Adrian Peterson is a piece of shit

Orange

I am not arguing that it is ok to hit your wife or beat your children and your post unfairly states that I gloss over anything with regard to Peterson.  I stated above that I think he is a piece of shit.

I am stating that it is my preference for employers to wait until there has been a conviction to take action.  I tend to defend civil liberties.  Every one is entitled to a position though.

In both cases, the behavior is not in dispute. Rice admitted to hitting his girlfriend and knocking her out, from the link AP admits to beating his child with a stick and leaving the described injuries. Whether the behavior constitues a crime may be in dispute, but the NFL can send a message that such behavior is not tolerated in their league. There really is no need for criminal conviction for the NFL to take action.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, in neither case was I glossing over what Rice or Peterson did.

I am uncomfortable with employers determining what behavior disqualifies one from employment short of a finding that the act was criminal.  I think it may provide a scalp for the masses but could end up causing more injustice than it solves.  I am uncomfortable with a "moral majority" determining who gets fired for what and what constitutes sufficient proof.

I think it may do considerably more damage to a child to repeatedly and heatedly argue in front of a child.  I think it may do more damage to a child to fail to pay child support.  I think it may do more damage to a child to deny another parent access/visitation to a child.  Should the NFL fire folks who do the above?  Who's moral code gets enforced? 

I am uncomfortable with employers determining what behavior disqualifies one from employment short of a finding that the act was criminal.  I think it may provide a scalp for the masses but could end up causing more injustice than it solves.  I am uncomfortable with a "moral majority" determining who gets fired for what and what constitutes sufficient proof.

Again, as Manu pointed out, this happens in the private sector all the time.  You obsess with union contracts and public employees but they are the exceptions to the general rule.   Neither of these sectors work in the very impressionable and image conscious entertainment industry. This isn't anything new, people have been getting fired from the private sector for something as simple as making enemies with the wrong person or looking at the CFO's wife the wrong way.

In the entertainment industry, the morality of the public has long determined who gets jobs and who does not.  

All the time may be stretching the facts.  A representative from NOW indicated this weekend that about 90% of employers have no policy on domestic abuse and we know that very, very few of those cited and released for domestic violence lose their jobs.  I would not condemn the NFL for taking either action prior to a conviction.  I merely stated that I think that taking such action absent a criminal conviction is unwise, and that it is unwise of the public to demand such actions no matter who the accused is.  I further stated that I think people demonstrate their stupidity by complaining more about the NFL than about politicians, judges and prosecuting attorneys.

All the time may be stretching the facts.  A representative from NOW indicated this weekend that about 90% of employers have no policy on domestic abuse and we know that very, very few of those cited and released for domestic violence lose their jobs.  I would not condemn the NFL for taking either action prior to a conviction.  I merely stated that I think that taking such action absent a criminal conviction is unwise, and that it is unwise of the public to demand such actions no matter who the accused is.  I further stated that I think people demonstrate their stupidity by complaining more about the NFL than about politicians, judges and prosecuting attorneys.

This has been and always will be the case.  

Private employers rarely wait for a conviction to take action unless that worker is an executive.  Even then, the CEO of Centerplate was just relieved of his duties because he was caught beating a dog (not his wife, a dog) in an elevator.  Where was his due process? I suppose you aren't comfortable with this but that's just the way things are and have been for some time. 

Never thought that it would be that high.

The government agency I work for had a sex, drugs, and $$$ scandal about five or six years ago and the ringmasters of that scheme just simply retired to avoid prosecution for their actions while working for the government.  Some of those people who should have been fired for their part in that scandal still works for the government to this very day.  I'm not so sure if my agency or the entire US government even has a policy related to domestic violence.  Never heard anything once in my eight years as a government employee about a DV policy.  The hardworking people including myself weren't too happy about that.

America has a serious DV problem and isn't doing enough to reduce that problem.

It is not that simple for a small employer to continue to pay an employee who is not working.  On the other hand, if an employer mistakenly assumes guilt and cuts off pay, the very child the employer was seeking to protect may be forced out of its home and go without food while the "courts sort it out."  Even in the NFL, a team that wrongly suspends a player may end up paying millions of dollars while the courts sort it out.

The judicial system was created for a reason, to provide protection to both victims and the accused.  It should take more than moral outrage, misplaced or not, to throw that out the window.

Very good point.  I'd like to be innocent until proven guility.

It's odd that Peterson is still playing this Sunday despite being indicted by a grand jury and there are photos of AD's son's leg that will really put big time fuel on the flames that are already burning.

AD should be suspended with pay until the courts sort this out and that is exactly what should have been done with Ray Rice.

I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. 

It's good to know he believes in something. I understand he's a Christian, too.

How many children does he have, and by how many different women? Seriously, does anyone know? According to Wiki, in 2008 he had two children, including a 4-year-old daughter, and other articles I've read mention that he's accused of "beating one of his sons." So he must have at least three living children. It was almost a year ago that AP's 2-year-old son - whom he had never met - died of abuse.

So this is what "success as a man" looks like?

I have already posted statutes that say in some jurisdictions an employer may not fire an employee for either their arrest or conviction record.  So its not that clear cut.

Moreover, union employees have protections built into their contracts that effectively rule out the "employee at will" provision.

Ironically, I am the conservative and I am the one standing up for the civil liberties of those accused but not convicted of crimes.  Moreover, what constitutes child abuse is not that clear cut under the law, "leaving marks" is not necessarily criminal.  The following is informative, if not authritative:

I don't think an employer should be allowed to terminate an employee because the employee struck a child and left red marks on a child.  Such marks are not, in and of themselves, sufficient to demonstrate child abuse.

How can you claim that outright?  What is "injury"?  In Colorado we defended numerous people who were brought into court on felony child abuse charges merely for marks.  No discolored bruising, not lacerations.  Red marks.

I think it may do considerably more damage to a child to repeatedly and heatedly argue in front of a child.  I think it may do more damage to a child to fail to pay child support.  I think it may do more damage to a child to deny another parent access/visitation to a child.  Should the NFL fire folks who do the above?  Who's moral code gets enforced? 

WTF?

Whose moral code?

Not really sure.  But if their moral code prohibits child abusers from playing football, I'm signing up.  This isn't as complicated, legally, as you're making it.  He's the symbol of the Vikings franchise, and one of the few symbols of the NFL.  His actions and his own remarks ABOUT his actions are a black mark on the league.

Nothing in the union contract with the players could reasonably be perceived to prevent the NFL from axing him.

It's good to know he believes in something. I understand he's a Christian, too.

How many children does he have, and by how many different women? Seriously, does anyone know? According to Wiki, in 2008 he had two children, including a 4-year-old daughter, and other articles I've read mention that he's accused of "beating one of his sons." So he must have at least three living children. It was almost a year ago that AP's 2-year-old son - whom he had never met - died of abuse.

So this is what "success as a man" looks like?

Yes, and he never fucking shuts up about it. His twitter is ablaze with his ridiculous scripture quotes.  

I love how much Christians cite their "christianity" as a driving force behind beating their children.  I stopped counting how many mis-attributions to the bible I heard regarding "spare the rod spoil the child."  Even if it was in there, it's great that these neanderthals think we should take child-rearing advice from the same "god" who thought it'd be funny to threaten a 12-year-old with death at his father's hand before saying "just kidding!"

But but but

he's not a child abuser

If this 2nd case is legit I hope the vikings get hammered in the court of public opinion for reinstating him. Big effing mistake as I said BEFORE this 2nd allegation came out

NFL needs to treat DV seriously, proactively and make an example of these guys and the jock culture

Funny, I think the courts should act proactively and make an example of men and women who commit domestic abuse against spouses, partners and children by putting them in jail for long periods of time.  I think parents should take this as a teachable moment and have discussions with their children about whether or not athletes and other entertainers are and should be role models.  I think parents should talk to their children about using violence, threats, bullying and hateful disparaging words like bitch and fag to get the upper hand in disputes.  If those things happen, we really don't have much to worry about from the NFL or any other employer.

Glad to see that there are some Viking fans that are showing their disapproval:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.

1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.

2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, a--holes.

Archived