Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

Sad day, regardless of what happens. I really loved my school being in this conference, playing regional schools in great locales and associating with elite academic Universities. It is too bad that it is about the money and not the athletics or students. Will miss playing all of our conference mates.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2023 at 11:47 AM, Mano said:

Really wouldn't make any sense to try to lowball incoming members when the escalator clause already in the Big 12 contract. Anything possible at this point, but I don't see it.

Probably a little sweat it out moment.  Though I believe I read somewhere that McMurphy a few days ago said that their contract with Fox/ESPN calls for ESPN to pay full share for 4 schools and Fox only 2 which I guess could make some sense if Fox wanted to be petty about Michael Crow/ASU throwing out that last minute roadblock in their plan.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, clpp01 said:

Probably a little sweat it out moment.  Though I believe I read somewhere that McMurphy a few days ago said that their contract with Fox/ESPN calls for ESPN to pay full share for 4 schools and Fox only 2 which I guess could make some sense if Fox wanted to be petty about Michael Crow/ASU throwing out that last minute roadblock in their plan.

Reports later were that Fox had also agreed to pay for 4. I have no inside info, but trying to stick it to incoming members for no reason seems silly. This is a big business, and incoming Pac schools would be good for the Big 12 and not cost current members a dime, just as the Big 12 is a lifeline to the Pac schools.

On 8/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, clpp01 said:

This.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, Mano said:

Sad day, regardless of what happens. I really loved my school being in this conference, playing regional schools in great locales and associating with elite academic Universities. It is too bad that it is about the money and not the athletics or students. Will miss playing all of our conference mates.

I agree, Mano. It is a sad day. I wish we could have kept conference together, or created a west coast pod within the B1G.

For what its worth, Utah added a ton to the Pac12 in my opinion, in terms of football performance, excellent fan base and stadium, and integrating well with the conference. I hope Utah finds a good landing spot. I will be rooting for the Utes regardless. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:16 PM, mysfit said:

Unreal.

Unraveling 

Unbelievable 

Unfortunate 

Unmade

Unrecognizable 

It's depressing how the PAC just came unglued. In the end, it's all about the money. Greed, so much destruction from greed. Nothing noble or kind about it.

Absolutely.  The pac had a ton of missteps along the way, but ultimately this is ESPN and Fox creating leagues.  It is only about viewers.  The very fabric of college football is eroding.  It’s depressing when you realize what has been lost.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, Mano said:

Reports later were that Fox had also agreed to pay for 4. I have no inside info, but trying to stick it to incoming members for no reason seems silly. This is a big business, and incoming Pac schools would be good for the Big 12 and not cost current members a dime, just as the Big 12 is a lifeline to the Pac schools.

From what I've heard, anything after 2 for Fox would have to be approved by Fox.  So it's not a hard stop.  Bob Thompson Former CEO of Fox Sports said this the other day.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:51 PM, Mano said:

On 8/4/2023 at 2:38 PM, row Z said:

I agree, Mano. It is a sad day. I wish we could have kept conference together, or created a west coast pod within the B1G.

For what its worth, Utah added a ton to the Pac12 in my opinion, in terms of football performance, excellent fan base and stadium, and integrating well with the conference. I hope Utah finds a good landing spot. I will be rooting for the Utes regardless. 

Yep. I love this conference. Utah did well here. I will miss some great road trip locations. Husky Stadium and Seattle for sure. Eugene. Even Pullman and Corvallis were fun.