Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Not to disrespect your post or UCLA’s basketball program, but if you take out John Wooden UCLA becomes pretty ordinary. That’s how amazing he was.

Taking out Wooden’s numbers it’s:

34,20,9,6 and 1. I’d still call that impressive. I bet that’s better than 85-90% of the country. 

But you can’t exclude Wooden from this. Unless you also want to exclude Adolph Rupp with Kentucky and Dean Smith. 

5 hours ago, utenation said:

Taking out Wooden’s numbers it’s:

34,20,9,6 and 1. I’d still call that impressive. I bet that’s better than 85-90% of the country. 

But you can’t exclude Wooden from this. Unless you also want to exclude Adolph Rupp with Kentucky and Dean Smith. 

As I said, I was just emphasizing how important wooden was.

55 minutes ago, Orange said:

Wayne Tinkle will match Ralph Miller for tourney success with one more win.

He already has if you're inclined to believe the bullshit NCAA vacating the three tourney years in the early 80s.

It's cool that OSU fans have good things to cheer about.  Football isn't quite there yet. but I think it will come.

I love that OSU has a major chip on their shoulder from the disrespect they've had all year. It's carried them very far this season. They have a very legit shot at the E8, Loyola is very fundamentally sound but so is OSU..  Tinkle seems to be an excellent X's and O's guy too. 

IMO, we get two teams into the E8. USC and OSU..  Oregon/USC is a pretty even pick but I think the Mobley brothers are match up problems for any team and they are playing well. Coaching goes to Dana I think. Pretty hard choice honestly.

12 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Not to disrespect your post or UCLA’s basketball program, but if you take out John Wooden UCLA becomes pretty ordinary. That’s how amazing he was.

To be fair, the whole point of mentioning "taking out John Wooden" is to disrespect UCLA. But I get it, emphasizing that Wooden was a big deal in the sport is one of those underground takes everyone forgets. Just grateful you didn't find time to mention Sam Gilbert, the free haircut guy haha

10 hours ago, utenation said:

I would also say UCLA has had the least amount of coaching stability the last 10-12 years of any of the elite programs I mentioned. 

Crazy enough, if UCLA's coaching performance over the past 40 years had happened anywhere else (maybe not Harrick), the leash would have been much shorter. Most other programs had competent AD's who didn't make shitty hires

46 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

To be fair, the whole point of mentioning "taking out John Wooden" is to disrespect UCLA. But I get it, emphasizing that Wooden was a big deal in the sport is one of those underground takes everyone forgets. Just grateful you didn't find time to mention Sam Gilbert, the free haircut guy haha

Really didn’t mean to start an argument or to disrespect UCLA. Disrespecting UCLA would counter the argument that Wooden is great because he “created” Ucla.

The OP cited some amazing numbers posted by Ucla.  Those numbers become incredibly amazing when you remember most were posted by one man in a relatively short period of time.

Moreover the greatness Ucla has achieved post Wooden is also in good measure attributable to Wooden.  Every coach they have hired and every player they have recruited came in part because Wooden created a blue blood even if they had never heard of Wooden.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

It's cool that OSU fans have good things to cheer about.  Football isn't quite there yet. but I think it will come.

I love that OSU has a major chip on their shoulder from the disrespect they've had all year. It's carried them very far this season. They have a very legit shot at the E8, Loyola is very fundamentally sound but so is OSU..  Tinkle seems to be an excellent X's and O's guy too. 

IMO, we get two teams into the E8. USC and OSU..  Oregon/USC is a pretty even pick but I think the Mobley brothers are match up problems for any team and they are playing well. Coaching goes to Dana I think. Pretty hard choice honestly.

I think USC is rightly favored by a few... they really kicked the shit out of us last month. You’re spot-on w/ the Mobley Bros, heck one of them was even out for our game (not Evan) and we struggled with their length. Huge coaching edge to Altman so we’ll see what he can cook up...

23 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Really didn’t mean to start an argument or to disrespect UCLA. Disrespecting UCLA would counter the argument that Wooden is great because he “created” Ucla.

The OP cited some amazing numbers posted by Ucla.  Those numbers become incredibly amazing when you remember most were posted by one man in a relatively short period of time.

I don't think it's an argument. Just fans being fans with talking points.

Well, we are now splitting hairs. I agree 100% on John's impact. But you said UCLA's numbers are pretty ordinary with out him. I posted the numbers without him and they're pretty impressive. Like I said, probably better than 85-90% of the country.  The numbers don't lie.

You could also throw UConn in this conversation. Not quite as good overall as the others I mentioned, but they have 4 titles.

22 minutes ago, glduck said:

I think USC is rightly favored by a few... they really kicked the shit out of us last month. You’re spot-on w/ the Mobley Bros, heck one of them was even out for our game (not Evan) and we struggled with their length. Huge coaching edge to Altman so we’ll see what he can cook up...

USC is favored by 2.5 right now. I think we have a good game coming. Like dtd said, it's just too bad the seeding put these two together in GU's bracket. 

3 hours ago, utenation said:

I didn't watch USC play, but I watched Oregon, and they looked damn good.  I'd probably pick them.  But given the state of my bracket, that means you're probably right.

Loyola looks amazing.  I'm happy only Sister Jean will be in the crowd, because we seem to play better in an empty arena.  Can't wait to break that old lady's heart.

53 minutes ago, Orange said:

I didn't watch USC play, but I watched Oregon, and they looked damn good.  I'd probably pick them.  But given the state of my bracket, that means you're probably right.

Loyola looks amazing.  I'm happy only Sister Jean will be in the crowd, because we seem to play better in an empty arena.  Can't wait to break that old lady's heart.

USC absolutely crushed Drake and made Kansas look like a Jr high team.  They are playing well.

3 minutes ago, azgreg said:

I would not be surprised if they beat Oregon and Gonzaga by double digits.

Here’s where I’m banking on Dana to find a way to keep it close.  Very good tourney coach. USC has had some very sloppy losses this year.  But they are certainly playing top shelf right now.

Gonzaga is the easy pick as a 1 seed but have they really been tested the second half of the season? The WCC  is average at best. But Few might be the best coach in CBB.  I’m not bold enough to pick them to lose yet.

1 minute ago, utenation said:

Here’s where I’m banking on Dana to find a way to keep it close.  Very good tourney coach. USC has had some very sloppy losses this year.  But they are certainly playing top shelf right now.

Gonzaga is the easy pick as a 1 seed but have they really been tested the second half of the season? The WCC  is average at best. But Few might be the best coach in CBB.  I’m not bold enough to pick them to lose yet.

They were tested once late in the season by BYU. USC will be the longest most athletic team they've faced. 

Archived