Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 1/11/2024 at 5:51 PM, row Z said:

what a kick in the nads this appears to be ... 

actually, this account only has 96 followers so this might be bogus ... i hope. 

It is fake but the elephant in the room remains. Why hasn't he signed the extension yet? I bet he stays but the silence is loud right now. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:50 PM, EastCoastFan said:

What better time to negotiate for what you want, including more $$'s for staff?

How long does that take and why hasn't ANYTHING come out of Montlake about it? As far as we know, Lanning didn't even interview. KDB has. 

DeBoer was supposed to be interviewed at 8am this morning on local radio (KJR) this morning, but cancelled the appearance because he is apparently meeting with the UW AD. That is the chatter i am seeing on Twitter. DeBoer's agent is Jimmy Sexton, a heavyweight in college football (represents Saban, Sark, Kiffin, Norvell). I imagine Sexton is squeezing every last dollar out of UW for DeBoer. Fun.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:15 AM, row Z said:

DeBoer was supposed to be interviewed at 8am this morning on local radio (KJR) this morning, but cancelled the appearance because he is apparently meeting with the UW AD. That is the chatter i am seeing on Twitter. DeBoer's agent is Jimmy Sexton, a heavyweight in college football (represents Saban, Sark, Kiffin, Norvell). I imagine Sexton is squeezing every last dollar out of UW for DeBoer. Fun.

Looks like negotiations are underway. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39294498/deboer-negotiating-contract-alabama-replace-saban#

Does Washington like Grubb enough to make him an offer? (I don’t know if he’s seen as head coach material or not). He’d be fairly cheap, continuity, etc.

If not, I imagine Fisch would have to be the first call? Not saying he’d leave Arizona. They’re set up well, and I always assumed he’d wind up back in the NFL eventually. Taking Arizona to the CFP in ‘24 would probably do it.

Leipold? Klieman? Jonathan Smith would be hilarious, and set back a conference rival at the same time. He also comes with a QB!

Pete Carroll wouldn’t even need to move. 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, glduck said:

Does Washington like Grubb enough to make him an offer? (I don’t know if he’s seen as head coach material or not). He’d be fairly cheap, continuity, etc.

If not, I imagine Fisch would have to be the first call? Not saying he’d leave Arizona. They’re set up well, and I always assumed he’d wind up back in the NFL eventually. Taking Arizona to the CFP in ‘24 would probably do it.

Leipold? Klieman? Jonathan Smith would be hilarious, and set back a conference rival at the same time. He also comes with a QB!

Pete Carroll wouldn’t even need to move. 

You have hit all the names I was thinking of. I think Grubb definitely wants to be a head coach, but as we have all seen even promising first time head coaches don't always work out (Jimmy Lake etc.). 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:03 PM, KUGRDON said:

Husky fans now complaining about money ruining college football. Lol.

Well, to be fair, i was saying this a while back during all the realignment due to tv's influence. Losing coaches to higher paying programs is not a new thing.

By the way, am i correct that UW and WSU now share an experience of losing a high profile coach to Alabama after playing Michigan in a prominent end of season game? Didn't Mike Price leave after the Leaf and the Cougs almost beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl? That is kind of weird.

No Price won another Pac 12 championship and got the Cougs another Rose Bowl appearance before accepting the Alabama job.  WSU Didn’t let him coach in that Rose Bowl because some donors threw a hissy fit.  Price headed to a strip joint in the southeast and the rest is history.

one last thing about DeBoer. . .he’s the one who insisted UW oppose the Apple deal. . .and the rest is history.

Ahh, got it: in 1997 Price’s Cougs won the conference and played Michigan in the Rose, and then in 2002 they won the conference again and played Oklahoma in the Rose before he left for a date with Destiny. 

Yeah, DeBoer’s influence over the conference decision does not sit well with me.