What Will Revive the Conference

Pac12Fan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Downthefield said:

Most Pac-12 schools seems to be scheduling with one P5 out-of-conference team each year, and that makes sense.  The saddest of cases is Utah, the next five years fully scheduled, and no P5 opponents, and BYU, the excuse, cycling down the drain, becoming a shell of their former selves.

I belong to the Crimson Club. We asked this question as to why very few p5 out of conference games. After we beat up on Michigan 3 games in a row, we are having challenges getting a 1 for 1 game. The athletic director mentioned we are looking at  a home and home with Indiana and Texas Tech that should be announced this year. 

On 1/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, All Hail said:

The answer is simple but would involve Larry Scott swallowing his own pride and admitting he was wrong.  We need to partner with a real fucking distributor.  Whether that's Fox, or preferably ESPN, we need one of those media engines to increase our branding and distribute our fucking product and they need to be part owners so that they have a real financial incentive to do so.  Not partnering with a distributor was the stupidest business decision in conference history.  It was a huge gamble -- when a gamble wasn't needed - and it has completely fucked us.  Now the economic separation between conferences is laughable.  When Mississippi State and Rutgers make 10 million more than USC per season, we have fucked ourselves.  Can you imagine a future where Northwestern is outbidding USC for a football coach?  That future is coming real soon. 

Of all the single silver bullets to the revenue problem in the Pac-12, this is the one with the most zing in my book.

It's all about branding.  Hell, let's get netflix to stream our games.  You laugh, but fuck it.  Think outside the box.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, Downthefield said:

Here's one plan being tossed around in SEC country for adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, with KU and Texas headed to the B1G:

Link:  https://www.seccountry.com/sec/16-team-sec-expansion-proposal-conference-playoff-college-football-oklahoma

I can see that happening...SEC is a good fit for both schools.  KU & UT to the B1G...that wouldn't move the needle like the SEC.

Then who would the PAC add?

i would argue texas to the B1G would “move the needle” far more than the okie schools moving to the sec. unless you’re saying that UT going to the B1G isn’t the splash move that UT moving to the sec would have been. i can’t tell by your wording.

if that would go down, i think we’d have to take a good hard look at texas tech, the only worthwhile school left in what is now a defunct big 12 (apologies to kansas state and iowa state).

i would be very intrigued by tcu, but i can’t imagine the pac would approve.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Scscsc89 said:

Playoff payoff in first 4 years, per Wilner...

Big 12: $31 million (per school)
Big Ten: $27.3 million
Pac-12: $26.1 million
SEC: $25.3 million
ACC: $22.9 million

I wonder how this looks now because this was clearly written before this years finals.  Pac 12 falls to 5th for sure. 

What would work for the Pac-12 would be adding Texas, KU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State, making "pod 4" of a 16 team league.  There'd also be a mountain pod, socal pod, and NW pod.  TV would be covered from the Mississippi west and they'd be central Time zone coverage.  There'd be a four pod tournament at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Downthefield said:

What would work for the Pac-12 would be adding Texas, KU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State, making "pod 4" of a 16 team league.  There'd also be a mountain pod, socal pod, and NW pod.  TV would be covered from the Mississippi west and they'd be central Time zone coverage.  There'd be a four pod tournament at the end of the season.

Do you pick Iowa State because its in a different state and AAU? 

I think it would have a better chance of happening from the Big 12 schools if they added a group of 6 and included Texas Tech & Oklahoma St. also.  I think it might be hard to get Texas to come if there were no other Texas schools and I'm not sure about OU leaving Oklahoma St. 

• 2 months later...

Once the P12N starts losing money, perhaps the inevitable sale will occur.  Fox is swimming in cash after Disney bought a lot of their assets.  Perhaps the BTN steps in and buys out the P12N...not going to speculate further what could happen in that case.

I think a simple fix could be the PAC and Big 12 could form a joint conference network, probably with some encouragement to schedule non-conference games between the two leagues. 

It would provide an region of the country the PAC 12 needs some exposure and adds content for the network.   With a conference network the Big 12 may add two schools in the future possibly providing an extra game for the network each week.  

The only real good additions for the PAC are Big 12 schools and they already do better financially than the PAC and it keeps the travel budget down for both leagues.    It seems like something to me the leagues could partner on and benefit both leagues. 

48 minutes ago, Win5002 said:

I think a simple fix could be the PAC and Big 12 could form a joint conference network, probably with some encouragement to schedule non-conference games between the two leagues. 

It would provide an region of the country the PAC 12 needs some exposure and adds content for the network.   With a conference network the Big 12 may add two schools in the future possibly providing an extra game for the network each week.  

The only real good additions for the PAC are Big 12 schools and they already do better financially than the PAC and it keeps the travel budget down for both leagues.    It seems like something to me the leagues could partner on and benefit both leagues. 

Honestly I'm beginning to think that the P12N goes away and schools would have their own third tier deals like the Big 12 does while the tier one and two deals are equal.  That might be a requirement to keep USC & UCLA in this conference and I hope USC & UCLA pushes that.

I have experienced both sides of the issue with the Big 8/12 and Pac-12.  At this point, I'd probably prefer the individual third tier deals and ditch the P12N.  Yes I know it would benefit the California schools and what really went wrong with the Big 12 was that there was this bonus money that would pay individual schools for appearing on nationwide television networks such as abc, Fox, ESPN, or FS1 and it favored the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M due to their large fanbases.  With streaming video these days, that bonus is no longer needed but it'd be worth watching during negotiations.

As a joint network, there's no way that happens since the Pac-12 and Big 12 did work something out like some kind of partnership and then CU left the Big 12.  Such partnerships could be viewed as precursors to defections.  Not only the LA schools would concern me but also both Arizona schools since they were once rumored to be future candidates and after being a Pac-12 fan since 2011, I have reason to believe those rumors were true to a degree.

And the NYT had an article about the size of the fanbases: https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-pacific12-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-big12-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-acc-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sec-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-bigten-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-ind-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-bigeast-blog480.png

Those are old numbers in need of updating.  It shouldn't come as a shock that the SEC money went through the roof when it added 3M fans from aTm and Missouri.  Those numbers would support a Pac-12/Big 12 network but the P12 should just grab those four Big 12 South schools and be done with it.  That would be 6M fans and the media money would follow.  Seeing those numbers made me feel better about where Kansas, KSU, and Iowa State would end up (AAC).  If the Big 12 schools sans Texas does form a Big 12 Network, it will make Pac-12 expansion much more difficult to achieve.

Face it...USC and UCLA have the same number of fans each as Nebraska does despite metro Omaha barely registering 1M residents.  The TV execs see those numbers and set the budgets accordingly.  What is very obvious is that the Pac-12 really needs to grow its fanbase in the state of California.  Since I'm not a California resident, I can't really see how the Pac-12 is advertised in California but I can say that the Big 12 did a good job in Texas for sure.

50 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Honestly I'm beginning to think that the P12N goes away and schools would have their own third tier deals like the Big 12 does while the tier one and two deals are equal.  That might be a requirement to keep USC & UCLA in this conference and I hope USC & UCLA pushes that.

I have experienced both sides of the issue with the Big 8/12 and Pac-12.  At this point, I'd probably prefer the individual third tier deals and ditch the P12N.  Yes I know it would benefit the California schools and what really went wrong with the Big 12 was that there was this bonus money that would pay individual schools for appearing on nationwide television networks such as abc, Fox, ESPN, or FS1 and it favored the likes of Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M due to their large fanbases.  With streaming video these days, that bonus is no longer needed but it'd be worth watching during negotiations.

As a joint network, there's no way that happens since the Pac-12 and Big 12 did work something out like some kind of partnership and then CU left the Big 12.  Such partnerships could be viewed as precursors to defections.  Not only the LA schools would concern me but also both Arizona schools since they were once rumored to be future candidates and after being a Pac-12 fan since 2011, I have reason to believe those rumors were true to a degree.

And the NYT had an article about the size of the fanbases: https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-pacific12-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-big12-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-acc-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sec-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-bigten-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-ind-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-bigeast-blog480.png

Those are old numbers in need of updating.  It shouldn't come as a shock that the SEC money went through the roof when it added 3M fans from aTm and Missouri.  Those numbers would support a Pac-12/Big 12 network but the P12 should just grab those four Big 12 South schools and be done with it.  That would be 6M fans and the media money would follow.  Seeing those numbers made me feel better about where Kansas, KSU, and Iowa State would end up (AAC).  If the Big 12 schools sans Texas does form a Big 12 Network, it will make Pac-12 expansion much more difficult to achieve.

Face it...USC and UCLA have the same number of fans each as Nebraska does despite metro Omaha barely registering 1M residents.  The TV execs see those numbers and set the budgets accordingly.  What is very obvious is that the Pac-12 really needs to grow its fanbase in the state of California.  Since I'm not a California resident, I can't really see how the Pac-12 is advertised in California but I can say that the Big 12 did a good job in Texas for sure.

I believe there is VERY LITTLE well actually no chance that Texas, OU and 4 schools go to the PAC like they were going to in 2010.  The games have less exposure due to west coast, lack of a fan intensity, and why would UT & OU give up political power to go to a Ieague making less revenue and less fan support?  It makes no sense.  I don't think the leagues will combine but I believe the best chance would be a merger and the PAC would have to cut some schools too.   Those fan base numbers are old but probably give indication of the lower fan intensity throughout the PAC.  I can tell you being from Iowa, that Iowa St. has certainly grown their fan base.  Last year they averaged 57-58K for football.  The Big 12 doesn't have that issue with fan intensity for the most part. 

On 1/16/2018 at 7:30 AM, Scscsc89 said:

I don’t see the SEC taking Oklahoma State.  With the leverage they have, they don’t need to acquiesce to “package deals”.

if they took Oklahoma, I think they’d go after Texas or poaching someone from the ACC.

I believe SEC bylaws allow schools to veto adding schools from the same state so would A&M veto UT to the SEC? 

I also think UT would prefer a conference with more academic prestige, I still believe that if the Big 12 crumbles UT will look west. 

Archived