2017 PAC-12 baseball/softball thread

MrBug708

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oregon led for exactly 0 of the 27 innings this weekend against stanford, getting swept at home for the first time since 2011.

oregon softball, after starting out 35-0, lost it's third consecutive series 2-1 to #3 arizona. all three series losses have come to top 10 programs, but i suppose all that really means is we don't belong in that tier. 

4 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Cal with 3 straight walk-offs to sweep USC.  it's like watching the Giants' bullpen

I looked it up.  Your closer came into the series with a 1.09 ERA but got clobbered twice by Vaughn.  Vaughn was just named the national POY so perhaps Derda will be back to normal in no time. 

it's been rainy as fuck here all spring but today was gorgeous so i finally made it out to PK Park. ducks beat arizona state 2-0 behind a complete game 20 strike out night from david peterson.

20 K's would tie the major league record, but according to the UO stats guy the ncaa record is 26 set by a guy from miami (ohio) in 1971. 26 of 27 outs by K? damn. 

On 4/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, glduck said:

it's been rainy as fuck here all spring but today was gorgeous so i finally made it out to PK Park. ducks beat arizona state 2-0 behind a complete game 20 strike out night from david peterson.

20 K's would tie the major league record, but according to the UO stats guy the ncaa record is 26 set by a guy from miami (ohio) in 1971. 26 of 27 outs by K? damn. 

Holy shit!  

This sent me on a nerd-out over Div I baseball records, and the figures are ridiculous.  No wonder college ball has been a joke for so long.  Record for hits in one game?  9.  Dude went 9/9.  

Most home runs in a game?  6.  

Most home runs in season: 48 by Pete Incavaglia. 

Robin Ventura put Joe DiMaggio to shame with 58 consecutive games hit safely.  

24—Michael Casteel, Howard: That's how many earned runs allowed in one game.  That might be the most impressive.  Was the bullpen phone broken?  It was 1997, they were playing Kansas.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_RB/2012/D1.pdf

It's a surprisingly entertaining read.  Now on to find Little League records....

3 hours ago, Orange said:

Zona is 1-6 the past 2 weeks, but still in the top 20.  I wonder if the projected field of 64 would take away their regional hosting at this point.  

If they keep playing like they are now they'll miss the entire post season.

baseball:

1. oregon state 18-3 (34-4) RPI #1

2. stanford 11-7 (27-12) RPI #13

3. cal 12-9 (20-21) RPI #76

4. wash 10-8 (24-17) RPI #51

4. ucla 10-8 (21-19) RPI #60

6. oregon 8-10 (25-14) RPI #61

7. arizona 9-12 (27-15) RPI #12

7. utah 9-12 (19-19) RPI #52

9. wazzu 6-12 (20-21) RPI #115

9. asu 6-12 (19-22) RPI #95

9. usc 6-12 (19-22) RPI #80

arizona is still holding onto a great RPI, which obviously will help them. 

pac-12 is looking like a 4-bid league, MAYBE 5 if oregon stops doing stupid shit (example: 3 runners thrown out at home plate saturday in a 1-run loss). osu and stanford are locks, and stanford's hot streak has vaulted them into hosting consideration. arizona is firmly in the field at this point, but they're going in the opposite direction of stanford. still, that RPI... washington looks like they'd be in if the field was announced today.

oregon's record is postseason-worthy but they still have to play oregon state FIVE FUCKING TIMES, so that won't help. at least our rpi should actually go up no matter the amount of losses we take. oregon's problem is that they're not good enough to sweep anybody in conference, and they choke away should-be 3-0 weekend like they did last weekend against asu, a team that was just asking to be swept. we're constantly stepping on the rake that halts any momentum we attempt to build up. 

SOFTBALL'N

1. arizona 17-4

2. utah 12-4

3. oregon 14-6

4. wash 11-7

4. ucla 11-7

6. asu 7-11

7. osu 6-12

8. cal 3-14

9. stanford 1-17

softball, meanwhile, is an absolute bloodbath. zona, utah, oregon, wash, and ucla will all host regionals. the ducks had lost three straight conference series prior to this weekend, but we remain #6 in the country because we're losing to fellow top 10 teams. we invite #1 florida state to eugene this weekend for what should be a nice respite from the non-stop bludgeoning of conference play.

2 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

Oregon softball takes two from #2 ranked Florida St, and goes for the sweep today.

Playing in the ACC helps FSU. They'd be an average team in the PAC-12. It looks impressive though on paper

#5 oregon completes the 3-game sweep of #2 florida state. i thought a series loss might kick us out of a top 8 seed and hosting duties through the super regionals, but that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

now we just need to hope the committee doesn't pit too many of us against one another leading up to the CWS.

Archived