2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 11/25/2023 at 11:13 PM, utenation said:

Remember what I said about Billy Napier?  Just a guess but I think the hook will be coming soon. 

Lost their last 5. That won’t sit well with the mob. 

What did you say about Billy Napier?

The "hook" isn't coming anytime soon.  Napier inherited a Florida team that was in total disarray.  Last January I said they wouldn't beat Utah, and I said after the Utah game that Florida would struggle to become bowl eligible.

And look at their last five losses:  Georgia, FSU, LSU, Missouri and Arkansas.  Only the Arkansas is a head scratcher, but it's also a head scratcher that Florida was able to beat Tennessee.  The other four?  Two are probably going to make the CFP, another is in the Top-10 (and most likely will climb higher), while the fourth (LSU) has three loses to #1 Georgia, BAMA and a road loss to Ole Miss, who is good enough to be a Top-10 team.

That being said, everyone who knows Florida and the SEC (which you don't) knows that Napier took over a struggling Florida program.

And everyone that's in leadership roles, and who knows a thing or two about sports, knows that if they terminate Napier after only two seasons of a program that was struggling when he was handed the job, also knows that they would not be able to land a quality coach after terminating a coach after only two seasons.  The message they would be sending is:  "We expect you to take over a broken program and win big in less than two years, otherwise we're going to terminate you." .... With that message, no coach of any quality is going to sign up for that job under that leadership.

No hook is coming, Einstein.  Napier will get at least two more years.  Your guess is a lousy guess.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:12 PM, Buff_Fan said:

Apparently so!  Be curious to see what the fighting primes look like 

Interesting post game from Sanders yesterday.  I thought Staub played well.  71% completion rate, 200 Yds, 1 TD and no picks.  Freshman, decent size.  Utah’s defense is still decent even beat up. 

Reporter asked Sanders about Staub’s future at CU. Deion said he knows he wants to play next year but doesn’t know if it will be at CU or somewhere else. 

He then followed it up with how good Shedeur will be next year with some “ help”.  Shedeur is probably the better QB but Sander’s response tells me he has no intention of building the program and protect future assets. At least say there will be a competition next year.  But being daddy and coach can’t be healthy for the overall program. 

This situation tells me Sanders is just going to blast the transfer portal for everything, not build anything from the ground up and skip town if he gets CU winning and bounce to another program. 

Line for the title game is Oregon -9.5. 

I’ll take the Ducks by 7.  

It will be interesting to see where Ohio State lands in the CFP. I also think Oregon should jump Florida State. FSU is a paper tiger without their star QB.  Struggled with a bad Florida team also missing their starting QB. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:29 AM, glduck said:

That line is wild. Unless Penix is hurt, that back shoulder fade is still unstoppable, and Vegas should know he doesn’t miss those when he plays Oregon.

Oregon is the most balanced team in the country. # 2 in total offense, # 2 in scoring offense. # 15 in total defense # 7 in scoring defense. 

The Ducks have road graded everyone after the UW game. Washington has struggled each week for awhile now. Both teams have kinda went in different directions. 

I can see why Vegas is almost 10 points. But I think Washington keeps this tight because that’s just how this conference is. 

On 11/26/2023 at 9:58 AM, utenation said:

Line for the title game is Oregon -9.5. 

I’ll take the Ducks by 7.  

It will be interesting to see where Ohio State lands in the CFP. I also think Oregon should jump Florida State. FSU is a paper tiger without their star QB.  Struggled with a bad Florida team also missing their starting QB. 

IMO I see them putting tOSU at 5, gives them room to backdoor tOSU into the playoff if the games next week break right for them (UGA, Wash win & FSU loses).

On 11/25/2023 at 9:43 AM, utenation said:

@Trojan209

Looks like USC is making a push for our DC, Scalley.

I don’t think he takes this job. I think he’s waiting for Kyle to retire, then get the Utah job. 

He’s paid well at Utah. But I bet USC’s offer was a nice chunk of change. 

https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/utah-dc-morgan-scalley-targeted-by-usc-trojans-to-fix-defense

Yea, similar to Gary Patterson it would be a cultural clash but I think either could be really successful here. A few rumors are picking up that USC is waiting to see what happens with Aranda. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:23 AM, Trojan209 said:

Yea, similar to Gary Patterson it would be a cultural clash but I think either could be really successful here. A few rumors are picking up that USC is waiting to see what happens with Aranda. 

Hmmm. Never thought of that one. Probably a win/win depending on how hot his seat is at Baylor.