2023 Bowls

Scscsc89

On 12/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, Orange said:

Yes, I recognized the mediocrity that is Gulbranson.  Chatfield and Irish, too.  That’s 3 out of 22 that started before. 

It’s the worst it’s ever been and I love bowl games. The Utah effort with 5 starters opting out on top of all the season ending injuries and transfers is making it unwatchable.  Almost makes you feel like the last regular season game is the final test. 

Hopefully this changes with the playoff expansion. But I won’t hold my breath. 

My buddy(casual WSU fan) was excited to watch Oregon State/ND game. I told him OSU has nobody left including a top shelf coach.  He knew about Smith but not the rest. 

Opt outs are one thing — and I do agree that opt outs alone have significantly changed bowl season — but it’s even more crazy that the transfer portal opens *during the season.* Imagine if MLB free agency hit in September and you lose your staff ace before the playoffs even begin. 

On 12/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, glduck said:

Opt outs are one thing — and I do agree that opt outs alone have significantly changed bowl season — but it’s even more crazy that the transfer portal opens *during the season.* Imagine if MLB free agency hit in September and you lose your staff ace before the playoffs even begin. 

If they made some rules that the portal along with signing day don’t start and open up until bowl season is over it would go a long way. 

Also, since this is now a business for players, create contracts for players on a pay for play format.  Throw in signing bonuses for guaranteed money but we need to quit letting CFB implode on itself. 

If you want to opt out for the NFL, fine. You’ll probably get paid either way. But this fucked up mess needs some guard rails. 

There's a second window in a couple months, for some reason. Just push the december one out until the playoff is over. But it's still just kicking the can down the road as we head towards a true minor league. 

• Like 1

This Fiesta Bowl has all the intrigue of a spring game. Since Fla State was always going to go into tank mode after getting relegated out of the CFP, should have stuck them with the G5 and had Oregon/Georgia. But I know “best matchup” is never a factor in bowl selection.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, glduck said:

This Fiesta Bowl has all the intrigue of a spring game. Since Fla State was always going to go into tank mode after getting relegated out of the CFP, should have stuck them with the G5 and had Oregon/Georgia. But I know “best matchup” is never a factor in bowl selection.

Another good match up would have been Oregon vs Ole Miss. 

On 1/1/2024 at 12:19 PM, utenation said:

lol at Liberty. What an embarrassment of a team. Didn’t belong in this game. 

It’s an embarrassment of a university.  Everyone associated with it is trash.    

Def wanted to see Oregon v. Georgia.  

Yay, 12 team playoff just in time for my program to get assfucked by a bunch of greedy traitors and probably never crack the rankings.   Again, fellate me, college football, you giant sack of shit.