Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the B1G failing to get into the F4 was almost as satisfying as the Pac getting in. With so few non-conference games this year, we were told — without the proper metrics — that the 2020-21 B1G was perhaps the greatest conference of all time. B1G teams were rewarded for beating their own, and not punished for losing. Ohio State was a 2 seed with 9 losses going into the Dance! 9 losses in a shortened season!

Meanwhile, we were told the Pac-12 was mediocre, and for most of the season we had a lone Top 25 representative — never more than two. A loss by a ranked Pac team would plummet them out of the rankings, and a new team would enter. Until they lost, and were replaced.

So watching the B1G crash in burn in the first and second rounds, and ultimately failing to get a single team into the F4, was highly satisfying. I’m not always big into the media bias game, but this season was shaped almost exclusively on media bias. That data simply wasn’t available to make the projections people were making, and that’s why the B1G folded and the Pac outplayed their seeds to the extent they did.

The defense of the Big-10 was funny. "They beat up their own". Stephen A Smith, of all people, called out this bizarre take. You should BETTER after facing a gauntlet in your conference, not worse. At least Michigan had an excuse after losing their best player and they made the Elite 8. Some of the other teams were huge choke artists.

4 hours ago, EastCoastFan said:

With nearly $40 million heading the Pac-12's way from the NCAA for our success, the most ever to aby conference, the distribution of that cash is a welcome gift to Covid-dollar-starved athletic departments in places like Pullman, Berkeley, and Salt Lake City.

I think the entire conference took a big haircut in 2020 for COVID, including the P12 front office.  I don't know the exact numbers for each school but it was pretty bad..

59 minutes ago, Scorcho said:

now I fully expect Cronin will be let go next Monday because UCLA failed to make it to the championship game and because Bruin fans don't like Mick's grinding pace

Everybody's standards are different.  USC and Arizona fully accept what the FBI was looking for.  Utah accepts a coaching transfer from Logan.  Tinkle is so accepted that they'll probably put a shrine for him on top of Mount Hood, thumbing his nose in the direction of Eugene.

Next year, when everything is (hopefully) back to normal, I want the first and second round to go back to its traditional Thursday-Sunday spot — but I absolutely loved having the Sweet 16 the following weekend, followed by the Elite Eight on Monday-Tuesday in prime time. Hope that change sticks.

2 hours ago, Scorcho said:

unbelievable run by the Bruins, congrats!

now I fully expect Cronin will be let go next Monday because UCLA failed to make it to the championship game and because Bruin fans don't like Mick's grinding pace

It's been funny perusing the boards of many of the fan bases that we've beaten and most of them still hold onto this archaic belief. I think going forward, our AD might start holding the program to higher accountability, but hopefully we are past the days of holding our coaches past their expiration dates.

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

Everybody's standards are different.  USC and Arizona fully accept what the FBI was looking for.  Utah accepts a coaching transfer from Logan.  Tinkle is so accepted that they'll probably put a shrine for him on top of Mount Hood, thumbing his nose in the direction of Eugene.

I get what you are trying to do, and it is stupid.

In the past, Utah accepted a coaching transfer from Bowling Green to its football program ( Urban Meyer ) and they accepted a coaching transfer from Ball State to its basketball program ( Rick Majerus ). Even UCLA accepted a coaching transfer from Indiana State ( John Wooden ). Everyone starts somewhere.

2 hours ago, EastCoastFan said:

If we make the tourney next year, yes.

like, literally, yes.

Has a team that had to get into the round of 64 via play-in game ever made the Final Four?  I know there's not much history to work with, but I'm way too lazy to google...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see VCU practically just did.

42 minutes ago, Mano said:

I get what you are trying to do, and it is stupid.

In the past, Utah accepted a coaching transfer from Bowling Green to its football program ( Urban Meyer ) and they accepted a coaching transfer from Ball State to its basketball program ( Rick Majerus ). Even UCLA accepted a coaching transfer from Indiana State ( John Wooden ). Everyone starts somewhere.

Hey, it's not what I'm "trying to do."  C'mon.  Read the Ute forums, that's where the "Maybe he'll be okay" and "He's not the one we wanted" comments are coming from.   Pac-12 fan bases are in different places.  ASU's are waiting for the Hurly-offer on the east coast.  Udub's are cranky and won't put up too long with an imitation Boeheim.  Colorado's are in some dream-world where they think they could do better than Boyle.  Wazzu's are ecstatic that their NET ratings soared thirty places without them playing a game.  Stanford's are saying "Basketball?  Yeah, the women are doing fine!"  Oregon's fans are where they always are, whether basketball or football -- "We're gonna kill it in the next recruiting class and the future will be ours!"

2 hours ago, glduck said:

Next year, when everything is (hopefully) back to normal, I want the first and second round to go back to its traditional Thursday-Sunday spot — but I absolutely loved having the Sweet 16 the following weekend, followed by the Elite Eight on Monday-Tuesday in prime time. Hope that change sticks.

I enjoyed it, but I don't think it would work well with fans.  If a team wins a Thur/Fri game that was unexpected, then it is easier for fans to plan for a Sat/Sun game instead of a game during the work week.

2 hours ago, EastCoastFan said:

Hey, it's not what I'm "trying to do."  C'mon.  Read the Ute forums, that's where the "Maybe he'll be okay" and "He's not the one we wanted" comments are coming from.   Pac-12 fan bases are in different places.  ASU's are waiting for the Hurly-offer on the east coast.  Udub's are cranky and won't put up too long with an imitation Boeheim.  Colorado's are in some dream-world where they think they could do better than Boyle.  Wazzu's are ecstatic that their NET ratings soared thirty places without them playing a game.  Stanford's are saying "Basketball?  Yeah, the women are doing fine!"  Oregon's fans are where they always are, whether basketball or football -- "We're gonna kill it in the next recruiting class and the future will be ours!"

No, you implied Utah has low standards because they hired a coach from USU, which is stupid.

Some fans liked the hire, some did not. I am sure if we pull up the UCLA fan boards from when they hired Cronin there were plenty of detractors. Good coaches often come from smaller programs, identifying and hiring them is what good AD's do. It remains to be seen if Smith will work out, but implying Utah has low standards because they hired someone from USU is dumb.

3 hours ago, Orange said:

Has a team that had to get into the round of 64 via play-in game ever made the Final Four?  I know there's not much history to work with, but I'm way too lazy to google...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see VCU practically just did.

Basically the last time Shaka did anything

Archived