Week 10

glduck

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game against Stanford this week really worries me.  Utes are feeling good about their position in the South right now, but I could see them losing to Stanford and Oregon. It has been a really weird season, I don't recall having more faith in the offense than the defense at Utah since the Jim Fassell days back in the late '80's / early 90's.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, Mano said:

The game against Stanford this week really worries me.  Utes are feeling good about their position in the South right now, but I could see them losing to Stanford and Oregon. It has been a really weird season, I don't recall having more faith in the offense than the defense at Utah since the Jim Fassell days back in the late '80's / early 90's.

6 freshman on the D, 3 in the DB and 3 on the DL. The defense is getting better, but isn't as good yet as past Utah squads. 

I attribute the offensive success to Cam Rising making great decisions. He has it, whatever it is. He's not super fast, but quick enough to run the ball when the D allows it. His arm isn't incredibly strong, but he's accurate and rarely throws balls into double coverage. I've been incredibly impressed with him. 

Not saying Chip has been good, but seems foolish to bail on him the first season the program is showing signs of life, unless of course you have a sure fire candidate waiting in the wings. UCLA has had 3 different head coaches since Utah entered the Pac, and the difference in continuity of the two programs is one reason the Utes have fared better over the past several years.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mano said:

Not saying Chip has been good, but seems foolish to bail on him the first season the program is showing signs of life, unless of course you have a sure fire candidate waiting in the wings. UCLA has had 3 different head coaches since Utah entered the Pac, and the difference in continuity of the two programs is one reason the Utes have fared better over the past several years.

I think the big difference is you guys have a good coach and we havent found it yet...lol

Chip preached tearing down the program to the studs before building it up. He preached the transfer portal over recruiting. He stuck with a system that has struggled in his four years. He hasn't been willing to fire his DC, despite having the worst defensive record in UCLA history with numerous broken records (not in a good way). They've given him his four years with more than a million dollars spent per win. In four years, he's beaten two teams that finish the season with a winning record. I think he's been given enough patience.

I think ucla is in jeopardy of falling into the Helton zone — he’ll probably trounce USC and win just enough to have an okay record on the surface.  Then people say, it’s not that bad & before you know you it, you’ve extended his contract for recruiting purposes & then you can’t get rid of him because his buyout is too large.

the difference with Chip is that he’s never seemed all that happy in his job.  HE may want out.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:40 PM, MrBug708 said:

I think the big difference is you guys have a good coach and we havent found it yet...lol

Chip preached tearing down the program to the studs before building it up. He preached the transfer portal over recruiting. He stuck with a system that has struggled in his four years. He hasn't been willing to fire his DC, despite having the worst defensive record in UCLA history with numerous broken records (not in a good way). They've given him his four years with more than a million dollars spent per win. In four years, he's beaten two teams that finish the season with a winning record. I think he's been given enough patience.

I don't know if Chip was a good hire, but once you make it, knowing he is "tearing the program to the studs before building it up", I think you have to give it some time. Last year really can't count, and they are vastly improved this year. If the start over again, they are behind another 3-4 years. I think the likelihood of Chip working out in the next few years is higher than the probability that they make a new hire that instantly turns the program around.

My Chip Take is the same as it is back when he was first hired. He was a fantastic innovator who helped shape the game into what it is today, but you role the dice with guys like that obviously because what made them great is now commonplace. I think he’s a good coach in 2021, probably not a great coach, unfortunately he works at a school where you probably need to be great to win. A lot of his stubborn habits that got shrugged off at Oregon because he won so much are a lot more visible now.

He is, right now, probably experiencing the apex of his time at UCLA where everything *should* be lined up for him: 4th year at the head of the program, senior QB, what should be the conference’s best run game, playing in a very weak conference overall; but he’s flirting with .500. I just don’t know if/how things get better.

I love Chip and I’ve found myself rooting hard for UCLA during his time there, I really want him to succeed, but I just don’t think it’s a great fit. It was a worthwhile gamble on UCLA’s part, it just didn’t work.

Oregon is #4 in the first CFP rankings, which is neat. tOSU is #5.

Will be interesting to see if/when they pass us. We have a stronger SOS to this point, so there’s no point in arguing against our head-to-head win. Will the committee continue to think that win is worth keeping us ahead if tOSU navigates a B1G schedule? In order for UO to make the CFP we’d have to beat Utah in November natch, thus turning around and beating them again the Pac CG isn’t going to wow anyone. Meanwhile, tOSU still has both Michigans, in addition to the B1G CG.

Honestly though, with Georgia-Bama 1-2, the stage is set for both getting in. And if Okie and Wake both win out (Wake seems more likely, right?) they’d have to be in regardless of what we do. Lots of hurdles, even if we start the CFP ranking process in the right spot.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:36 PM, glduck said:

Oregon is #4 in the first CFP rankings, which is neat. tOSU is #5.

Will be interesting to see if/when they pass us. We have a stronger SOS to this point, so there’s no point in arguing against our head-to-head win. Will the committee continue to think that win is worth keeping us ahead if tOSU navigates a B1G schedule? In order for UO to make the CFP we’d have to beat Utah in November natch, thus turning around and beating them again the Pac CG isn’t going to wow anyone. Meanwhile, tOSU still has both Michigans, in addition to the B1G CG.

Honestly though, with Georgia-Bama 1-2, the stage is set for both getting in. And if Okie and Wake both win out (Wake seems more likely, right?) they’d have to be in regardless of what we do. Lots of hurdles, even if we start the CFP ranking process in the right spot.

I think you're overlooking one of the biggest aspects of Oregon's future CFP ranking. Stanford is predicted to finish the year 3-9 or 4-8

Archived