Politics: The Border

Scscsc89

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, the Berlin wall was only 91 miles long 

The total length of the US-Mexico border is 1,954 miles.

But sure, now let’s build 2 or 3 layers of fence.

Any one is welcome to post expert opinion on the efficiency/effectiveness of that idea too.

There were economic reasons for that which are no longer extant.  Plus, Obama was breaking records for deportations.  Finally the rules regarding families changed during Obama Admin and created a magnet.

I give you Trump is an asshole and a racist and everything he says on the subject is horrible.

Trump aside, 3% of those in the US are Hispanics who are here illegally.  That means every minute they are here they are subject to deportation.  It is illegal for them to work.  While they are dating, they are building futures without the legal ability to work and subject to deportation. When they marry, when they bear children, as they buy homes and raise there families they are subject to loss of job, arrest, family separation, and deportation.  

It is morally wrong to allow them to come under such circumstances, even more so to create incentives for them to come.  It is morally wrong to allow them to stay and build lives on such a foundation.

1.  Legislate a solution to DACA;

2.  Come to a consensus on immigration policy;

3.  Enforce the law to drastically increase compliance;

4.  Don’t create incentives or rewards to or for coming and staying illegally;

5.  Have citizens dictate through the political process who can come and in what numbers based on the interests of the United States rather than allowing immigrants to do so based on their individual interests as we have done for the last thirty years.

6.  Increase spending on walls, fences, barriers, Technology, Border Patrol, ICE, immigration courts, legal assistance and detention facilities to assure swift action and humane treatment.

Every time someone is deported it is an emergency.  Avoid those emergencies by doing everything possible to enforce the law upon entry.  Compassion demands certainty in the immigration process.

If they want to drastically reduce illegal immigration, the most effective method would be to enforce stiff penalties for anyone who hires them, period. If they are unable to gain employment here, they will not come. Neither side is interested in actually stopping the illegals from coming in, as they serve political agendas and many businesses rely on undocumented workers. 

Just now, azgreg said:

There's no way congress will do anything to piss off the donor class.

Neither party wants to offend its constituency.  That’s what created room for Trump.  He is a symptom, not the problem.

12 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

We have a generous welfare system that they would want to take advantage of.  Get rid of the welfare system and see how much less people cross the border.

This is the adult's table.  You've already uttered  falsehood on this page by claiming the Dems spend more, and now you're falsely claiming that mexicans come here to take advantage of welfare.

If you can't be bothered to research your idiotic statements before you make them, then stop making them, stupid.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

This is the adult's table.  You've already uttered  falsehood on this page by claiming the Dems spend more, and now you're falsely claiming that mexicans come here to take advantage of welfare.

If you can't be bothered to research your idiotic statements before you make them, then stop making them, stupid.

This is rich coming from someone who ticked off a lot of posters on the MWC board.  Also rich coming from someone who lives in Bend OR which Wikipedia states that the populace is 91% white and not even 10% of the population is Hispanic or Latino.

And I have lived near Mexicans my life and even my own sister married one of them before divorcing him.  Trust me I know about those people who cross the border and no research is needed in this case when it comes to life experience.

Archived