2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 9/26/2023 at 10:29 AM, glduck said:

I actually have a soft spot for the man, once being an impressionable young kid who loved watching his highlights on SportsCenter. I remember having his action figure and for a brief time even being an Atlanta Falcon fan. He’s always been Prime Time to me, so I don’t mind extending that to Coach Prime.

I’m a Bo Jackson man myself. 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, Buff_Fan said:

This is the bad of everything being available via social media.  Players talk shit.  When you get your ass kicked everyone sees it and writes/posts about it.  

I am not sure what the rest of the point is.

I think the point is that when you talk shit and can't back it up, you should expect to be called out on it, even if you or your father are famous.

I'm just an observer, and we can go back and forth about this, but the bottom line is that Deion Sanders has elevated the level of interest in west coast football to a level it hasn't seen in like forever.  We can call it hype, and it is, and we may or may not like him, but it also is what drives the sport, the media, and the money markets.  Every Pac-12 school benefits from that.  Eyeballs not only = media cash, they also open the wallets of donors, and not just for Colorado.  Every school that Prime faces stands to benefit from the exposure.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I'm just an observer, and we can go back and forth about this, but the bottom line is that Deion Sanders has elevated the level of interest in west coast football to a level it hasn't seen in like forever.  We can call it hype, and it is, and we may or may not like him, but it also is what drives the sport, the media, and the money markets.  Every Pac-12 school benefits from that.  Eyeballs not only = media cash, they also open the wallets of donors, and not just for Colorado.  Every school that Prime faces stands to benefit from the exposure.

Aren’t media dollars already baked into the TV contract that ends in 2024? I don’t think schools get more money this year because of CU TV ratings so far in 4 games. 

The time to improve and help get more media dollars has passed for CU. They’ve held down the bottom of the conference for 12 years. Too little, too late. The P12 is dead. CU walked away and took B12 bribes on their way out. 

Utah also doesn’t need Sanders to open Utah donor wallets and pack our stadium. We already do that on our own and well before “Prime” showed up. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:11 PM, utenation said:

Aren’t media dollars already baked into the TV contract that ends in 2024? I don’t think schools get more money this year because of CU TV ratings so far in 4 games. 

The time to improve and help get more media dollars has passed for CU. They’ve held down the bottom of the conference for 12 years. Too little, too late. The P12 is dead. CU walked away and took B12 bribes on their way out. 

Utah also doesn’t need Sanders to open Utah donor wallets and pack our stadium. We already do that on our own and way before “Prime” showed up. 

You have a way of missing the point.  From a non-aligned view, your comments are becoming irrelevant, with some unexplained need to make a case.  Over and over again. 

You have a choice.  You can continue to beat the same drum, or you can use your intelligence, which is pretty clear that you have, and step back and see the bigger picture.  Here are a few things to think about.  Media values go way beyond the current Big-12 media deal; African American viewership is skyrocketing for targeted Pac-12 games (we know why,) which is great and benefits every school in the conference; every media payout is a "bribe," or we wouldn't have had USC and UCLA jumping to start this ball down the hill; and the final collapse of the Pac-12 wasn't caused by Colorado, which actually didn't matter, it was caused by the front office of the B1G deciding to grab Oregon and Washington at a discounted rate, which blew up the about-to-survive Pac-9.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 3:43 PM, Mano said:

I think the point is that when you talk shit and can't back it up, you should expect to be called out on it, even if you or your father are famous.

I don’t completely disagree.  He has been dragged and deservedly so.  I just don’t think, outside of the exposure, this is unique to CU.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, EastCoastFan said:

You have a way of missing the point.  From a non-aligned view, your comments are becoming irrelevant, with some unexplained need to make a case.  Over and over again. 

You have a choice.  You can continue to beat the same drum, or you can use your intelligence, which is pretty clear that you have, and step back and see the bigger picture.  Here are a few things to think about.  Media values go way beyond the current Big-12 media deal; African American viewership is skyrocketing for targeted Pac-12 games (we know why,) which is great and benefits every school in the conference; every media payout is a "bribe," or we wouldn't have had USC and UCLA jumping to start this ball down the hill; and the final collapse of the Pac-12 wasn't caused by Colorado, which actually didn't matter, it was caused by the front office of the B1G deciding to grab Oregon and Washington at a discounted rate, which blew up the about-to-survive Pac-9.

So you can’t show me how a program like Utah will make more money this year because of Sanders.  I didn’t think you could.  Nobody is getting paid more because of CU, except CU. Merch sales, tickets, maybe new donors or sponsorships.  Established T25 P5 programs don’t need help promoting their sports. 

Utah football made $76 million in revenue last year.  It will be more this year and none of that will because of Sanders. 

I have no doubt that CU has improved their own bottom line. It’s too bad we didn’t see this performance in 2022 because we probably could have got a better TV contract. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, Buff_Fan said:

I don’t completely disagree.  He has been dragged and deservedly so.  I just don’t think, outside of the exposure, this is unique to CU.

I have never heard Utah's head coach call others out before the game or make it about himself, and I don't think he would tolerate his players doing so.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:32 PM, Mano said:

I have never heard Utah's head coach call others out before the game or make it about himself, and I don't think he would tolerate his players doing so.

Nor do we allow or train our players to go fist fight opposing coaches. 

But that is apparently normal and common behavior in college football.

Looks like this part of fall camp was taken serious based on what we’ve seen from CU players the last 2 games. 

On 9/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, EastCoastFan said:

It has been good for CU since every home game is sold out at this point.

Student applications would go up and more students could go to said college.  CU out of state tuition is almost $60k per year.  About 17 more such students would mean a cool million for the school.

It just adds up.

Average Home Attendance through 4 games:

UW: 66,570

USC: 64,513

CU: 53,191

Oregon: 52,803

Utah: 52,698

ASU: 47,807

AZ: 46,170

UCLA: 41,204

Cal: 40,475

OSU: 35,659

Stanford: 30,947

WSU: 29,910

Top half looks good.  Surprised that ASU has played all 4 games at home so far. That will be a heavy road back end.

Utah vs Oregon State.

In Kyle's weekly press conference, it was nothing but respect for Jonathan Smith and OSU. He said there are so many similarities with both programs. Culture, toughness, mind set etc. Oregon State has established themselves as a top P12 program IMO.

We are supposed to have 8-10 starters back this week but I've been bitten by this now for 4 games, so I'm reluctant to have hope. I've also been saying all year, the current make up for Utah offensively will not cut the mustard against the better teams of the P12. Our luck just may have run out this game.  

Right now, I think OSU wins by the spread of 3. I'd like to think with a fullish team of starters, we can snag this win but that will be tough. Good news is, we have a bye after this game.