2017 PAC-12 baseball/softball thread

MrBug708

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have no problem with small ball. horton even backed off of it last year and we finished in the middle of the conference in sacrifices (as opposed to leading the nation). oregon's problem lately is 100% talent. we have none.

Is this the result of small ball? Do players not want to play small ball?

baseball recruiting is nutty. our very first class was #2 in the nation because we signed 25 players. we've had other solidly-rated classes and the top 4-5 players each year all jumped straight to pro ball.

we've had a team for 8 years (just started our 9th) and we've made the tournament in 5 of those seasons. we've only had one losing season, our first year. we've been productive, the postseason success just hasn't been there. only one super regional appearance.

things are trendy downward, though. the talent level has really gone downhill. we've cornered the market on small, weak-hitting infielders. we lost consecutive aces to tommy john surgery and neither were the same afterward, and we just don't have the depth of a power school to overcome those losses. our friday/saturday rotation guys this year, based on previous seasons and early returns from this past weekend, are *awful*.

we split a 4 game series @ fresno state last weekend, which is actually a little better than i was expecting. it's still going to be a long year.

Good summary of why following college baseball is hard.  probably true of all baseball that isnt MLB.

I've come to the comfortable compromise of trying to attend a single game when USC visits the Bay Area every year & following the postseason when they (infrequently) make it.  Anything more just feels like work.

• 2 weeks later...

oregon baseball is 6-4 after taking 2/3 from an always strong mississippi state program who obliterated us in starksville last year.

ducks have yet to drop a series this year, which is well beyond my expectations. i didn't think we had much talent but this freshman class is the best we've had in years, and we're using 5 frosh in the everyday lineup + practically our entire bullpen.

oregon softball is #4 in the country and 19-0.

Archived