Deboer new HC at BAMA - Not The Right Hire

HLB

I know many at UW are disappointed to see Deboer leave Seattle and head to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but rest assured, not everyone in Tuscaloosa is excited about the move either.

Many fear that he will turn Tuscaloosa into Tuscalooser.

After UW physically outplayed Texas and advanced to the NC Game, I acknowledged that I was wrong about UW, because I never saw them as a team that played physically enough to match with a physical team like Texas.  And it fooled me.  Because the following week, UW could not match the physicality of Michigan, who did to UW what I had expected Texas to do.

What I also learned is that I was, and had been, right about Washington and the PAC12 all along:  This was not a conference and a team that is as physical as other conferences and teams.

The "one-off" win over Texas was an outstanding performance where everything lined up as a "perfect storm".  But to suggest that that win demonstrated that Washington was as strong and physical as other top programs in the country would be an overstatement.

When Portland State, Sacramento State, and other FCS teams defeated a PAC12 program (which seemed to happen every year); or when Hawaii, or Fresno State, Boise State, or anyone of the G5 MWC teams defeated a PAC12 team; that did not mean that those teams were capable of beating all PAC12 teams, week-in and week-out.  It meant that those teams outplayed the one team they faced, in what may be called a "perfect storm" type of win.

What UW's loss to Michigan demonstrated to me, was that UW was not built to regularly face top-tier physical teams and win with consistently.  Over the last 20 years, the B1G, SEC and even the ACC have been bigger hills to climb than the PAC12.

At Alabama, Deboer will quickly learn that the SEC isn't the PAC12.  That the weekly competition is more physical, more talented, and more demanding.  That the expectations of teams in the SEC is to win a National Championship.  Winning the SEC Championship is just a formality in the process of playing for a NC.

While Deboer and his family appear to be good people, on many levels, I'm afraid that Deboer will be blinded by the reality of life in the SEC, versus life in the PAC12 and MWC.  As Lane Kiffin learned, "CFB and winning means so much more in the SEC".

Bryan Harsin left Boise State and took his big ego to Auburn, thinking he knew more than he knew.  Before the first season was over, Auburn fans already wanted him gone.  Because of his lack-luster recruiting ("I recruited plenty of 2 and 3 start players at Boise State and we won games against P5 schools").  True, he had some "one-off" wins over P5 programs, but he underestimated of what life is like, week-in and week-out, playing in a P5 conference.  And before his second season was complete, he was "out" at Auburn.

While Deboer doesn't possess Harsin's ego, I'm afraid that Deboer will equally underestimate the things that Harsin underestimated, and won't be ready for the weekly grind, the fan expectations, and the intensity of how "CFB and winning means so much more in the SEC".

In 2024, BAMA plays @Wisconsin, Georgia, @Tennessee, Missouri, @LSU, @Oklahoma, and Auburn.  I think a Deboer-led team will lose at least four of those games (Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and either Oklahoma or Auburn) and the honeymoon will long be over.  And recruiting will suffer.

While the 2025 SEC schedule has yet to be released, playing @FSU and hosting Wisconsin won't be easy OOC games.  And unless there is dramatic improvement, Deboer might receive the same fate that Harsin received and be out before the 2nd season is over.

Deboer has a challenge that is higher than he realizes.  This league is more physical, has more talent throughout the conference, and the weekly and season expectations are much, much higher.  This isn't UW, and this isn't the PAC12.  And like Harsin, I don't think he knows what he's getting into, and I don't expect his tenure at BAMA to last very long.  And that's sad to say because he seems to be a good man.  IMO, Deboer is not the right hire.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:41 AM, HLB said:

I think you meant "Tusca-loser." It's a common mistake, Many people don't know that the word "loser" only has one "o."

Winning the SEC Championship is just a formality in the process of playing for a NC.

Maybe not  so much anymore.

While Deboer and his family appear to be good people, on many levels, I'm afraid that Deboer will be blinded by the reality of life in the SEC

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? And by the way it's DeBoer.

We're nearing that point where we'll separate off into Big-12, B1G, or ACC forums (if such places exist.)  Or maybe there'll be something still going for the Pac-2.  We can all hope for the best, but perhaps the most desirable result will be for those of us who end up in a place where HLB doesn't follow.

• Like 1

I know many at UW are disappointed to see Deboer leave Seattle and head to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but rest assured, not everyone in Tuscaloosa is excited about the move either.

After UW physically outplayed Texas and advanced to the NC Game, I acknowledged that I was wrong about UW, because I never saw them as a team that played physically enough to match with a physical team like Texas.  And it fooled me.  Because the following week, UW could not match the physicality of Michigan, who did to UW what I had expected Texas to do.

What I also learned is that I was, and had been, right about Washington and the PAC12 all along:  This was not a conference and a team that is as physical as other conferences and teams.

The "one-off" win over Texas was an outstanding performance where everything lined up as a "perfect storm".  But to suggest that that win demonstrated that Washington was as strong and physical as other top programs in the country would be an overstatement.

When Portland State, Sacramento State, and other FCS teams defeated a PAC12 program (which seemed to happen every year); or when Hawaii, or Fresno State, Boise State, or anyone of the G5 MWC teams defeated a PAC12 team; that did not mean that those teams were capable of beating all PAC12 teams, week-in and week-out.  It meant that those teams outplayed the one team they faced, in what may be called a "perfect storm" type of win.

What UW's loss to Michigan demonstrated to me, was that UW was not built to regularly face top-tier physical teams and win with consistently.  Over the last 20 years, the B1G, SEC and even the ACC have been bigger hills to climb than the PAC12.

At Alabama, Deboer will quickly learn that the SEC isn't the PAC12.  That the weekly competition is more physical, more talented, and more demanding.  That the expectations of teams in the SEC is to win a National Championship.  Winning the SEC Championship is just a formality in the process of playing for a NC.

While Deboer and his family appear to be good people, on many levels, I'm afraid that Deboer will be blinded by the reality of life in the SEC, versus life in the PAC12 and MWC.  As Lane Kiffin learned, "CFB and winning means so much more in the SEC".

Bryan Harsin left Boise State and took his big ego to Auburn, thinking he knew more than he knew.  Before the first season was over, Auburn fans already wanted him gone.  Because of his lack-luster recruiting ("I recruited plenty of 2 and 3 start players at Boise State and we won games against P5 schools").  True, he had some "one-off" wins over P5 programs, but he underestimated of what life is like, week-in and week-out, playing in a P5 conference.  And before his second season was complete, he was "out" at Auburn.

While Deboer doesn't possess Harsin's ego, I'm afraid that Deboer will equally underestimate the things that Harsin underestimated, and won't be ready for the weekly grind, the fan expectations, and the intensity of how "CFB and winning means so much more in the SEC".

In 2024, BAMA plays @Wisconsin, Georgia, @Tennessee, Missouri, @LSU, @Oklahoma, and Auburn.  I think a Deboer-led team will lose at least four of those games (Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and either Oklahoma or Auburn) and the honeymoon will long be over.  And recruiting will suffer.

While the 2025 SEC schedule has yet to be released, playing @FSU and hosting Wisconsin won't be easy OOC games.  And unless there is dramatic improvement, Deboer might receive the same fate that Harsin received and be out before the 2nd season is over.

Deboer has a challenge that is higher than he realizes.  This league is more physical, has more talent throughout the conference, and the weekly and season expectations are much, much higher.  This isn't UW, and this isn't the PAC12.  And like Harsin, I don't think he knows what he's getting into, and I don't expect his tenure at BAMA to last very long.  And that's sad to say because he seems to be a good man.  IMO, Deboer is not the right hire.

lol, imagine reading all that. 

• Haha 1