2019 MLB

KUGRDON

Tomorrow is very likely Felix Hernandez’s final start as a Seattle Mariner.

Seattle doesn’t have a Top 10 all-time list; they are a historically shitty franchise who don’t have ten great players to list. You get to slightly-above-average talent like Buhner or Alvin Davis or Jamie Moyer REAL quick. We’ve long had a Top 5:

Junior, Edgar, Unit, Ichiro, and A-Rod. That’s it. That’s the list.

But when Felix hangs them up tomorrow —even if he accepts a Spring Training invite, or signs elsewhere — he makes it a Top 6. I’ve put up with some truly, gobsmackingly bad baseball these last two decades, but he was always a bright spot every 5th day. A damn shame this organization couldn’t once allow him to make a postseason start.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The A’s did what they do best, which is go belly-up in the playoffs.  Manea is just not a clutch pitcher at all and the decision to go with him over Fiers was a poor one.

Speaking of playoff rotations, kudos to Dave Roberts for recognizing that Kershaw is not a #1 starter in the playoffs.  Pitching Buehler as his #1 will give him the chance to return for a game 5 if need be and you don’t want Kershaw in an elimination game.  

Oakland receives a bunch of (deserved) attention for its small market success, but my goodness -- Tampa might be the small market success story of the last decade, no? This year they're what, $20 million behind the 29th highest payroll? The amount of wins they've piled up since the Devil Ray days is staggering considering their payroll. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:25 AM, glduck said:

Oakland receives a bunch of (deserved) attention for its small market success, but my goodness -- Tampa might be the small market success story of the last decade, no? This year they're what, $20 million behind the 29th highest payroll? The amount of wins they've piled up since the Devil Ray days is staggering considering their payroll. 

The astros top 2 starters make as much as that entire team almost.  Kevin Cash is a fantastic manager as well.  

After a dull regular season — practically no division races and half the teams in each league didn’t even pretend to compete — the baseball gods have looked down upon us and blessed us with three game 5’s over the next 48 hours.

Seriously, if anyone wants to pay me to be a fan of their hated rival, I am clearly very effective. I fell in love with the Dodgers in 1988. I was born the year after the Blazers won in 77.  And, well, there’s Oregon State.  

It’s time to monetize this skill.   

Archived