Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

SIAP:

Not a lot of new building this Summer for the UofU's Athletic Department, but Rice Eccles Stadium is getting about $13.5M in improvements split between $8.6M for a new  89' x 118' scoreboard mounted on an independent structure about 50' behind the South End zone complex... At 10,502 square feet that puts Utah in the upper reaches of NCAA stadiums in terms of scoreboard size (insert joke here).

Supposedly that "decoupling" will also make it easier/cheaper to make changes to the South Endzone in the future. The "SEZ" is the oldest part of the stadium and house the locker rooms, band storage, and some other support functions. That part of the Stadium is generally considered "below Pac-12 standards" and  It has been on the Fans wishlist for demo and replacement/expansion for a while, but it seems down the list of facilities improvements that the  Utah Administration has targeted.

The rest of the cash (about $4.9M) has gone into a "distributed sound system" which not only provide much better (and much needed) quality of sound within the stadium but also have less "leakage" of sound out of the Stadium, I guess that is an attempt to be better neighbors to those off-campus residential districts. (Que the questions about if you buy a house 5 blocks from a University Stadium, what do you expect?).

Link for details 

Her is a gif of recent (last week) testing.

QdP5il.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Keg's roof structure couldn't support a normal hanging scoreboard without some serious structural work until the lightweight nature of HDTVs came around.  Perhaps that will be addressed when the roof has to eventually be replaced (arena is about as old as me at 38) if CU chooses not to build a new arena.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

http://www.buffzone.com/basketball/ci_31804006/cu-buffs-nearing-removal-coors-name-from-events

looks like I won't be able to call it The Keg for much longer.  Same for Foam Dome for other CU fans.  Going to t game time to get used to CU Events Center...unless naming rights are about to be sold.

Winning teams with national attention make big bucks with naming rights.  For both basketball and football, Colorado's timing isn't very good right now.

18 hours ago, Downthefield said:

Winning teams with national attention make big bucks with naming rights.  For both basketball and football, Colorado's timing isn't very good right now.

More like CU has had a few deals in place over the course of the last few years only to see it fall apart.  And given the naming rights issues at Mile High Stadium in Denver, CU is probably being cautious as well.  Coors Field in Denver has the same type of deal that the Coors Events Center in Boulder had...naming rights for as long as it makes sense but Coors hasn't been giving $.  Without Coors on the baseball stadium, it would have been called Columbia Field or Park.

CU and the Rockies are not sell outs when it comes to naming rights and prefer local deals which hasn't worked out for the Broncos so naming rights deals are going to be harder to come by in the state of Colorado.  A CSU donor paid CSU $20 million to keep Sonny Lubick's name on the playing field for like 20 years like Folsom Field but the stadium name remains.  That's why the stadium in Ft. Collins is actually called Sonny Lubick Field at Colorado State Stadium while CU's is Folsom Field at Colorado Stadium although you typically only hear or see "Folsom Field"...just like the Broncos stadium which is <insert corporation name> Field at Mile High Stadium.  Given the issue of the Mile High Stadium naming issues, it has probably trickled down to both CFB stadiums.  No one wants to be left with a bankrupt corporation name on the stadium or a marijuana related business name on the stadium either.

Changes to the US tax code related with donations to athletic departments might have cooled the market for naming rights as well.

That new Hayward Field could be quite something.

http://goheels.com/news/2018/1/7/football-individual-seats-coming-in-kenan-stadium.aspx

North Carolina is replacing all their bleachers with individual seats which would reduce capacity to 51,000 from 63,000.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this occur at some Pac-12 stadiums.  I have seen talk of the same being done to Folsom Field in the future.

12 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

UO new track stadium opening in '20.

https://around.uoregon.edu/hayward

Wow, that will be a really impressive track stadium, probably the best in the US.

I do think something will be lost when the old Hayward Field goes away though. There is so much history in that stadium, and it has such character in its current form. A gleaming new super stadium will remove all of that. Makes me want to see a track meet at the existing Hayward Field at least once before it is gone. The renovation reminds me a little of when Arsenal moved from Highbury (38,000 seat stadium built in 1913) to their current modern stadium the Emirates. Something was lost forever in that move, IMHO.