UCLA @ Stanford

azgreg

1 hour ago, Utefan1211 said:

Our league is so strange. Stanford takes it to Washington and can’t handle the worst UCLA team in 30 years? 

It's not that strange that Stanford played this bad.  How many teams in the confrence can win with their 3rd string QB?  UO doesn't even have a healthy 3rd string QB.

3rd string QB (who clearly looks like a bust considering he came in as a former 4-star)

3 true freshmen starting on the O-line (all of whom were on track to redshirt before the start of the season)

Numerous injuries across the defense (particularly the back seven, which featured numerous walk-ons playing the majority of snaps tonight)

And still... I expected more. This was an uncompetitive game from the get-go. Jack West in unfortunately not a Power 5 quarterback at the present moment and may never be. The defense looked listless on the first two drives but kept us in the game until they wore down in the 4th quarter. They're dealing with a bunch of injuries but they at least gave us a chance.

Call me crazy but I think we would have won this game if Mills was healthy enough to play tonight. He looked incredibly sharp against Oregon State and Washington and would have most assuredly performed better against one of the worst pass defenses in the FBS than the 15/32 for 143 yards that West managed (48 of which came on the final drive in garbage time).  

Nevertheless, this is a banged up and broken Stanford team that is going to have to rely on the exemplary quarterback play of Mills to carry the day if it still plans on going bowling (which I'd say is a LONG shot at this point). It's not that I'm giving up on Costello quite yet but he's been a shell of his former self following the injuries he sustained this season (head injury vs. Nortwestern & sprained thumb vs. Oregon). Not to mention, Mills has thrown more dimes in his last two starts than Costello has in his entire career at Stanford. The kid is really impressive and clearly represents the future of the program.

But with 7 of our 13 scholarship offensive linemen out for the season already, that future is very much on hold right now. I give Mills enough credit (even behind a patchwork offensive line comprised of mostly 18 year olds) to guide us to a few more victories before we hit the offseason. But nothing that will move the dial like our win over #15 Washington. For one magical night, I remembered what it felt like to be proud of your team again. Unfortunately, I fully expect that to go down as the highlight of the season with a few more wins against so-so teams to give us enough separation from the cellar dwellers but not enough to go bowling. What an utterly forgettable season this is turning out to be... and I thought last year was bad.

7 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Damn, didn’t think DTR was playing. Would have picked UCLA. 

7 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Nobody did until like 2 hours prior to kickoff

@Orange thinks that injuries to players, and who's playing and who's not playing, are made days in advance, for betting purposes.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, Orange said:

Dude, I didn't respond once in this thread and you're still on my tip.

2021224?id=f9sa-1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,

ME - obsessed with you? 

For every "one" comment I make, I have about 12 replies from you.  You can not, not reply, to anything I say.  I think you're obsessed with me.

Archived