Game of Thrones/TV thread

MrBug708

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

I bet in the book there is a way to slow or stop the spread of the rock or whatever skin thing Jorah has. Kind of the same way they did with Shireen.

Or, Sam will study and find a way.  I like that they're adding in this wrinkle of a learned booksmith perhaps finding ways to save everyone.  Who knew there were other ways to serve humanity aside from slashing or burning people to death?  Great comment on human history in general.  Sam might be the one character in the show I would most like to hang with.

46 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Not a single person is left defending dragonstone?   Hmmm

Stannis was pretty much a cult figure so it was join or die pretty much. A case could be made why someone wasn't opportunistic and take it over but stannis made it seem like ruling there was a curse. It was the traditional home for the heir to the iron throne, but Cersei wasn't about to send her kids there 

I get why Stannis abandoned it but it seems like at the very least, you wouldn't want to let the Targaryen usurper to be able to just waltz into their family castle without even a small fight. 

Euron Greyjoy could have at least taken it & presented it to Cercei for the symbolism alone.

Dragonstone was really more of a military installation than a center of local government and the surrounding areas like Winterfell was. It's an island, it didn't raise food and livestock. It would be tricky to live there without the infrastructure of a military. 

It's a little trickier to me why the Lannisters didn't want to hold it down, since it was apparently very easy to hold from defenders without a lot of soldiers, and it was the obvious place for any invasion by sea to start. But, I'm content with the Lannisters just being in disarray at this point and not thinking they have the ships or soldiers to spare.

Agree with all you've said.  Interesting what this says about how the books handle it ....

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonstone_(castle)

Before Stannis sails to the Wall, he appoints Ser Rolland Storm as the castellan of Dragonstone. Stannis takes most of his troops, leaving a small garrison at Dragonstone.

In the fourth novel, Cersei orders Paxter Redwyne to transport 2,000 soldiers to conquer Dragonstone, which Stannis has left poorly garrisoned. He intends to take the castle bloodlessly by either starving the defenders out or creating a breach in the walls through mining and forcing the defenders to surrender. Ser Loras Tyrell estimates it will take at least half a year to starve Dragonstone into submission. He asks Cersei for the command, promising to take the castle within two weeks. Cersei agrees delightedly: knowing how rash Loras is, she expects him to get killed. Pycelle objects for the very same reason, but his protests fall on deaf ears.

Dragonstone is taken, but at great cost, due to Loras's rashness: about one thousand soldiers are killed, most of them loyal to Tommen, and the best and bravest knights and young lords. Loras, the first to invade the castle, is fatally injured by arrows, mace and boiling oil. By the point the books reached, he is still lying near death.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah that fucker just won't die, will he? he'll probably be the last one left alive and wander into king's landing on a whim and sit himself on the iron throne.

as detailed and drawn out as certain things can be in this series (the white walkers have presumably been walking towards the wall for seven seasons now) it's almost jarring when this show takes shortcuts and speeds things up. in the span of, like, two episodes the evil Greyjoy uncle built a masterclass fleet, sailed to the bottom of Westeros, and waged a vicious naval war against his niece. during the battle he kills the sand snakes, who were only on the ship because of the diplomatic relations Varys established with Dorne in the S6 finale, a whopping three episodes back.

If I'm Arya, I'm getting ready to experience serious deja vu, hopeful for a family reunion only to be sorely disappointed. Jon Snow is gone (to visit a now-under-serious-threat Dany) and what's remaining of her family is under the thumb of Little Finger and the knights of the veil.  Which Stark dies next?

Where the fuck is Bran?  No one sent a raven from the wall to winterfell.

Where the fuck is Rickon?

the only positive from this meh-pisode was the appearance of an actual dire wolf.  

We need less Greyjoy, more wolf!

32 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

the only positive from this meh-pisode was the appearance of an actual dire wolf.  

Hey now, Tyrion talked a little in this one, at your request....

3 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Didn't he die before the battle of the bastards?

Archived