Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

You should be a big fan of Alabama (beat Kentucky twice),  And of Oregon and Stanford (both beat Arizona twice).  And of Colorado (beat USC three times, and something like eight straight).

I figured it was a given that I was talking about in the tournament.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2021 at 1:39 PM, Mano said:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2021/03/27/university-utah-hires/

In other news, the Ute's hire Utah State's coach Craig Smith.

I'm not super excited about the hire, but hope it works out.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/college-basketball-coaching-changes-tracker-grades/

Guy who wrote above article likes the hire a lot more than me. Almost embarrassingly positive assessment:

Utah – Craig Smith

Grade: A+

Larry Krystkowiak rebuilt the Utes into a stable program in annual contention for Pac-12 titles and NCAA Tournament bids but never got over the hump. He went 45-42 (26-29, Pac-12) over the last three years.

A disciple of Tim Miles, Craig Smith is a former lower-division coach who rebuilt South Dakota and went 74-23 in three seasons at Utah State. He’s done well identifying lower-ranked recruits and built one of the nation’s best defensive teams. Rumored to be a potential candidate Minnesota, the 48-year-old Minnesota native signed an extension at Utah State just four weeks ago.

Prediction: Smith will win a Pac-12 Championship and reach (at least) the Elite Eight within five years at Utah. This will prove to be one of the best hires in college basketball this decade.

4 minutes ago, EastCoastFan said:

I'm gathering the champagne cork hasn't been popped by Ute fans here.  What are the main concerns?  Given the lack of interest on the part of the two NBA assistants, who would have been a better hire?

For me, I’m in wait and see mode. I think it’s a good hire. Just being conservative. 

6 minutes ago, EastCoastFan said:

I'm gathering the champagne cork hasn't been popped by Ute fans here.  What are the main concerns?  Given the lack of interest on the part of the two NBA assistants, who would have been a better hire?

After two horrible hires and one that didn't end well Ute fans are a bit gun shy.

Archived