2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 10/4/2023 at 7:02 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I have no problem with Utah doing this, and it actually seems they're doing it right by not giving a Lambo to the QB and a Yugo to the long-snapper.  My problem is on another level, a discomfort that college football has come to this.  It appears, though, that there's no turning back.

I mean, they’re Rams.  What could they possibly cost, ten dollars?

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:22 AM, Orange said:

I mean, they’re Rams.  What could they possibly cost, ten dollars?

I believe they said they were $61k or so. Not "giving" the players the car, but a 4 yr. lease with insurance is my understanding.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:46 PM, KUGRDON said:

And somebody said am NIL was not a way to get around title nine. How many field hockey players got trucks?

Nothing to prevent it. I know Utah women's gymnastics has some lucrative NIL. Free market and whatnot.

Unfortunately women's sports generally not as marketable as men's. The college football players generate a lot of revenue for schools, coaches and networks. I find it disingenuous when folks cry about how paying the kids a little bit ruins "amateur" athletics and college football while everyone else profits ( average P5 head coach makes $6.2M/year ) 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, Mano said:

Nothing to prevent it. I know Utah women's gymnastics has some lucrative NIL. Free market and whatnot.

Unfortunately women's sports generally not as marketable as men's. The college football players generate a lot of revenue for schools, coaches and networks. I find it disingenuous when folks cry about how paying the kids a little bit ruins "amateur" athletics and college football while everyone else profits ( average P5 head coach makes $6.2M/year ) 

Republicans like Don only appreciate the free market if the "traditional" parties benefit and suffer from it. (i.e. white men benefit, all others suffer)

On 10/5/2023 at 3:03 PM, Orange said:

Republicans like Don only appreciate the free market if the "traditional" parties benefit and suffer from it. (i.e. white men benefit, all others suffer)

do you think I am being critical of the fact that NIL is a way to get around title nine?  Do you really think that I would complain and want more money to go to women’s volleyball, basketball, soccer and field hockey players, etc.?  Do you think any conservative anywhere is bemoaning the fact that college football players make more money than college field hockey players?  Your mind is a wormhole.

Title nine is entirely the creation of liberalism.  I find it immensely interesting that perhaps the most liberal of all modern American institutions, higher education, is using NIL to gut title nine in order to protect college football, its connection to alumni, legislators and the general public.

I’m wondering if the next step is for Fox and ESPN to get more directly involved in providing NIL money to ensure that the most media attractive football players play in the largest media markets each network owns.  Fox and ESPN are increasingly. Proactive in shaping the content of one of its most profitable TV shows, CFB.  The next step seem logically to be getting the players who can generate the most money to the largest television markets.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, KUGRDON said:

do you think I am being critical of the fact that NIL is a way to get around title nine?  Do you really think that I would complain and want more money to go to women’s volleyball basketball, soccer hockey players, etc.?  Your mind is a wormhole.

Title nine is entirely the creation of liberalism.  I find it immensely interesting that perhaps the most liberal of all modern American institutions, higher education, is using NIL to gut title nine in order to protect college football, its connection to alumni, legislators and the general public.

Regardless of where one stands on the liberal/progressive vs conservative/reactionary spectrum, when all is said and done, just about every knowledgable observer is aware of one core thing -- football pays the bills.  All of them.  It pays for the volleyball spike and the backwards somersault.  Every lacrosse pass is funded by some Saturday touchdown, whether you ascribe to critical race theory or want to build a border wall.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 6:27 PM, KUGRDON said:

do you think I am being critical of the fact that NIL is a way to get around title nine?  Do you really think that I would complain and want more money to go to women’s volleyball, basketball, soccer and field hockey players, etc.?  Do you think any conservative anywhere is bemoaning the fact that college football players make more money than college field hockey players?  Your mind is a wormhole.

No, I'm fully aware that you KNOW that Xcountry and softball and all other sports will get nothing, and that's WHY you want NIL destroyed entirely, not unlike how the GOP consistently defunds and destroys good governance and then stands back and says "see???  It doesn't work!!!" whenever anyone wants to use government to benefit someone not already privileged and rich. (See the cuts the GOP wants to the budget -- ALL entitlements, zero cuts to defense contractor handouts.)

Using NIL to gut title IX is not even remotely related to the equal rights movement.  In fact, "Liberalism" -- the catch-all term you use for ANYONE who's not an arch-right-wing conservative like you -- is the philosophy of merely ensuring the status quo remains, which is entirely in keeping with (a) not reducing the billions that the NCAA/College programs get, and (b) giving a pittance to (mostly black) CFB players, which you predictably detest.  Then you disingenuously pretend you're fighting for field-hockey players as you protest the idea of ANYONE but coaches/administrators getting wealthy off of the monetization of college sports.

I’m wondering if the next step is for Fox and ESPN to get more directly involved in providing NIL money to ensure that the most media attractive football players play in the largest media markets each network owns.  Fox and ESPN are increasingly. Proactive in shaping the content of one of its most profitable TV shows, CFB.  The next step seem logically to be getting the players who can generate the most money to the largest television markets.

Indeed, that's unadulterated capitalism smothering higher education, an unsustainable, vicious, abusive force that you support with your whole heart because you're a brainwashed, old white man who watches Fox.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:48 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Regardless of where one stands on the liberal/progressive vs conservative/reactionary spectrum, when all is said and done, just about every knowledgable observer is aware of one core thing -- football pays the bills.  All of them.  It pays for the volleyball spike and the backwards somersault.  Every lacrosse pass is funded by some Saturday touchdown, whether you ascribe to critical race theory or want to build a border wall.

No, it does not pay for the volleyball spike, it pays for the $80 million locker room and the $150M stadium expansion and the $70M gourmet players' lounge, etc.  It pays for huge, disgusting, needless excess, and then in the same breath says "OMG, you field hockey players who work three jobs to afford rent and play in anonymity should feel blessed!"

I mean, we're LITERALLY watching end-stage capitalism and the results of what the "trickle-down" market does when taxes stop paying a lick for education for the masses, and @KUGRDON still walks around here like his opinions should be worth a shit given how wrong he's been for literally his entire adult life.

Tell us more about how taxpayers are getting ripped off by paying for kids' school lunches, Don.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, Orange said:

I mean, we're LITERALLY watching end-stage capitalism and the results of what the "trickle-down" market does when taxes stop paying a lick for education for the masses, and @KUGRDON still walks around here like his opinions should be worth a shit given how wrong he's been for literally his entire adult life.

Tell us more about how taxpayers are getting ripped off by paying for kids' school lunches, Don.

That was really your only option, change the subject. Lol you’re so predictable.

On 10/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, Mano said:

I believe they said they were $61k or so. Not "giving" the players the car, but a 4 yr. lease with insurance is my understanding.

It's a lease as long as those players are on scholarship. Players don't care if it's a lease. Just that they don't have to pay for anything including ins. They do have to do a community service project as part of the program.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:41 PM, Scscsc89 said:

IMG_1958.jpeg

If this is all true, what a terrible fuck up by Randall. Bad info. Lack of research.

Some bonehead economics professor understands the landscape, logistics and market demand/conditions of closed door driven media contracts worth billions of dollars? I say no. My 7 year old dog could figure out that the 10 PAC schools left weren’t worth $50 mill/per. 

Randall is a new President and needed to learn these ropes before opening his mouth.  If this is true, very embarrassing, especially since Utah wanted to stay in the P12. The other 9 Presidents that bought into this bullshit and didn’t stop it are to blame as well.