2016 MLB thread

MrBug708

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN experts slot Darvish as comeback player of the year.  He went undrafted in one of my fantasy leagues and I picked him up just post draft.

His value will be capped by the fact that he won't begin pitching until late-May at best and the 'year after TJ surgery' rule that affects the performance of pretty much all pitchers who have dealt with the injury.  

That being said, there's no way a talent like that should go undrafted unless you're playing against preschoolers.  He's worth a mid-round pick depending on how many DL stashes your league provides.  If your league provides only one DL spot, he's worth drafting in the mid-to-late rounds.  

it's been less than 13 months since TJ surgery; my rule of thumb is to never trust a pitcher until he's pitched a full season upon return. he's worth a pick-up on the waiver wire obviously because it didn't cost you anything and there are always exceptions to every rule, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gave very pedestrian results in 2016. you're "back" in action, but it seems like guys often need a year to get back in action. 

i'm also terrible at fantasy baseball. 

PLAYING FOR HISTORY TODAY, BOYS!

an m's win will tie them with the boston beaneaters (actual name!) of 1887-96 for longest opening day win streak in mlb history (10).

now if only the ensuing 161 games went accordingly...

Archived