was high for this one as well?

****** Jobs:  The best of the bunch.  Danny Boyle knows how to get to the essence of a story.  We all crave reconciliation, familial love, above all, even a successful product lunch.  Damn, Jobs was an unbelievable prick.

i'm ok with this. he's a pretty solid director, a hell of a lot better than zach snyder. so it'll be nice getting another voice in the DC cinemaverse.

Big-time this.  

The dude has directed a Best Picture winner, and multiple critical and commercial successes.  You don't need to "blow" anyone after that.

And I haven't seen Dawn of Justice, but from what I've heard people weren't all that unhappy with Affleck as Batman.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm stoked to see the Jungle Book.

maxresdefault.jpg

Took the kids to see it last night, and enjoyed it. My 5 yo is still singing King Louie song. But there was a few things I wasn't a fan of in the movie, like whoever they cast to be the voice of Beulah, but that's probably because it was so much diffrent than the voice we are all use to. It was almost like Star Wars bringing back Vader, but having Gary Sinice as the voice. But overall very entertaining.

Archived