What Will Revive the Conference

Pac12Fan

While it's difficult to compare Pac-12 teams because some have scheduled out farther forward than others, you can see some patterns of who schedules strongly.  Here, by school, are the number of future Power Five football opponents each Pac-12 school currently has locked down:

Stanford with 17: (ND-7, NW-1, KSU-1, Vandy-4, TCU-2, BC-2)

Colorado with 16: (Neb-4, A&M-2, TCU-2, Minn-2, GeoT-2, NW-2, KSU-2)

UCLA with 12: (Okla-2, Rut-2, LSU-2, Mich-2, Geo-2, Wisc-2)

Arizona with 10: (TTech-2, MissSt-2, KSU-2, Neb-2, VaTech-2)

Southern California with 7: (ND-6, Tex-1)

Oregon with 7:  (Aub-1, OhioSt-2, TTech-2, Bay-2)

Arizona State with 6: (MichSt-2, OklaSt-2, LSU-2)

California with 6: (NCar-1, OleMiss-1, TCU-2, Aub-2)

Washington with 5: (Aub-1, Mich-2, OhioSt-2)

Oregon State with 5: (OhioSt-1, OklaSt-2, Pur-2)

Washington State with 4: (Wisc-2, KSU-2)

Utah with 2: (Bay-2)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, PapaG said:

I assume he meant more about Portland because of so many OS and UO alumni that live here.  Eugene can't stand alone, obviously, but Corvallis being closer to Portland geographically isn't important in terms of Portland's TV market.  Lose OS and Wazzu, and the Pac 12 loses tens of thousands of eyeballs that aren't going to be made up by people watching Pac 12 football in Kansas City or Oklahoma City.

I never said it is.  And jaladipshit was referring to Eugene being WITHIN a metro area.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:29 PM, Downthefield said:

What I was attempting to say was that if a team like Colorado can schedule two P5 teams a year, any Pac-12 school ought to be able to.  Even Oregon State with the schools I listed.  And if Stanford can schedule three P5 schools, teams like Oregon shouldn't be "bulking up" with things like their "notable" 2018 out-of-conference schedule, with the killer lineup of Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.  A slate like that will rivet fans of college football from coast to coast to watching the Ducks.....

It might be possible to create this schedule (I doubt it), but it's not beneficial.  We play more conference games than any other conference already.  Why would we ENSURE that the Pac-12 never has a playoff team?  Just for our own sense of personal pride as we fall further behind the nation?

34 minutes ago, Orange said:

It might be possible to create this schedule (I doubt it), but it's not beneficial.  We play more conference games than any other conference already.  Why would we ENSURE that the Pac-12 never has a playoff team?  Just for our own sense of personal pride as we fall further behind the nation?

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the Big Ten and the Big XII also played nine in-conference games, just like the Pac-12, and both also have a conference championship.  What makes you think we play more than "any other conference already"?

10 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the Big Ten and the Big XII also played nine in-conference games, just like the Pac-12, and both also have a conference championship.  What makes you think we play more than "any other conference already"?

Well we used to.  I'm not sure what the other conferences do now.  

And no other conference has this absurd idea of playing at least 2 or 3 P5 teams.  It's a ridiculous idea, likely unworkable, and won't happen.  Geography and common sense work against it.  

My point isn't that Pac-12 teams should play two P5 teams out of conference.  It's just that those who argue we shouldn't play any at all ought to look around and see that some even have the elbows to play two.  My feeling is that every Pac-12 school should play at least one P5 team out of conference, and the only other games scheduled should be G5's.  As for getting seven home games, which some schools want, one way to do it is a two-for-one arrangement with the G-5 opponents.

46 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

My point isn't that Pac-12 teams should play two P5 teams out of conference.  It's just that those who argue we shouldn't play any at all ought to look around and see that some even have the elbows to play two.  My feeling is that every Pac-12 school should play at least one P5 team out of conference, and the only other games scheduled should be G5's.  As for getting seven home games, which some schools want, one way to do it is a two-for-one arrangement with the G-5 opponents.

The SEC teams have an 8 game conference schedule and generally play 1 P5 team in their OOC, so 9 P5 games, which is what the Pac does in conference alone. When a Pac team plays 1 P5 school in OOC, they are playing more than SEC teams like Alabama and Georgia. Playing 2 P5 schools in OOC is suicide when it comes to playoffs. Playing fewer P5 teams seems to be working out ok for the SEC.

47 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

i believe that's the way the majority of fans see it, although i don't think most people have a serious problem with FCS schools. some do, obviously. i've never thought there was a huge difference between low-end G5 schools and FCS programs. i've always been a proponent of scheduling one regional FCS school just to help fund their athletic programs for a calendar year. 

On 1/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, KUGRDON said:

I don’t know how long it’s been since a P5 team came to Pullman.  When scheduled as part of a home and home, they simply buy out of the trip to Pullman.  (Last P5 in Pullman, Illinois 1998).

Well, they've also had home dates with Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Colorado since then, but they chose to play those games in Seattle.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:49 PM, potrerosf said:

There are more enough American, CUSA, MAC, Mountain West and Sunbelt teams looking for games with Power 5 teams to schedule this way.  All of the Group of 5 play eight conference games, so they intend to schedule at least two Power 5 games every year and there are 65  teams in both the "Power 5" and the "Group of 5".

Again, you're missing the fact that the majority of those teams are at least half a continent away from the Pac-12, and most G-5 teams DO NOT want to play two P-5 opponents every season.

Oregon has a game scheduled in 2021 with Stony Brook. Stony Brook! Do you think they would have scheduled Stony Brook if they could have gotten Marshall or ECU? A few years ago Central Michigan was scheduled to visit Eugene, but they cancelled because they got offered a game at the Big House. Generally, the Pac-12 isn't going to win the G-5 scheduling sweepstakes. 

If they ever go to a 6 team playoff with all the P5 conference champs automatically in, playing a tougher schedule can make sense. Until then, the Pac is screwing themselves with the 9 game conference schedule + tough OOC games with ND and others. The SEC regularly games the system ( in addition to having a couple of dynastic programs at the top of the league ) to make themselves appear even better than they are.

Most Pac-12 schools seems to be scheduling with one P5 out-of-conference team each year, and that makes sense.  The saddest of cases is Utah, the next five years fully scheduled, and no P5 opponents, and BYU, the excuse, cycling down the drain, becoming a shell of their former selves.

1 hour ago, Downthefield said:

Most Pac-12 schools seems to be scheduling with one P5 out-of-conference team each year, and that makes sense.  The saddest of cases is Utah, the next five years fully scheduled, and no P5 opponents, and BYU, the excuse, cycling down the drain, becoming a shell of their former selves.

In other words, they're about the only Pac-12 school that has a schedule comparably easy to that of all SEC schools.

30 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

We tried to shitcan the byu series. Our legislature stepped in and threatened funding-not to the athletics department, mind you, but to the general fund. Utah can be a truly fucked up place sometimes. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8274313

Archived