This Silly Board

Pac12Fan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be giving the board over to the the owner of the MWC board. It's better this way since nobody really cares to talk about sports and I'm tired of losing money. I have no desire to run a political board and apparently that was what this board has turned into.

It's the off season.  My and others interest will grow as the football season approaches.  This will be an intriguing season.  Will the Ducks rise as some predict?  Is Chip really past his prime?  Can the Pirate win no matter who is on his team?  What about the new SEC coach in Boulder?  Are the Utes as good as advertised?

I'm a football and hoops fan. I get my politics elsewhere.  When I'm talking sports I'd rather not know if the social, economic, environmental, or ethical stances of those in the conversation agree with my positions.

This board will be fine come August.  What's there to discuss now?  UConn's folly?  The recruiting dead period?  The Pac-12s dismal current recruiting ranking?

Take a breath, enjoy July, and then take the gloves off and talk sports.  Without the personal sniping, but with solid arguments on teams and talent.

19 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Please confine sports talk to the sports board.

4 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Board is under new management...let's see how this rolls. 

Can somebody give me the cliff notes version of what happened here?

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Can somebody give me the cliff notes version of what happened here?

There was a politics board that was removed and it didn't go over well with some of the members.  It was removed due to personal attacks and also it seems to have affected the advertising revenue for this board.  It was pretty clear on the forum description what you were going to get if you posted on the politics board so you had a choice: ignore the politics board or grow some thick skin and enter that forum.  The caveat was that it didn't leak into the other forums.  The neutrality of the moderators on that forum were in question and there was pretty much no moderation all those years until in the last year where one member was banned for a short time for personal attacks on one poster.  

Now on to my views:

This is a sports board and it appears that the politics was really taking over this board even if the politics were kept there or it was that some members became too toxic for newcomers.  The removal of the politics board was a necessary move to keep this a sports forum and I support that decision 100%.  I did suggest the politics board back then because it was bumping out the non-political threads out of the first page in the non-sports forum...that obviously didn't work.  There are plenty of message boards to take your politics to out there.  I still think it was a good idea at the time but it was something that got out of hand over time; and I hope this leads to a few more hardcore fans per school making an appearance here and actually staying.

There was one poster who posted a bunch of memes and it was hilarious to see the hardcore politicians of this board complain despite the caveat being there but I think the politics on this board needs to be put on ice for awhile so this board can show that it's a sports board again.  Again, there are a bunch of place to discuss politics other than this board.

I have been accused of being too much of a CU homer and despite my pleas to crank up the homerism on this board, those posters probably will keep attacking me anyway.

Bug split the board into

sports (football & everything else) / basketball / expansion 

non-sports

politics

He then said the politics board would be un-moderated so anyone entering there should have thick skin.  However, he moderated it anyway, somewhat unevenly, which caused confusion and hurt feelings. Then about a month ago, he got rid of it altogether & said any political content in the non-sports forum would be removed.

11 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Bug split the board into

non-sports

politics

He then said the politics board would be un-moderated so anyone entering there should have thick skin.  However, he moderated it anyway, somewhat unevenly, which caused confusion and hurt feelings. Then about a month ago, he got rid of it altogether & said any political content in the non-sports forum would be removed.

There's actually more to it than that.  The problem that I saw was that the extreme hostility generated in the politics forum leached over into the sports forum.  It wasn't possible to keep the ugliness locked up in one forum, so it showed up elsewhere.  Also, the combative attitude, including constant belittling others, increasingly migrated and became a daily occurance in the sports forum.  Over on the politics forum, it became a place of repeated arguments, getting lower and lower in content, including racist and personal comments.  Conceptually it made sense to divide the two forums; in practice, however, a number of posters couldn't take off their war helmets when they posted on the sports forum.

1)  Most personal animosity on here actually started on the ESPN & other sports forums, pre-dating having a politics forum by well over a decade.

2)  If unacceptable behavior bled onto the sports forum, it should’ve been moderated & dealt with since that is apparently a moderated forum.  Since it wasn’t, it must’ve tacitly been seen as acceptable.

Blaming the existence of the politics forum itself is misplaced.

2 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

1)  Most personal animosity on here actually started on the ESPN & other sports forums, pre-dating having a politics forum by well over a decade.

2)  If unacceptable behavior bled onto the sports forum, it should’ve been moderated & dealt with since that is apparently a moderated forum.  Since it wasn’t, it must’ve tacitly been seen as acceptable.

Blaming the existence of the politics forum itself is misplaced.

14 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Bug split the board into

non-sports

politics

I second both of these descriptions regarding what happened.

For the sake of the board I would recommend one, all-purpose thread. It'd probably make it easier for people to not have to scroll through a bunch of nonsense one-post meme threads just to find the TV/Movie/Music threads. We can contain our insanity and those who choose not to partake won't see anything but a single generic Politics thread title.

2 minutes ago, glduck said:

For the sake of the board I would recommend one, all-purpose thread. It'd probably make it easier for people to not have to scroll through a bunch of nonsense one-post meme threads just to find the TV/Movie/Music threads. We can contain our insanity and those who choose not to partake won't see anything but a single generic Politics thread title.

Would you like me to recreate the politics subforum?  I can’t restore the previous activity but I can create one going forward. 

I’d like to see a politics sub-forum.

I’m also wondering if there’s a way to strengthen the “ignore user” function so that not only do you not see their posts, but you also do not see the new threads they start.

probably not — I can live with the current functionality but it can’t hurt to ask.

6 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I’d like to see a politics sub-forum.

I’m also wondering if there’s a way to strengthen the “ignore user” function so that not only do you not see their posts, but you also do not see the new threads they start.

probably not — I can live with the current functionality but it can’t hurt to ask.

Unfortunately not.  There’s also not a way to block when somebody you don’t have on ignore quotes somebody you do have on ignore.  

And there’s 1 vote for a subforum.  If the majority of you want it I’ll create it.  

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Unfortunately not.  There’s also not a way to block when somebody you don’t have on ignore quotes somebody you do have on ignore.  

And there’s 1 vote for a subforum.  If the majority of you want it I’ll create it.  

Do it.

Archived